Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Cayenne Diesel Oil Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 12:27 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the notion that the dealer told you that it was normal to burn that much oil was an indication that you had a leaking seal and they should honor that information regardless of how many miles you put on or dates. My dealer told me that the oil drain plug was leaking but I knew it was the rear main seal. I had other leaks that when the time came to fix them they did see the seal was leaking. I made sure that I had the car looked at just prior to the 10 year mark running out. The dealer should cover your repair. I suspect that they don't make as much money on the oil leaks under diesel gate and it is a big job because they have to pull the whole front of the car then the parts to get to the seal. My dealer, who is great, told me that they billed POA about 19k for the repairs on my 13 cd and some have been over 25k. Mine might burn 1/2 quart of oil in 5000 or so miles. It is hard to see the oil leak because it, at least on mine, burned off before it could drip. The bottom covers collected it and it dried, that's how I knew there was a main seal leak and when inspecting on oil change you could see that the oil was coming from somewhere above the pan. Dealers should be taking care of their customers and keeping them happy!
The following users liked this post:
HIPPOBOOGIE (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 12:45 PM
HIPPOBOOGIE
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdronsick
Your case would be stronger if you had followed through on the final in-warranty dealer inspection under 120K miles. The dealer’s misinformation didn’t prevent you from making that appointment, it only affected your decision process after the warranty had already expired. IE it could be argued their misinformation should have motivated you to seek remedy sooner, not later. That would be PCNA’s legal argument. That said, they may offer to contribute to the repair, since they were in fact wrong.
Thanks. I was in the middle of moving back to NE from Philly at the time and scheduling issues that came up were outside my control (sharing just for context, not to bolster my argument).

While I don't disagree with your perspective, I do wonder if going to the Indy (vs keeping my original appt at the dealer) is the only reason the issue has come to light. The leak did not develop suddenly over the past couple months; it likely began ~18+ months ago when I started getting the add oil message in between servicings... meaning the car had likely gone in for service at the dealer at least once (but more likely 2-3x) without the leak being identified. So I'm not sure this time would have been any different.

I've attached screen shots evidencing the following:
  • Original in service date
  • emissions modification date
  • Email from Porsche of the Main Line indicating the incorrect warranty information
  • evidence of my service appointment at Porsche Boston prior to the warranty expiry (the one I had to cancel)
  • Evidence that the mileage was still under 120k after the date I was told the warranty would expire.
  • I have documentation to further substantiate all of the above details

Originally Posted by wineguy94920
If you have , in writing, the email or write up that shows they said it was 48 months and not “48 or 120 k Mi or 10 years” then go to service mgr and demand.
document, document, document.
Then go to PCNA.
Porsche of the Main Line was the dealer that provides the incorrect information. I'm now back in Boston. Assume the best course of action would be to start with the service manager at Porsche of Main Line vs going to my local dealer in Boston?

Thanks all! Very much appreciate your p

erspectives!
Old 02-25-2024, 12:57 PM
HIPPOBOOGIE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
I think the notion that the dealer told you that it was normal to burn that much oil was an indication that you had a leaking seal and they should honor that information regardless of how many miles you put on or dates. My dealer told me that the oil drain plug was leaking but I knew it was the rear main seal. I had other leaks that when the time came to fix them they did see the seal was leaking. I made sure that I had the car looked at just prior to the 10 year mark running out. The dealer should cover your repair. I suspect that they don't make as much money on the oil leaks under diesel gate and it is a big job because they have to pull the whole front of the car then the parts to get to the seal. My dealer, who is great, told me that they billed POA about 19k for the repairs on my 13 cd and some have been over 25k. Mine might burn 1/2 quart of oil in 5000 or so miles. It is hard to see the oil leak because it, at least on mine, burned off before it could drip. The bottom covers collected it and it dried, that's how I knew there was a main seal leak and when inspecting on oil change you could see that the oil was coming from somewhere above the pan. Dealers should be taking care of their customers and keeping them happy!
super helpful info - thank you!! I would also expect that when they saw the oil light on the past several times I brought it in for service /oil changes (in addition to information I shared in conversation), they would see that as anomalous to prior service history and take more than a surface level look at the problem.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:00 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 589 Posts

@HIPPOBOOGIE Reading those emails I don’t see where they made any mistake. They simply informed you of both warranties; simply copied from Porsche’s website. That approach is ambiguous, but not erroneous. Both warranties were in effect until 2023 (or by 48K miles) and then only the one until 2025 (or by 120K miles). Logically the longer warranty governs given the language “concurrently” in the settlement. Just my 2-cents

Additionally the dealer is under no legal obligation to discover oil leaks for customers. And as a practical matter while cars are still under warranty they’re highly motivated not to; for obvious reasons. And that is neither deceptive, nor illegal; just unfortunate given the cost of these cars and the fact Porsche is the most profitable automaker in history

That said I agree Porsche “should” fix their mistake

Last edited by bdronsick; 02-25-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:28 PM
HIPPOBOOGIE
Rennlist Member

When I asked Porsche to confirm the coverage period and terms of the remaining warranty, they should have provided relevant details specific to the 10yr/120k miles warranty. Under the terms of the 10yr/120k warranty, the effective date for the coverage period would be the vehicle’s original in-service date (which for my CD was May 2015), and the coverage period would terminate 10 years from the original in service date or when the vehicle exceeded 120k miles, whichever occurs first.

10 years from the original in service date would bring the coverage period end date to May 2025. The end date communicated to me by Porsche Main Line was October 2023 which is incorrect.

Had the correct termination date been communicated I would not be in the situation Ive currently found myself in. Im not saying I did everything perfectly.

Regarding the oil leak. I had multiple discussions with them about the oil level dropping in between servicing, and asked them to determine whether a problem existed. Even absent my direct questions/requests, they should have inspected for a leak simply based on the oil levels dropping when in the past they hadn't and to determine why the oil light was on. I paid them to do a full inspection of the vehicle for any noted or observable mechanical issues...thats the contract we mutually agreed to. So under these circumstances, yes, they absolutely are obligated to look for issues as thats precisely what I'm paying them to do. That's the transaction.

Last edited by HIPPOBOOGIE; 02-25-2024 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:57 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

If I remember correctly my dealer disregarded the rear main seal leak that I told them about when my car went in for the diesel gate modification. I wasn't concerned because I knew other leaks would be apparent while still under the warranty. When I brought it in maybe a year later, still under warranty, they did fix oil leaks and found that yes, the rear main seal had to be replaced as well. The dealer I use is probably the best around in my opinion and I am well satisfied with them. Hope you get satisfaction from your dealer.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:12 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi All,

Chiming in on my oil leak issue with my dealer:
- Last oil change I noticed a decent seepage on the drivers side valve cover + oil on the area of the rear main seal
- Immediately schedule a service appointment with a new location a dealer opened in downtown Chicago (extremely convenient for me vs driving to y normal dealer in the north suburbs)

Dealer Diagnosis: "oil leaks at the bank 2 valve cover and intake pipe for the inlet turbo ($3040+tax). Both of which are not covered by the diesel warranty unfortunately"
(interestingly, no mention of RMS, which I'm almost positive is leaking)

Upon review of the warranty paperwork Porsche sent out, it expressly states:
"The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators"
"the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train"

Given this language, and the dozens of posts here that have had oil leaks covered and complete re-seals done under warranty, I plan to push back hard.

Any advice on how to best go about that? If all else fails, who do I call at PCNA?
Old 03-05-2024, 09:24 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

I would have the dealer review the warranty info. If it is a new dealer they may not be up to date on what is covered under the warranty. If that doesn't work then contact POA. There are still a couple years left on the diesel gate warranty for some cars, those 2016 models if they haven't exceeded the mileage cut off. The dealers get paid by POA for the repairs under warranty so there should be no question. It is a big job if you have to replace the main rear seal, pulling the whole front assembly. I don't know if you can replace the valve cover gaskets without pulling the motor.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:00 PM
jschue22
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Been following this thread in detail. Does anyone know the probability rate of these leaks? Is it just a matter of when and not if? I acquired my CD out of warranty (2013 w/ 30k miles) so unfortunately if I ever experience this it will be out of pocket.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:03 PM
wineguy94920
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Go both barrels ballistic. Then to PC NA

All of that is 100% covered under the extended warranty.
Hard Stop.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:34 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

PCNA won't do anything, as they allow the dealership to make the call on these sort of things. You're best bet is to print-out some of the better posts in this thread that have the invoices and then try different dealerships.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:42 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

The warranty was for 10 years I believe for a 2013. Mine started leaking at about 50k but was only noticed upon oil changes when I could see oil near the drain plug or above I believe. I thought it was the rear main seal. On one service, maybe the diesel gate fix, at the dealer they said the oil drain was leaking which I knew was not the case. Not a whole lot was leaking and the oil dried on the plastic under engine cover so there were no puddles on the ground and not enough was leaking between 5k oil changes to have to add oil. I could smell burning oil though. When the dealer decided to fix the oil leaks there were 4 pages of parts included and the rear main seal was one of them. I have only gone a little over 500 miles since the repair and I assume all is okay. The repair, covered by the diesel gate warranty was a bit over $19k according to the dealer. I think they needed to get POA approval before they even started. The dealer I go to is excellent. They had my car for about 2 months because they had a back up of other service repairs which was fine with me and they also loaned me a new Cayenne with 600 miles or so. Can't say I liked the new Cayenne because of all the tech stuff to work the radio etc. If you reported the oil leaks before the 10 year mark you may be able to get it covered, it is worth talking to your dealer and hopefully they will figure out how to help you. A low mileage CD is probably going to appreciate since they are great cars. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:53 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Hi All,

Chiming in on my oil leak issue with my dealer:
- Last oil change I noticed a decent seepage on the drivers side valve cover + oil on the area of the rear main seal
- Immediately schedule a service appointment with a new location a dealer opened in downtown Chicago (extremely convenient for me vs driving to y normal dealer in the north suburbs)

Dealer Diagnosis: "oil leaks at the bank 2 valve cover and intake pipe for the inlet turbo ($3040+tax). Both of which are not covered by the diesel warranty unfortunately"
(interestingly, no mention of RMS, which I'm almost positive is leaking)

Upon review of the warranty paperwork Porsche sent out, it expressly states:
"The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators"
"the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train"

Given this language, and the dozens of posts here that have had oil leaks covered and complete re-seals done under warranty, I plan to push back hard.

Any advice on how to best go about that? If all else fails, who do I call at PCNA?
Unfortunately the dealer is doubling down, telling me this isn't covered. What a load of crap. I'm continuing to escalate, but this extremely frustrating. They don't even provide exact answers or responses, they just keep saying "its not covered", even when I read them the exact parts list from the warranty document.

PCNA was unhelpful as well, they said they have to abide by whet the dealerships tell them, not vice versa, so sounds like the determination is coming from the dealer.

I continue to battle, but not sure where this goes next. Any opinions?
Old 03-07-2024, 02:15 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

I don't know who is supposed to enforce the settlement but that would be an avenue to explore and you might let them know that, of course they may have more information regarding any enforcement. Depending on what state you are in you could go to the motor vehicle dept. or the environmental authority, since it is leaking oil it probably is an environmental hazard. Of course you could threaten legal action but that would cost you money. The other thing you could do is put a bad review on Yelp often that gets the dealers attention and they want to be positive in the eyes of the public. Hard to know why they are unwilling to enforce the warranty that was part of the settlement and seems to certainly cover your leaks. You could also see what an indy would charge for the repair but it might be worth the satisfaction to get the dealer to cover the costs. I would send letters and if you get no satisfaction at POA go higher up the food chain in writing.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:15 PM
supertreeman
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Whats the year and mileage? Maybe warranty has expired? That stuff is clearly covered under the diselgate warranty as long as its with in the year and mileage limits.

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne Diesel Oil Leak Question