Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 04:57 PM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
So I just replaced my gen2 turbo (totaled by an idiot making an illegal left turn) with a nice lower miles S. I did the Joyeauto board on the turbo several years ago, it was OK when it worked. Car play got more and more fussy. So now I am considering the options. the 3.1 PCM is pretty dated (screen, interface, maps and electronics) so I am considering other options - anybody have experience with this? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256...983833020%21sh
after thinking about it there is very little I used in the base 3.1 system, I used Carplay for just about everything. seems like a good solution. I have the Bose system (Burmiester on the old turbo...it did sound better!)
My hangup with every single aftermarket unit was always that I'd lose my XM satellite radio with the upgrade.
I'd have to be 100% sure there would still be an external XM add-on kit for the radio before I purchased it.
I know I still have one XM add-on in one of my Camaros, and I had identical units in a 99 C5 and a Trailblazer SS but those were all done well over 10 years ago with AVIC-Z130BT units, way before Android on the radio was a thing.
If anyone in this thread has solved that or found a way to get sat radio on these Android units that didn't involve you using your cell phone for data I haven't seen it mentioned yet.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:10 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TMC.
My hangup with every single aftermarket unit was always that I'd lose my XM satellite radio with the upgrade.
I'd have to be 100% sure there would still be an external XM add-on kit for the radio before I purchased it.
I know I still have one XM add-on in one of my Camaros, and I had identical units in a 99 C5 and a Trailblazer SS but those were all done well over 10 years ago with AVIC-Z130BT units, way before Android on the radio was a thing.
If anyone in this thread has solved that or found a way to get sat radio on these Android units that didn't involve you using your cell phone for data I haven't seen it mentioned yet.
Your solution would be using the sirius XM app via carplay, rather than native support through PCM. It works... but you'll be reliant on having data service to get the content.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:39 AM
TMC.
Racer

Originally Posted by Ripking
Your solution would be using the sirius XM app via carplay, rather than native support through PCM. It works... but you'll be reliant on having data service to get the content.
I'm sure that would work for most people, especially if it's just a commuter car.
In my case. I just got back from a 5k mile round trip to Orlando in May. The next trip will probably be to Vegas, then LA, and back.
I've had phones overheat in the middle of the Blue Ridge mountains, another time somewhere in KY on the way to Nashville, and on the way to or from LA in the middle of the desert. (less of an issue since you're on the 15 with nowhere else to go, but I digress).
I end up falling back to my relatively outdated OEM NAV almost every time, if I needed my phone for the radio, that would be out too.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:09 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm sure that would work for most people, especially if it's just a commuter car.
In my case. I just got back from a 5k mile round trip to Orlando in May. The next trip will probably be to Vegas, then LA, and back.
I've had phones overheat in the middle of the Blue Ridge mountains, another time somewhere in KY on the way to Nashville, and on the way to or from LA in the middle of the desert. (less of an issue since you're on the 15 with nowhere else to go, but I digress).
I end up falling back to my relatively outdated OEM NAV almost every time, if I needed my phone for the radio, that would be out too.
odd, I just got back from a long trip (110 miles in one day) and streamed music from my phone the whole way. Never had a problem
Old 07-15-2022, 01:47 AM
TMC.
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris White
odd, I just got back from a long trip (110 miles in one day) and streamed music from my phone the whole way. Never had a problem
I typically go from Detroit to Orlando straight through. About 16 hours total there and back, (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less) the only times I've stopped for the night is due to weather or a tire.
I'm not talking an hour or two in the car

Last edited by TMC.; 07-15-2022 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:56 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I typically go from Detroit to Orlando straight through. About 16 hours total there and back, (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less) the only times I've stopped for the night is due to weather or a tire.
I'm not talking an hour or two in the car
sorry, typo on my post, 1,100 miles not 110!
The following users liked this post:
TMC. (07-15-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 12:11 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you PM me about the Panamera CarPlay upgrade, namely how you like it 2 years later? I am very interested in this for my 2015 Panamera. There is some urgency. I have a 2022 Cayenne S on order, and it’s supposed to be delivered in about a week. If I could get CarPlay in my much beloved Panamera, I may keep it rather than trade.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2022, 12:06 PM
orangedawg
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like Isudar has a version 3.0 of their board. Anyone know the difference in this vs. their v2.1 board for PCM 3.1?
Old 07-17-2022, 01:50 PM
TMC.
Racer

Originally Posted by orangedawg
It looks like Isudar has a version 3.0 of their board. Anyone know the difference in this vs. their v2.1 board for PCM 3.1?
The last time someone asked, it was just marketing. (unless it was a different seller) I bought his from Amazon.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:28 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Anyone ever purchased from these folks? : https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/pors...ne-cayman-911/

Just saw Harry's Garage video on YT where he used this company for his Project 7. I wonder if it's the same thing as Isudar (board replacement).... Will ask, but doubt they will confirm...
Old 07-19-2022, 05:45 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus B.
Anyone ever purchased from these folks? : https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/pors...ne-cayman-911/

Just saw Harry's Garage video on YT where he used this company for his Project 7. I wonder if it's the same thing as Isudar (board replacement).... Will ask, but doubt they will confirm...
You should consider this one: https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...ce-dsp-pcm31md

I just replaced my Isudar board with this system because is the only in the market that has direct MOST25 connection to audio, so you don’t have to go through AUX (if you have Bose or Burmester). So, I originally installed Joye, then replaced it with Isudar, and now replaced Isudar with Mr12volt.

Audio quality blew me away. Orders of magnitude better than Isudar in terms of audio quality. And very quick response as well.

See my videos here:
Mr12Volt Carplay Module Installation - PCM3.1 - Porsche Macan 2015

Mr12Volt Carplay REVIEW - PCM3.1 - Porsche Macan 2015

UPDATE: Mr12Volt Boot Up Logo change and Factory Mic Hack

Last edited by Santirx; 07-19-2022 at 05:49 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Santirx:
8KaboveMSL (07-22-2022), afriedrich (08-31-2022), Gus B. (07-22-2022), NN. (11-24-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 06:30 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Found your post on another thread as soon as I posted my question above. Looks interesting. I'm assuming that no issues and this is the way to go vs. Isudar? The $200 price difference could pay for the install.... The car I'm about to purchase doesn't have the Burmester speakers and I don't need the absolute highest fidelity sound while stuck in traffic once or twice per week when I use the car (have Paradigm Studio speakers at home for that!).
Old 07-19-2022, 06:42 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Originally Posted by BW369
I just shared it above. Here it is: ZZ2 IT3-PCM31

The link does not provide pricing as they only deal through dealers. Because I'm overseas, they'd be willing to send me one at a cost of $1,100. Just posting it here for reference sake as I did not find it elsewhere on this thread. Not sure what US dealers charge for this unit (plus install).
Old 07-21-2022, 06:14 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Originally Posted by Gus B.

Just heard back from the folks over at Unique Auto Development (UAD) and was told that their currently priced at £525.99 (±$631.02 at today's exchange rate) seems to be similar to Isudar as I got this as part of their response "This product does involve opening the head unit and installing a FPC board and ribbon cables". Posting this for future reference sake.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:25 AM
arnoud-from-nl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Santirx
You should consider this one: https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...ce-dsp-pcm31md

I just replaced my Isudar board with this system because is the only in the market that has direct MOST25 connection to audio, so you don’t have to go through AUX (if you have Bose or Burmester). So, I originally installed Joye, then replaced it with Isudar, and now replaced Isudar with Mr12volt.

Audio quality blew me away. Orders of magnitude better than Isudar in terms of audio quality. And very quick response as well.

See my videos here:
Mr12Volt Carplay Module Installation - PCM3.1 - Porsche Macan 2015
https://youtu.be/AW6jjKqelvA

Mr12Volt Carplay REVIEW - PCM3.1 - Porsche Macan 2015
https://youtu.be/hX_cBdIeiyo

UPDATE: Mr12Volt Boot Up Logo change and Factory Mic Hack
https://youtu.be/9o87n5c_ReE

hi, could you explain how you got rid of the MrVolt logo? I see it works but don’t understand how it was done. Great that you found a way to avoid the extra microphone!!!! I am pretty sure I am going to replace my current isudar with this one also!

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )