Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023 | 09:26 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NN.
I also use at the moment JoyeAuto unit and thinking to switch to Mr12Volt but just because of better sound quality as I don’t have the bugs you mention. Actually I think they are not the bugs of JoyeAuto unit but the result of your settings.

No 2 can be fixed if you disable Bluetooth AUX in PCM and use AUX instead. AUX will be always on when you start the car if you used it last so no need to push SOURCE button any more. Spotify and other applications will play just fine via AUX. Sound quality will be slightly worse comparing to Bluetooth AUX, but as a reward you will be able to listen also to Siri and voice commands in Google Maps or Waze. Just try to use AUX and decide if the sound quality is acceptable for your ears.

For No 3 try to connect you phone to PCM and to JoyeAuto CarPlay simultaneously and for phone calls use PCM connection. The calls made or accepted by the buttons on the steering wheel shall go via PCM connection and factory microphone, so no echo or delays.
1)mr12volt boots as soon as you unlock the car. By the time you put the key to the on position you are ready for music /nav. 2)mr12volt boots natively. When you start the car, the pcm goes right into carplay/android auto. No need to select it. 3)phone calls are seamless. I've never heard of this issue with our system. Please feel free to message or call with any questions.​​​

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

FREE INSTALL KIT AND CAR CHARGER WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 04-08-2023 | 08:12 AM
NN.
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
I'm sorry, this is a carplay issue not anything we have control over.
​​​​
Do you mean in Mr12Volt settings there is no option to choose between LHD or RHD vehicle?
Old 04-09-2023 | 10:56 AM
sdl2112
Intermediate

Hi all, I have a 2013 991.1 with PCM 3.1. Like others I want the best sound quality possible. I’ve updated my tweeters and the SQ is pretty good using wired USB. I narrowed my choices to mr12volt and NM auto. Both have been very responsive to my questions. Nick at NM said they have never had their units returned for SQ with 2500+ units installed. He said the units are generation 3 CarPlay where Mr12volt is generation 2. Not sure really what the difference is but I believe better integration. That said I hear a big enough difference when I use the Aux that I don’t want that. So I’ll likely go with mr12volt. The two things I don’t like about their unit is you have to lock your car to disconnect BT and the start up screen, I can blank that out if I can’t find a base CARRERA screen so no biggie but the locking bugs me. Does it eventually disconnect after some time, like 30 min? They said they can’t fix it in software. Does it need BT connection to operate even if I don’t use it for phone calls. I’m just looking for any last minute details before I go forward and purchase it. Thank.
Old 04-09-2023 | 11:44 AM
NN.
Advanced

Originally Posted by sdl2112
...I can blank that out if I can’t find a base CARRERA screen..

Old 04-09-2023 | 01:56 PM
sdl2112
Intermediate

Thanks NN.!
Old 04-09-2023 | 08:03 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi all, I have a 2013 991.1 with PCM 3.1. Like others I want the best sound quality possible. I’ve updated my tweeters and the SQ is pretty good using wired USB. I narrowed my choices to mr12volt and NM auto. Both have been very responsive to my questions. Nick at NM said they have never had their units returned for SQ with 2500+ units installed. He said the units are generation 3 CarPlay where Mr12volt is generation 2. Not sure really what the difference is but I believe better integration. That said I hear a big enough difference when I use the Aux that I don’t want that. So I’ll likely go with mr12volt. The two things I don’t like about their unit is you have to lock your car to disconnect BT and the start up screen, I can blank that out if I can’t find a base CARRERA screen so no biggie but the locking bugs me. Does it eventually disconnect after some time, like 30 min? They said they can’t fix it in software. Does it need BT connection to operate even if I don’t use it for phone calls. I’m just looking for any last minute details before I go forward and purchase it. Thank.
With mr12volt the phone calls are routed through the pcm, so that's your factory mics. Supplied mic is only to speak to siri/Google.

The third vs second gen comment from nick seems a bit pointless. Companies put out revisions of products as needed. Mr12volt has offered several software and hardware updates over time without having to call their product a different version. FYI, mr12volt has had fiber optic since "revision 1". If I told you Mr12volt has a "gen 3" unit now available would it make a difference?

If your local you welcome to come and listen to the audio on my personal 2015 Cayenne. I think it's the best available on the market.

While I got caught off guard by the system not turning off until locked initially, within a few days I just simply locked my car. This "problem" is overblown. Remember that as soon as you unlock, the system boots so by the time you start your car you have carplay LOADED AND PLAYING MUSIC. THAT to me was a killer feature.
​​​​

Last edited by Roman ACS; 04-10-2023 at 07:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sdl2112 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023 | 03:27 AM
NN.
Advanced

Roman, is there in Mr12Volt settings an option to choose between LHD or RHD vehicle?
Old 04-10-2023 | 07:27 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NN.
Roman, is there in Mr12Volt settings an option to choose between LHD or RHD vehicle?
yes you can find that in the P2000>Setting>Factory Mode
Old 04-10-2023 | 06:59 PM
bokh
Rennlist Member

About to order Mr12Volt or NM auto.
which one should I get?
- Mr12Volt: better audio, car need to be locked to shut it down but connects faster, needs external mic for Siri, there’s an extra box.
- NM auto: worse audio, no extra box, seems to be a bit more complicated to install

am I missing another point?
thanks
Old 04-12-2023 | 11:57 AM
gpomp
5th Gear

Does the Mr12Volt eventually shut down after the car turns off, say after 10-20 minutes or does it stay on indefinitely until the doors are locked?
Old 04-12-2023 | 02:33 PM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by bokh
About to order Mr12Volt or NM auto.
which one should I get?
- Mr12Volt: better audio, car need to be locked to shut it down but connects faster, needs external mic for Siri, there’s an extra box.
- NM auto: worse audio, no extra box, seems to be a bit more complicated to install

am I missing another point?
thanks
All these modules will stay on (including Isudar, Joye - all other are rebranded versions of the same - and Mr12Volt). It is a function of the PCM staying in ready mode. Initially, there were significant issues with Isudar staying connected up to 30 minutes after shutting car off. That since then had been reduced to about 30 seconds to a minute. I was part of a contingent of folks here that brought this issue, among others, to Isudar for resolution.

Mr12Volt remains connected for a number of minutes (I need to test this), but I don’t believe is long… probably a few minutes. It will disconnect immediately upon locking car.

Originally Posted by gpomp
Does the Mr12Volt eventually shut down after the car turns off, say after 10-20 minutes or does it stay on indefinitely until the doors are locked?
I does disconnect. I’ll let you know tonight how long it takes if you don’t lock.

Last edited by Santirx; 04-12-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2023 | 07:49 PM
Santirx
Racer

After performing test, Mr12Volt does disconnect automatically after 10 minutes without locking the car.

However, the WiFi range is not as wide as with Isudar (for example). To make this test, I had to stay relatively close to the car. If I got farther away, it would disconnect. This is why I haven’t had any issues. When I’m home, I’m sufficiently far away for this not to be an issue.

Old 04-12-2023 | 07:54 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Santirx
After performing test, Mr12Volt does disconnect automatically after 10 minutes without locking the car.

However, the WiFi range is not as wide as with Isudar (for example). To make this test, I had to stay relatively close to the car. If I got farther away, it would disconnect. This is why I haven’t had any issues. When I’m home, I’m sufficiently far away for this not to be an issue.
Thank you, you beat me to a response!
Old 04-15-2023 | 07:19 AM
sdl2112
Intermediate

For the boot logo, is there a setup file that needs to be included with the image on the USB thumb drive? Also can you update the firmware through USB or only through the SD slot. I asked Mr12volt but no response. If someone has the setup file that would be great…thx. I should be getting my unit today!
Old 04-15-2023 | 07:23 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For the boot logo, is there a setup file that needs to be included with the image on the USB thumb drive? Also can you update the firmware through USB or only through the SD slot. I asked Mr12volt but no response. If someone has the setup file that would be great…thx. I should be getting my unit today!
Did you order the unit from me or mr12volt? I provide all the bootlogo info to customers, and provide the correct standoffs to fit the board.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )