Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2015-16 Cayenne Diesel Purchase: clarification of 4/6/8/10 yr warranty coverage

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Mawgie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015-16 Cayenne Diesel Purchase: clarification of 4/6/8/10 yr warranty coverage

Folks,

I am searching for a 2015 or 2016 Cayenne Diesel. Warranty coverage is very important to me. I have read the threads here on RL, spoken at length with multiple dealers, and called PCNA. This thread is an attempt to clarify the exact warranties that may be available for the 2015 and 2016 model year Cayenne Diesels. (My local dealer did not have the correct information.) My understanding of the warranty "landscape" specifically for model year 2015 and 2016 Cayenne Diesels is as follows. Please correct me if/where I am wrong. :

1) New Vehicle Warranty: Every Cayenne Diesel has a 4 year/50,000 mile new car transferable warranty from Porsche;
2) 2 year Warranty extension: As a goodwill gesture in response to Dieselgate, Porsche extended the factory 4 year/4000 mile warranty to 6 year/unlimited mileage transferable warranty for all 2015 and 2016 Cayenne Diesels.
3) 10 year Extended Emissions Warranty: Due to Dieselgate, the Cayenne Diesel also has a ten year extended emissions system transferable warranty, measured from the car's in service date.
4) 2 year CPO Porsche warranty: A Porsche dealer may choose to CPO certify a specific Cayenne Diesel, if it meets CPO criteria. The Porsche CPO warranty is 2 years/unlimited miles, for vehicles sold as CPO after 12/1/17.

Nationwide Porsche dealership inventory is listed on Porscheusa.com . A search for 2015 to 2016 Cayenne shows lots of Diesels on the market. Most are advertised as having the remainder of the 6yr/unlimited mileage warranty described in #2 above. Also, most of these are described as "Porsche Certified Pre Owned", which is, I think, is technically incorrect.

Several dealers explicitly advertise 8 year/unlimited mileage warranties, and also describe the cars as "Porsche Certified Pre Owned." Here is an 8 year warranty car, a 2015 CD at Porsche Greenwich (CT), a 2015 CD:

https://porscheofgreenwich.com/inven...tallic+1635221

My guess is that Porsche Greenwich simply ran this particular car through the CPO process (multi-point inspection, service, fluids, tires, brakes, accident history, clean vehicle, etc) , added the 2 yr/unlimited mileage warranty described in #4 above, and priced it accordingly. So, this car will, in fact have 8yr/unlimited miles comprehensive, no deductible transferable warranty coverage. In contract, a 6yr/unlimited miles car "just" has the warranty extension provided by Porsche.

QUERY #1: In other threads it seemed like some dealers were stating that CPO coverage was "overlaid" on top of the 6yr/unlimited warranty given to ALL 2015 and 2016 Cayenne Diesels by Porsche. This doesn't sound right. A 2015 or 2016 Cayenne Diesel should have either a 6 yr/unlimited mileage factory warranty, or if CPO'd by the selling dealer, an 8yr/unlimited mileage warranty (if sold after 12/1/17). ??

QUERY #2: For the Porsche 6yr/unlimited mileage warranty extension or the CPO waranty to transfer, the subsequent buyer must purchase the car from a Porsche dealer or a private party, not an independent dealer or a dealer for another brand. Correct?

I would appreciate if I could confirmation/correction on all of this. Hopefully, this thread will be of use to new CD shoppers looking to maximize warranty coverage. Thanks in advance for any input.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mawgie:
ipetalas (02-25-2021), Johnnywood (04-13-2021)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:07 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

On the letter that I received from Porsche giving me the two year extension of the new car warranty, there is nothing that says it is only for me. Unlike the CPO requirements, I believe the two years extension of the new warranty goes with the CD, no matter if the next buyer buys it from me, a Porsche dealer, or an independent dealer.

If what is remaining is the remaining CPO warranty that a dealer added (that is, year 7 or 8), then the CPO warranty requirements apply, that is, it is no longer valid if sold by an independent dealer.

I keep repeating this: The extension of the new car warranty is not the same as CPO. It is still a new car warranty that covers cosmetic issues, such as rattles. The CPO warranty does not cover rattles.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Trueblue
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently purchased a 2016 CD. While the salesman explained the warranty as you have described, upon delivery there was no documentation that confirmed the warranty other than the original warranty book and a supplement that only discusses the extension of the emissions warranty ( the latter was dated 2017).

I requested documentation of the 6yr. unlimited milage warranty. All the dealership could provide was a confusing summary of the warranty apparently produced by PCNA for use by service departments. It contained a footnote: “due to system constraint, the Cayenne Diesel Extended Warranty is displayed as “Pre-owned Warranty” in the PIWIS system, however this warranty mirrors the coverage of the New Vehicle Warranty.”

i would be interested in learning if others that took delivery of new CDs have received more complete documentation of their extended warranty.

Hope this helps

P.S.: The vehicle far exceeds my expectations.

The following 2 users liked this post by Trueblue:
jcgoodlett2 (11-29-2022), Johnnywood (04-13-2021)
Old 06-22-2018, 04:29 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I was shopping for a 15/16 CD, a salesman provided a copy of a memo that the dealership had received regarding the CD warranty. I'm still not sure what it means, because the memo does not clarify situations in which CPO is included in the purchase. Any lawyers out there????
Old 06-22-2018, 07:33 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

^^^ Easy: Key word is "unpunched." Meaning it hasn't had a warranty issued. So, basically what Porsche is saying is that "unpunched" CD get the 10 year/120000 miles, starting when a customer took delivery (totally new) or when it started being put in service as a demonstrator, service loaner or company car.

"Punched vehicles" are those that the warranty was already in effect when the stop order set in. For example, a used registered CD sitting in the dealer's used car lot. Those only get the 4 years extended warranty, beginning with the recall date.

So, the OP's original post has to distinguish between "punched" and "unpunched" 2015-16 cars. My comment following the OP's query is totally wrong for 2015-16 CD. These CDs do not follow the standard Porsche warranty timelines. So, I don't think CPO is even something that needs to be discussed.

Any potential buyer looking at a 2015-16 CD needs to ask the dealer whether the warranty is "punched" or "unpunched."
The following users liked this post:
Johnnywood (04-19-2021)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:29 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Any potential buyer looking at a 2015-16 CD needs to ask the dealer whether the warranty is "punched" or "unpunched."
Yes, that’s a key point. My salesman was talking about this recently. When comparing deals on CDs from various dealers, one needs to keep this key point in mind to ensure you’re comparing apples to apples.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 PM
Mawgie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The document posted by pvgolfer is strictly limited to the extended emissions warranty. The last CD I looked at was a 2015 at a Porsche dealer. I asked the salesperson to print out the warranty coverage, and he did with no trouble at all. The Porsche Service Vehicle Information printout for this specific CD showed a total of 3 emissions warranties, including the holy grail 10/120,000. Every single warranty related back to the car's in service date.

My primary concern, and I would think that of others, is not the emissions warranty (which is nice, of course), but maximizing the remaining bumper to bumper warranty. For the 2015 and 2016 model year cars I am interested in, I see no need to be specifically focused on whether a car has been "punched" or is "unpunched". What matters most are the specific warranty terms incorporated into the purchase and sales contract, and the warranties that apply by operation of law.

My initial inquiries on cars focus on obtaining the following: 1) the in service date, the later the better; 2) what the Porsche Service Vehicle Information states; and 3) if serious, confirm all warranty terms with PCNA in writing, and reference same in the sales contract.

Finally, I picked up some additional CPO information this morning at a dealer. I was told that a dealer can run a specific vehicle through a portion of the CPO process to confirm that it will pass, then offer/market that car as CPO, but not pay the actual CPO fee required by Porsche until the car sells. This allows the dealers to advertise/offer CPO coverage for clean cars that "a la carte", as it were. As such, if someone wanted to buy a late model used CD that was advertised as CPO 8/80, but did not want the CPO coverage, it might be possible to buy the car for a lower price with just the 6yr/unlimited mileage warranty and not pay the upcharge for the CPO coverage.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Trueblue
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My understanding the Porsche Vehicle Service Information is not activated until the car is “punched.” In my case the CD I purchased was not previously punched. Consequently, the dealer could not provide warranty details specific to my car at the time of purchase. However, they provided a PVSI for a 2016 CD they had sold a few months before for reference.
I am having my CD serviced next week at the selling dealer. I expect now that the Car has been punched there will be a PVSI with warranty summary. I’ll post what I find.

There can’t be many 2015/16 CDs left that have not been punched.When I did a nationwide search back in early May I found less than 50. Mostly California and Texas. Many that are left have option combinations that seemed unusual to me. For example mine was a premium plus car but lacked Bose and Sirius/XM. I have already had a VAIS Sirius interface installed that works seamlessly with PCM.($500). I can probably upgrade sound beyond Bose for less than the infotainment option. My CD did not come with the tow option. This is a $650 MSRP option if on the car and $2400 option if Porsche installs post delivery. I factored that cost into my purchase price.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:10 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

When I looked at one 2015 CD, it did not have a CPO warranty. The salesman told me that the diesel did not need it, because the diesel settlement warranty was the same thing. I asked him if the extra two years was bumper to bumper as in like the CPO, and he said yes. I told him I was looking at another CD that did have CPO, so why would that dealer spend substantial $ if the vehicle did not need it. He told me that it was "good marketing but expensive and not necessary." I decided to go with CPO. I never felt comfortable with the answer.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:54 AM
Nackem
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently going through one of these scenarios exactly, on a 15 CD. Vehicle was being offered as a CPO, however the dealer was stating warranty coverage ends in 2021 (6 year total). This was not my expectation of a CPO'd vehicle and so I called PCNA and they confirmed the warranty end date of 2021 which was due to the 2 year good will extension Porsche issued. The comment made on the phone was that this extension was considered a "CPO" and I believe is why some dealers are advertising their vehicles as CPO but the coverage is only 6 years when, in my case, I assumed this was an additional 2 years bringing it up to a total of 8 years. Every dealer I have spoken too in my 2+ month search seems to have a different understanding and so I am sure that isn't helping the situation.

Ultimately, myself and the dealer worked out this little kink and they are honoring the additional 2-year CPO warranty bringing it to an 8 year total, ending in 2023. Schwwwing. Picking up the car Saturday!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Nackem:
545moose (02-10-2022), jung996fraulein (08-27-2022)
Old 06-26-2018, 01:14 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

^^^^
I think you describe the situation well... some/many dealers are taking the PCNA 2 year extension and “marketing” it as a dealer-provided CPO 2-year warranty. However, if the dealer does perform the 101-point Certified inspection, service the car up to CPO standards, and provide CPO paperwork, then it seems that the car should get BOTH the PCNA 2 year goodwill extension and the 2 year CPO warranty for a total of 8 years (from in-service date).

Nackem performed his due diligence and ensured the dealer/PCNA were on-board with the full 8-year warranty... Well done!

Now this begs the question, what does the PCNA computer system show as warranty coverage for his car? Does it show the good will extension running until 2019 and the CPO warranty running from 2021-2023?
Old 06-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Nackem
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed on the dealers marketing. If you are in the market for a CD, question, question, question and then call PCNA to understand what coverage your prospective vehicle actually shows.

I have another call in to PCNA explaining my situation and the fact that the dealer said they will honor the "additional" CPO 2 year, and asked that they confirm that is even possible. That was yesterday and they said I should be contacted within 24-48 hours. 24 hours down, 24 to go. I will update once I hear back.

Back to the dealer side; I expressed my frustration with them advertising a CPO with it not actually being anything THEY had done but rather a Porsche mandated extension. They ended up stating that they will honor the CPO advertisement of +2 on top of the 6. On the purchase agreement I signed yesterday, they wrote in "Porsche certified +4 years unlimited miles warranty" (since the original 4-year hasn't ended yet). I am going to move forward with the expectation/understanding that now that it is in writing (including an email specifically stating "8 years"), it should be honored but it has NOT been updated in the PCNA system as of yet. The PCNA system shows original mfg warranty running to 2019 and then goodwill "CPO" until 2021.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:00 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Good move on your part to get it in writing on the purchase agreement. My dealer claimed not to know anything about the 2 year extension, but gave me all the CPO documents. They also provided a printout of the CPO warranty start/end dates from the PCNA system. I've heard that PCNA has been slow to update the computer system to show the 2-year goodwill extension. I'm hoping that when they do that, it will be tacked on to my CPO warranty for a total of 8 years.

I didn't want to hold up the deal by pushing my dealer into guaranteeing (in writing) an 8-year warranty. I felt that I was getting a good deal on the vehicle ($85k MSRP, bought it for $50k) and didn't want it to slip through my hands. As the situation gets settled, I'll have the memo (posted above) and my CPO paperwork which (hopefully) can be leveraged to get the 8 years, if PCNA does not automatically update my vehicle in their system.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I just went through this as well. I was interested in vehicle that was being advertised as CPO but, only had 6 years of coverage. The dealership answer sounded like BS so, I too called Porsche NA and received basically the same answers as above.
*All diesels have a 6 year warranty that does show up as a version of CPO in the dealership systems but, there is apparently something other than the end of coverage that should tell the dealers this is the Porsche NA provided warranty.
*A true CPO vehicle will have 8 years from the original in service date.

Dealerships advertising the 6 year coverage as CPO makes it hard to accurately determine if a vehicle is reasonably priced or not without contacting either the dealer or Porsche directly which is time consuming and frustrating.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:23 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

^^^ Any salesperson who says a Porsche is CPO (no matter which model) should be able to show you the CPO checklist that its technician certified to Porsche

Quick Reply: 2015-16 Cayenne Diesel Purchase: clarification of 4/6/8/10 yr warranty coverage