Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Cayenne Diesel Oil Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 10:38 PM
2.panda.7
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2013 CD with 54k miles, do you recommend Jim Ellis? Thanks!
Old 09-21-2021, 03:51 PM
wineguy94920
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2014 CD Engine Re Seal for oil leak at Marin Porsche. Very satisfied.

My 2014 CD with 72000 miles began leaking, pointed out by my Indy dealer, Hi Tech Auto in Marin County CA. (They are top notch) went in and saw my long time SA at Marin Porsche. Showed a photo of leak, he said “ it’s covered “ will be a 2 plus week job””. Engine out re seal”. 100 % covered by Emissions warranty to 10 years from in service up to 120 K mi or at least 4 years from date of emissions fix. Gary at Marin Porsche is top notch.

Originally Posted by 2.panda.7
I have the same issue with my 2013 CD with 54k miles, do you recommend Jim Ellis? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2022, 10:54 AM
cozzydog
5th Gear

Originally Posted by lelandr
Hi All,

An update about my wife's CD. I spoke with the local Porsche dealer, and they have told me that any & all oil leaks are covered under the diesel warranty extension. It is at the dealer now having the repairs made. In our case, they just made the decision to fully reseal the motor, so every seal is being replaced. I was over there today and it is really in a million pieces.

I must say that I am very impressed with Porsche for this level of service for a car of this age (2013 w/ 90k miles). Although this should be the expectation, it is nice to see that it has gone so easily.
Lelandr,

I live in Canton, and have recently purchased a 2014 cayenne diesel with 13k miles. The rear main seal appears to be seeping a little bit even with these original low miles. I see you live in Alpharetta. What dealer did you bring your cayenne and do you recall the name of your service adviser? I would like to contact this same person if possible. Ughh
Old 02-21-2022, 06:22 PM
lelandr
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cozzydog
Lelandr,

I live in Canton, and have recently purchased a 2014 cayenne diesel with 13k miles. The rear main seal appears to be seeping a little bit even with these original low miles. I see you live in Alpharetta. What dealer did you bring your cayenne and do you recall the name of your service adviser? I would like to contact this same person if possible. Ughh
Hi Cozzydog,

I do live in Alpharetta. I took it to Hennessey on Mansell. The service manager told me that oil leaks would be covered. I have been assigned to Dan Bush, but I'm not sure that the service advisor matters that much--he's a nice guy though. They are good, but they are slow, and they don't seem to have loaners now (makes an issue for me as, while I have 3 other cars, they are all manuals and the missus does not drive them), although they will Uber you where ever you need to go.

The car is actually at the dealer now as I have an EGR temp sensor failure and I noticed oil around the passenger side valve cover and turbo air inlet. Those were just quantified to me today as "seeps" and not a problem. When I pick it up, I will try to quantify how much oil constitutes a leak as I only have about 10 months left on our warranty.

I am not an expert in these cars, but I believe that the seep is due to a design issue on the timing cover. If they do this work, they will reseal the whole motor.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:29 PM
cozzydog
5th Gear

Thanks for the reply! I will reach out to Dan as it sounds like he now has some knowledge regarding the issue. How does the warranty work exactly?
My car is not a CPO. Car is a 2014 with 13k miles, serviced at porsche dealers only, and had the emissions work done in March 2018.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:40 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cozzydog
Thanks for the reply! I will reach out to Dan as it sounds like he now has some knowledge regarding the issue. How does the warranty work exactly?
My car is not a CPO. Car is a 2014 with 13k miles, serviced at porsche dealers only, and had the emissions work done in March 2018.
there was a second diesel emissions recall / fix, did you get that done? if not, that might happen
Old 02-21-2022, 08:08 PM
cozzydog
5th Gear

I am not aware of the "second recall".
Was this after 2018 do you know? If it were prior, maybe it was already performed at one time.
Also, anyone know of a site that lists in detail what the emissions recall fixed, replaced, tweaked?
Old 02-21-2022, 10:07 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a 2013 with 60k and it appears that there is an oil leak at the back main seal. Not enough to drip on the garage floor. When I had the diesel fix done the dealer mentioned that the oil drain plug was leaking-wrong. My independent verified twice that it is not the drain plug. I have a suspicion that the electronic oil fill gauge is incorrect and that filling the engine until it is at MAX may be what is causing the leaks in these diesels because there is too much oil. I know that you can purchase a dip stick from VW for the Tourage that will accurately measure the oil level. Mine has been leaking for about 15k miles but not enough to make the oil level go down on the electronic indicator. Good to hear that the Marin Porsche Dealer was able to use the warranty with no hassle. I will talk to my go to dealer in Rockland and get their take. I would assume that if you were to pull the engine to fix an oil leak you would replace all the possible leaking gaskets. 356's were notorious for oil leaks at the valve cover gaskets and oil coolers but fixing them was no big deal- engine out in 20-30 minutes for the oil cooler fix, then remove the generator clamp and fan cover 2 10mm nuts (if I remember) held the oil cooler maybe 3 and 2 rubber drop in seals to seal the cooler. All told maybe 1-2 hours total. Cars were simpler then. Cayenne Diesels- 65+ k to start and oil leaks- common Porsche.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:38 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Woohoo, I get to be part of the Leaky Diesel club! Was towing over the weekend and got a dash warning for "oil level at minimum," so pulled over, bought a quart and added it. That made the dash gauge happy, but didn't show all the way full, either. Looking at records, I made it about 3,800 miles from my last oil change. My local Porsche dealer (Porsche of Arlington) was knowledgable about the diesels and the work required to stop some of the oil leaks, plus the warranty program. I stopped by yesterday while driving another car and they said "could be burning or leaking, bring it in so we can check." Poked my head underneath it this morning and the belly pan is soaked on the driver's side. Taking it over in about an hour so they can see for themselves and figure out next steps. Only have 72k miles and the Dieselgate warranty is good through the end of this year, so hoping it'll all be warrantied.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:03 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Until you get the belly pan off, you won't really know where it's coming from...and be warned, that belly pan can hold a lot of diesel oil. Don't ask how I know.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:57 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Originally Posted by lml999
Until you get the belly pan off, you won't really know where it's coming from...and be warned, that belly pan can hold a lot of diesel oil. Don't ask how I know.
Well, it's in the dealer's hands now. They won't get to it for a few days but the service advisor was like "ohhh yeah not a seep" when I showed her that photo. Much as I don't want to be without the car, I'll almost be happier if it's some big, easily-identified issue that they can get covered and fix.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:24 AM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Update! Heard from the service department and they confirmed that this is gonna be The Big Engine Out Repair that everyone talks about with these TDIs. My service advisor said a service bulletin is what technically applies and is going to send it over to me, but rattled off a whole bunch of gaskets that they're ordering to replace. Valve covers, turbo oil seal, and a few others. I suspect while the engine is out on the table they'll be doing anything that's there.

She also confirmed the entire thing is covered by the Dieselgate extended warranty, which is fantastic. I'm heading to the racetrack next week and they have no Cayennes with hitches in their loaner fleet, so she's going to get me something appropriate from Enterprise instead. TBD on timeline of repair, they have all the parts on order but she warned me it could be a few weeks if not longer.
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 01:11 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Good news for you!

Does anyone know how long the diesel gate warranty is good for. I think some people have said 10 years or a certain amount of miles. Some have said 3 years.
Thanks,
Old 03-08-2022, 11:01 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

@reneeweiss There's a sticky at the top of this forum with all the information you're looking for.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-coverage.html

No need to rehash it here.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:24 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Has anyone that has used a dipstick to check the oil in a Cayenne diesel (2013) noticed if the electronic oil level sensor/indicator indicates the same level as the actual dipstick?

I suspect the electronic sensor may be inaccurate and if you fill the oil all the way to the top mark of the sensor there may be too much oil which would cause all these leaks. When I questioned the dealer after an oil change because the sensor indicated one line below full they claimed that was normal which makes no sense unless the sensor is incorrect and one mark down is full.
The following users liked this post:
wineguy94920 (12-15-2022)

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne Diesel Oil Leak Question