Sponsored By:

Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 03:54 AM
rainer
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Cool

Point taken, I've removed any airbag discussion from my post as it has not much to do w/ the issue we chase. Suggestion to everyone is to play it safe and professionally.

(Glad I'm still alive after 38 years serving as firefighter and also glad I've only seen airbags safe lives so far. But that's a different story.. so back to topic.. )

R.

Originally Posted by siberian
I stand by my post. Do NOT work on airbags with power on. EVERY service manual as well as 50 years or working on cars, as well as numerous firefighters who have died as a result on airbags going off as they leaned into a car to evacuate someone points to caution when working on airbags. Disconnect the battery and wait at least 15 minutes for capacitors to discharge.

siberian

Last edited by rainer; 10-16-2020 at 06:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
siberian (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:16 AM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Thank you very much Rainer. That is reassuring. I am going to look into that ecu, I have already been looking into it thinking it must be that as well. I am going to confirm which one and order it, hopefully that will be the golden ticket here.
Thank you!!
rainer (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:57 AM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I ended up ordering the same part # as Rainer, 95B959256E.
Should be here late next week or the following Monday. Hopefully that will do the trick!
rainer (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 03:12 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,327 Likes on 1,383 Posts

Sweet. Once you get the part and it works, maybe summarizing the entire process for folks would be very helpful so we don't get 3 months from now 4 people asking how to retrofit a heated steering wheel.

Thank you all who contributed to the saga

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 10-16-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:21 PM
rainer
Instructor

Good point. For the Macan I have it all, including parts list. Might be mostly the same as for Cayenne.

I also have documented the parts required and wiring ( PCM 3.1 and 4) for an OEM backup cam retrofit (Macan, though). Some more work, but no activation code required.

cheapest upgrade in my case was to enable PDLS+ ( from PDLS), which enables auto high beam and intersection light. Not sure however this translates to a Cayenne as it depends on hardware config (e.g. Front Cam etc).

Last edited by rainer; 10-16-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:27 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

May I suggest a separate thread dealing with just heated steering wheels (whether Macan/Cayenne...) since we're near 700 posts on this thread and this is buried deep for someone who just wants this?

Great stuff Herr Rainer!

siberian
rainer (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 04:30 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I had actually started a thread a while ago on it and jumped into this thread for guidance. I will edit my thread there to have exact steps needed for the 958.2, which is likely the same as Macan, but I think there are a few minor differences for pcm3.1 and pcm4.0. I wish I had pcm4.0, I do miss that and carplay from my 17 Macan.
I might try the pcm4.0 retrofit one day, I have seen a 911 thread where someone got it worked out.

After the heated wheel is done, I am going to make a thread on timing cover reseal. I have already started gettting parts. I’m at 83k miles, out of warranty and going to tackle it myself. Have already done maintenance stuff, but going to do some early replacements of pcv valves, serp belt and tensioner, and the timing chain and guides/tensioner. Doing the timing cover you are already there and need to re-time the engine after anyways, so why not spend the extra hour and replace the chain and guides while there. I’m not so much worried about the chain as the stupid plastic guides. Ordering everything from FCP other than bolts and tools they don’t have.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:44 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Great! Look forward to them as I'm sure the heated steering is something that will be a popular look-up as trying to read over 600 posts;most of which don't deal with this but Launch coding etc., will be very appreciated. Similarly for the rest like timing chain cover leak etc.

As to PCM, to the best of my knowledge you can't upgrade a 3.x version to a 4.x alas

siberian
Old 10-16-2020, 06:17 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

If there’s a will there’s a way, you know that!! Some hacks of the pcm4.0 boards and software to get past the vin securities and some repinning, plus possible upgrading of the Bose amp. It’s a lot.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:23 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sort of like retrofitting blind spot monitoring to the wife's 08 V6 FSI Touareg. At some point the expense and work is just pointless and I just bought her a 2020 Macan S. But to the point what does 4.0 give you over 3.x? Album covers on iphones and...? Now if I could swap a 7 speed DSG into the V8 Touareg instead of the Tiptronic... THAT would be worth it! Alas the weight would kill it.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 10-16-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:33 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

For me the pcm4.0 is the looks of it factory carplay. But you are right too, might not be worth it. The pcm4.0 is much more VW than Porsche. It’s a VW MIB2 unit with some additional porsche software and then a cable from it to the screen. A guy on here has a big thread of doing it in his carrera.
For me it’s going to just be more of ticketing and having something to do. I like doing this kind of stuff and trying what I’m told can’t be done. This cayenne is paid off, so I don’t mind trying. New things. I wanted a 2017-18 GTS mainly for the radio as stupid as it sounds, but I found this at auction and got it for a steal compared to what I was paying for the Macan or any other GTS’s. I had bid up to 55k on a 2017 a week before I found this one and won at $20k less. Can’t complain! Yes it has high miles, but I don’t care. Dealer maintained one owner clean carfax. I plan to have this one a long time and don’t drive much.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:58 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As I hope to pull the trigger on my 992C4S shortly, I really couldn't give a hoot as to what stereo system it has. To me a 992 is the infotainment, but if you find a way for me to swap my Tiptronic for a DSG, I'm all ears!

So I hear you concerning challenges.

siberian
Old 10-17-2020, 02:00 AM
rainer
Instructor

I just went from a PCM3.1 in my 958.1 to a PCM4 in my Macan. Happy that Porsche equipped all 2016-built Macans already with 2017 VIN and PCM4. First model to get PCM4.

Main point is indeed CarPlay, and coming with it Real Time Traffic and radar infos in various apps. Plus the more modern GUI.

you have probably seen the CarPlay/Android Auto retrofit box option which is around, so at least there‘s some way to enhance the PCM3.1. Main flaw with this way seems
a) analogue audio connection to Aux
b) no way to operate the stock radio with Carplay at the same time
Old 10-17-2020, 03:50 AM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rainer
Good point. For the Macan I have it all, including parts list. Might be mostly the same as for Cayenne.

I also have documented the parts required and wiring ( PCM 3.1 and 4) for an OEM backup cam retrofit (Macan, though). Some more work, but no activation code required.

cheapest upgrade in my case was to enable PDLS+ ( from PDLS), which enables auto high beam and intersection light. Not sure however this translates to a Cayenne as it depends on hardware config (e.g. Front Cam etc).
Can you tell me how to do this? I already have all the hw (PDLS and Front Camera)

Old 10-17-2020, 04:10 AM
rainer
Instructor

Sure. Not sure how the 1:1 translation works. I used Piwis in Developer Mode, so not sure what other tools show as menu items:

1. Code Option 8G2 (instead of option 8EF or 8JE (PDLS)) . That will give you auto high beam...
a) I did that under Lighting/Light Assistant (Dynamic High Beam), plus
b) I changed the Vehicle Order and added 8G2
2. Code Option 8WH as active (that will enable Intersection Lighting)

You have to look for these options in 3 ECUs:
a) Front camera
b) Front Light
c) BCM Front

Both options working - you have PDLS+ ... I enjoy especially the auto high beam on longer trips as it does not just switch on/off but does indeed work in steps. I did not expect it to work that smart with Xenons, but it does indeed.

Updating the VO:
I'm not totally sure if adding options to Vehicle Order is mandatory (I believe not as a first step), but I just wanted to make sure it's consistent and avoid issues in case of any future SW updates or ECU changes.
Also, if you would do future automatic coding of an ECU, Piwis checks the VO and codes accordingly. Very convenient...
With Bimmers that's a critical topic (they won't let you flash updates if there's inconsitencies)

Originally Posted by don16
Can you tell me how to do this? I already have all the hw (PDLS and Front Camera)

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion