Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 12:02 PM
arnoud-from-nl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arnoud-from-nl
hi, could you explain how you got rid of the MrVolt logo? I see it works but don’t understand how it was done. Great that you found a way to avoid the extra microphone!!!! I am pretty sure I am going to replace my current isudar with this one also!
Stupid me. There is a perfect instruction in the comments of the video. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2022, 02:42 PM
mcaleermj
5th Gear

Chris, did you decide to buy this unit from AliExpress? Curious if you learned anything from your post.

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-04-2022, 02:50 PM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mcaleermj
Chris, did you decide to buy this unit from AliExpress? Curious if you learned anything from your post.

Thanks, Mike
If you are looking for JoyeAuto, I got mine from Shop | Auto Amateur (scroll to bottom). James is also on YouTube with install videos and a stand up guy. Be sure to order the right unit--ask me how I know...
Old 08-04-2022, 03:43 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Still thinking about it. Lots of track days lately so the track car has been distracting me!!
Old 08-08-2022, 12:38 PM
Joseesq
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Referral to SoCal Installer

Now my wife wants to keep her 2015 Cayenne Turbo but only if CarPlay is installed. Does anyone have any referrals to SoCal installers who have installed Joyeauto, ZZ2, Isudar and/or any other compatible units? Alternatively any DIYers would n SoCal? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:26 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't forget about the Mr12Volt option. ZZ2 is only sold to dealers/installers.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:10 AM
tmike
Intermediate

@Santirx Did you have the updated version of the board that goes inside the unit? I would like to know if there is a difference in the audio quality. Also, do you work at Mr. 12V?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802476501383.html

New Version 2.0 - Update!

In order to reduce signal loss, we have redesigned the product, which can be perfectly installed on the original car radio motherboard. Installation is easier and the effect is better.
The old design needs to install and connect the PCB board on the original car's radio motherboard, then connect to the control box. Some car owners report that there is interference and loss of sound and iamges. The new design will give you a more perfect using experience.
Two chips are added: DAC+Operational Amplifier, which cancels the original method of converting digital signals into analog signals and outputting them through the main control chip, and then converts them through external chips, so that the quality of the converted analog signals is higher, and at the same time the transmission distance of the analog signal on the circuit board is shortened, thereby reducing the interference of the external signal source to the minimum. The new version improves the quality of the output source signal to remove noise and improve the sound quality.

Thank you!
Old 08-10-2022, 11:49 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tmike
@Santirx Did you have the updated version of the board that goes inside the unit? I would like to know if there is a difference in the audio quality. Also, do you work at Mr. 12V?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802476501383.html

New Version 2.0 - Update!

In order to reduce signal loss, we have redesigned the product, which can be perfectly installed on the original car radio motherboard. Installation is easier and the effect is better.
The old design needs to install and connect the PCB board on the original car's radio motherboard, then connect to the control box. Some car owners report that there is interference and loss of sound and iamges. The new design will give you a more perfect using experience.
Two chips are added: DAC+Operational Amplifier, which cancels the original method of converting digital signals into analog signals and outputting them through the main control chip, and then converts them through external chips, so that the quality of the converted analog signals is higher, and at the same time the transmission distance of the analog signal on the circuit board is shortened, thereby reducing the interference of the external signal source to the minimum. The new version improves the quality of the output source signal to remove noise and improve the sound quality.

Thank you!
No, I don’t work for Mr12volt.

I’m just a customer. But I have the unique experience of having installed Joye, then Isudar, and now Mr12volt.

The Isudar board you are referencing is the 2.0 version of the board. I had the 1.2 version. But the issue with Isudar, as well as Joye, is that they use AUX analog input of PCM. This degrades the signal. A couple of new chips is just a band-aid, and not solving the root of the audio quality issue.

The reason I went with Mr12volt is because it uses MOST25 digital signal, end to end.

If you have Bose, maybe Isudar is good enough. But I spent north of $6,000 to upgrade my whole audio system with new amplifiers and speakers, and I was not willing to throw that investment away at the source by introducing analog signal. This was my rationale.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:54 AM
tmike
Intermediate

Thanks for clarifying that and making those videos. It makes sense if you spent that much on upgrading your audio system. I will report back if the updated version of the board sounds about the same on the Bose system if I get it. The cost is 1/3 and installation appears to be easier also.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:08 PM
Santirx
Racer

Thanks for clarifying that and making those videos. It makes sense if you spent that much on upgrading your audio system. I will report back if the updated version of the board sounds about the same on the Bose system if I get it. The cost is 1/3 and installation appears to be easier also.
As stated in my video, Isudar is the easiest to install of the three. There is a nominal gain in audio quality between board version 1.2 and version 2.0. I know a lot of folks that are content with Isudar (even with 1.2 board) when installed with Bose system.

But also know some folks that moved from Isudar to Mr12volt, who have Bose, that have noticed audio quality gains.

Nevertheless, my opinion is significantly biased because of my aftermarket audio system.

Last edited by Santirx; 08-10-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:32 PM
tmike
Intermediate

RGTorque is trying to do a group buy so maybe it will be a good price so I'll wait for that. I never had carplay but I got a loaner from the dealership and I tried it out and really liked it. I read two comments on aliexpress regarding the isudar board which I'm assuming they are reviewing the 2.0 board since the comments were made this year and they said there is a huge difference in audio quality.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:39 PM
Santirx
Racer

RGTorque is trying to do a group buy so maybe it will be a good price so I'll wait for that. I never had carplay but I got a loaner from the dealership and I tried it out and really liked it. I read two comments on aliexpress regarding the isudar board which I'm assuming they are reviewing the 2.0 board since the comments were made this year and they said there is a huge difference in audio quality.

Both are saying the same thing, audio is worst than native PCM, and is true. Is going to be worse because you are taking a digital signal out of your phone, then then it goes through the AUX input of PCM which is analog, so there is a digital to analog conversion. That signal gets processed by the Isudar board, then is converted back to digital to be routed via MOST25.

There is a lot of losses in those conversions digital to analog and analog to digital, then you end up with a degraded signal.

Native PCM keeps signal digital.

The loaner doesn’t have to go through that because CarPlay is native in PCM, hence, signal is always digital. Similar to Mr12volt solution, in which signal remains digital end to end. No conversion, hence, no degradation.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:56 PM
tmike
Intermediate

Yeah, that sounds like a great product so I will probably go that route.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:41 PM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I also installed Joye, (wireless will not work with a Google Pixel phone) then Isudar 2.0 and since I mostly listed to talk Radio and news via the PCM I don't see any reason at all to go all digital with mr 12 volt.
The only drawback I have ever encountered is google maps won't come though the PCM becuase I have the sat radio on.
Am I missing anything else with my conclusion?

Old 08-15-2022, 05:42 PM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi all,

I’ve installed the 3.0 version of what I think is the Isudar board, that I purchased from
https://a.aliexpress.com/_voCYeD

It works fine so far but I’ve also noticed the audio not connecting issue after turning the ignition off and on. Is there a firmware upgrade for this board and where can I find it?

Attached a picture of my board version

Thank you

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )