Sponsored By:

Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 03:23 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rainer
I doubt someone will sell the decoder as it‘s a cash machine..

I know that at least code-porsche site worked in 2 cases reliably. Also for someone who was given a wrong code and lost money, trying another source.

I have all codes for my own car as well.

Little strange - it creates codes for a PCM 3.1, even for PCM4 cars. I haben‘t figured out if they are of any use - the enabling of functions in a PCM4 works different than in PCM3.x versions... and not just by entering a 16-digit hex code
I’m curious, what happened with the wrong code? Did it simply reject the code and not activate the option or did it lock the module or anything?
Did you use code-porsche for your car? If so, do you have a direct email for them? Or would you share who you did use if it wasn’t code-porsche?

Old 10-14-2020, 04:58 PM
dan of montana
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone ever coded out the rear window shades? The shades are integrated into the window switch - with the window up, an additional pull up will raise the shade. It is part of the premium plus package (or a rare standalone).

After replacing the plastic gears in the motor, I would really prefer the car behaved as if the shades didn't exist. I'm sure the new plastic gears will last another 8 years, but I'd rather not have to do that project again.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:26 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I did see the rear shades as being active when I was trying to fix my multi function steering wheel. I bet you could code them to inactive if you wanted.
The following users liked this post:
dan of montana (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 05:27 PM
dan of montana
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by volcanogts
I did see the rear shades as being active when I was trying to fix my multi function steering wheel. I bet you could code them to inactive if you wanted.
Very helpful, thank you @volcanogts . Didn't want spend the money on the coding tool to address my #1 coding need.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:11 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,365 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Digressing for a wee moment here.

With the Launch, we get two years of free software updates covering vehicles/interfaces etc. After that the price is $399/year. Personally, and unless something earthshaking is included after the two year period (which of course is bound to happen,) it's unlikely I'll pay the yearly update. Where I'm going with this is the following. I've set a reminder every 5 weeks (as well as every time I use the unit) to check and download any updates. Do I download all? No, I've no need for Citroen's or Renaults etc. which will eat up storage (but I do religiously update Ferrari - you just never know, a lottery ticket may come in...). so just make sure that when your 2 year free updates expires you've got the latest and greatest for the vehicles you're most concerned with.

I've used a VAG-COM for over 12 years and is great for VDub/Audi/Lambo, but the Launch covers just about every vehicle (no, not the Mars Rover) and above all it's WiFi so I don't need to tether a cable to the OBD port. No, I don't work nor am I remunerated by Launch.

We now take you back to your normally scheduled programs

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 10-14-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:19 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by volcanogts
I contacted 3 so far. One I have heard back from and waiting on another response, one seemed very sketchy and wanted $300, and waiting on a reaponse from the third. Seems like the going rate is $100-$125 for the codes. One place says they generate all codes for your vin and send them to you. My new stalk has voice control so that might be beneficial and also thinking of changing my clock with broken second hand to a red compass.
I will let everyone know if I hear back and if it works out.
I'm interested in these said codes. There are some things I'd like to change.

As for compass, you don't need codes. Mine came without anything in the center. I used piwis to activate clock after installing it.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:46 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I’m hoping for a response from porsche-codes and another online place. Hoping to have some response soon and will let you all know what happens.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:36 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

siberian
Old 10-15-2020, 02:31 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Well I got the code from Porsche-code, entered it, it says accepted, it says heated wheel installed and active, but still a no go. I made sure the button was connected, it was, I disconnected it and a fault came up saying implausible signal, I cleared the fault after plugging it back in, that confirms the button is connected and it’s connected to the steering wheel module, I know the main power and ground was properly comnected.
I’m at a loss.
Does the car have to go into sleep mode and be locked for a period of time for these functions to take effect? Maybe the Launch just isn’t capable and I need PIWIS?
Old 10-15-2020, 03:09 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Uncharted waters here of course. But let's use some logic where we can.

1) Does the car need to go into sleep mode...? Doesn't make any sense as the item you're enabling is not linked (or shouldn't be linked) to any distance/time value.

2) Is the Launch capable? I would assume (I know there's that word again) that if it comes back with "accepted" that it has encountered a "correct" value. To be really sure, I would enter a different value (say the last hex number different by 1 (decimal) i.e. if the last hex is currently set to 4A, then set it to 4B and see if it accepts it. Since you have the correct value and that value is not going to change, as it's derived from your VIN, I don't see an issue with it (I hereby issue my disclaimers of course). If the value is also accepted, then it looks like Launch will accept any 16 digit hex value and thereby lies the problem. If it is NOT accepted, then reset the value it has now and continue investigating as it seems it does pass on the value and the Function returns (0) - or normal - for the C programmers out there.

3) A last thought, is there another place you need to enable the heated wheel? Go through the entire Steering Wheel menu and look for any other place this may need to be enabled.

4) So if I understand (really last thought for now) you do not get the "Heated Steering Wheel On' on your display right?

That's all I can come up with at the moment. Snowing (finally) so need to change tires on the Treg and Macan. Let us know

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 10-15-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:18 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Keep coming up with thoughts as I head down to the garage.

I would get hold of an IR thermometer and test the steering wheel when you pressed the button. The reason is I remember on my Touareg although the little green icon appeared on the dash it didn't feel like it was on. Since I was in a heated a garage it just didn't feel like anything. It turns out that at least on the VDub (and I would assume; there's that word again) and Porsche it would heat on a curve based on deviation from some "zero"point. So if that point is 16C and your ambient in the car is 18C it's not going to be ful on but heat on a gradient. By using a thermometer you can detect any temp changes. OK will check in later

HTH
siberian

Last edited by siberian; 10-15-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:06 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

No message, no feeling of heat, and just tried a thermometer, held it on it for three minutes no change.
BUT, it is also 70 here today. Was 39 yesterday... Maybe it does not heat at all when it’s above a certain temp? I wish.... My 2017 Macan would turn on and display the message at any outdoor temp.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:15 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Heated wheel is also the same 10 amp fuse 53 on the right dash fuse box as the rear view cam and multi function steering wheel that all work, so the power should be good.
I looked and searched under instrument cluster and there was nothing for heated wheel in there, I have chosen uninstalled and installed for the heated wheel, and no change.
This is a bummer. I am going to look all around in the launch again tonight and then I might have to find someone or a shop with an actual PIWIS unit to try the coding.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:17 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm not sure if I will be of any help, but some of my codings didn't take until I shut the door and locked the car. In fact, I thought some of them had failed until I got in the car and started it and wallah, they worked. I'm sure you guys already know this as you are way more advanced than I am.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:24 PM
rainer
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

1. I would have to look up the exact value, but yes, there is an upper threshold temp where the heating does shut off and does not heat at all. [update]: the upper limit for the steering wheel heating is a steering wheel temperature (not outside temp!) of 40 degrees Celsius, that should be around 100 Fahrenheit. Target temp once heating is 35 degrees Celsius
2. you need to enable heated steering wheel in the dash cluster, else it would not work! Only coding in steering column ECU is not sufficient..
3. I was chasing potential flaws for some weeks in my case - and ended up buying a new steering wheel ECU. Never figured out why as it has the same part number which is why I first did not care to exchange it, but that solved the issue in my case finally. For some mysterical reason my factory ECU did not work.

How did I find out? I analyzed all „actual values“ displayed by the steering ECU - and got an invalid actual temp value for the sensor inside the wheel itself. Not a numerical value at all but some error displayed where a temp should be. I analyzed and measured the heating circuit and sensor in the wheel itself, concluded it to be ok, hence only remaining issue could be the small ECU in the steering wheel. Bought a new one - exchanged it in 2 minutes (just pop airbag out), voilá... it worked ever since.

hope that helps... go and analyze your actual values, see if they are there at all, check if plausible if yes..

good luck!

PS: Piwis at least allows to browse actual values including the Heated Steering Activation, so it tells you if enabling worked or not.. very easy. So I could exclude that as a potential error easily in my case..
PPS: there‘s no need for the car to sleep before. Once all is active and coded - it works immediately.

Last edited by rainer; 10-15-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion