Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 02:54 PM
PhineasFlynn
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I have tried once again and no luck. Will keep playing around with the disk format and jpg. It did flash it was updating, but only quickly and then went to the mode of trying to play songs on the USB.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:58 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PhineasFlynn
Thanks. I have tried once again and no luck. Will keep playing around with the disk format and jpg. It did flash it was updating, but only quickly and then went to the mode of trying to play songs on the USB.
Make sure you can see the file extension in windows. There should be NO file extension.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 04-17-2023, 03:13 PM
PhineasFlynn
Intermediate

Yes, I removed .jpg from the file name. Will keep trying.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:02 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes, I removed .jpg from the file name. Will keep trying.
In modern Windows version, you need to ensure the .jpg extension is actually removed. Easier to go to File Explorer and check box “File Name Extensions” to show the file extension and then delete from file name.

Last edited by Santirx; 04-17-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:47 PM
PhineasFlynn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Santirx
In modern Windows version, you need to ensure the .jpg extension is actually removed. Easier to go to File Explorer and check box “File Name Extensions” to show the file extension and then delete from file name.

Thanks. I thought I had taken off the jpg each time I tried an attempt. Appears I did not the last time. I got it work now. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Santirx (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 06:35 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks. I thought I had taken off the jpg each time I tried an attempt. Appears I did not the last time. I got it work now. Thank you.
Great! I added the Windows and Mac instructions on how to remove the *.jpg extension in the description section of the video, to add more clarity.

Subscribe to the channel, if you haven’t done so… it will mean a lot!!
Old 08-04-2023, 12:33 AM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

I've recently picked up a 14 Cayenne to beat around in and I want to add CarPlay to the PCM 3.1 since we dont have a factory retrofit, yet... I did a PCCM+ in my 997 earlier this year and it was brilliant!

So my question is: which is the most native integration in peoples experience? I would like the ability to run a navigation app like Waze or Google whilst listening to the FM radio, from my reading I understand it isn't always possible?

I'd narrowed it to NM Auto UK or mr 12 Volt so far.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2023, 07:10 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrix
I've recently picked up a 14 Cayenne to beat around in and I want to add CarPlay to the PCM 3.1 since we dont have a factory retrofit, yet... I did a PCCM+ in my 997 earlier this year and it was brilliant!

So my question is: which is the most native integration in peoples experience? I would like the ability to run a navigation app like Waze or Google whilst listening to the FM radio, from my reading I understand it isn't always possible?

I'd narrowed it to NM Auto UK or mr 12 Volt so far.

Cheers

I've heard good things about Mr 12 Volt. Personally, I went with NM Auto and needed a *lot* of help with the install (self inflicted), including sourcing a second used PCM after I fried the first one. They were incredibly supportive.

Also, by the way, during the install, I upgraded to an SSD. Easy enough to do...I bought a cloning station and kept the original as backup.

With regard to FM radio. I don't know how you'd listen to *native* FM...but...in my case, I have an app for my favorite radio station (WBUR) and can listen to realtime broadcasts that way through Carplay. Many radio stations do have apps, and there are some generic apps that give access to multiple radio stations. Might be worth looking into...

Last edited by lml999; 08-04-2023 at 07:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Astrix (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 07:39 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
I've heard good things about Mr 12 Volt. Personally, I went with NM Auto and needed a *lot* of help with the install (self inflicted), including sourcing a second used PCM after I fried the first one. They were incredibly supportive.

Also, by the way, during the install, I upgraded to an SSD. Easy enough to do...I bought a cloning station and kept the original as backup.

With regard to FM radio. I don't know how you'd listen to *native* FM...but...in my case, I have an app for my favorite radio station (WBUR) and can listen to realtime broadcasts that way through Carplay. Many radio stations do have apps, and there are some generic apps that give access to multiple radio stations. Might be worth looking into...
The best quality audio will come from the Mr12Volt as it's the only one in the market that uses the native fiber optic MOST system. Most pcm upgrades are copies of one another. The OG players are joyauto, isudar, and Mr12Volt. The only one that's not been copied is Mr12Volt. NM is a variant of the joyauto system.

The only benifits I see in the nmaudio or isudar kit are that they are cheaper, with isudar there is less to install (no external box). Though isudar has been having a hell of a time recently due to poor firmware.the last benifit is that they work with CDR systems (looks like pcm but it's not). These are more common in small body porsche like 911s.

I ran each of the others in my personal vehicle. In then end removed them and went with mr12volt. It's the most expensive (beside the crazy priced joyauto /isudar clones), has an external box like joyauto but it offers the best audo quality, and best support.

I don't believe any of these systems run Fm or Sat natively because that's not a native function of carplay or Android auto.

Last edited by Roman ACS; 08-04-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:45 PM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an isudar. One can not use a Joyeauto unit wirelessly with a pixel phone, so the upgrade was forced.
I listen exclusively to XM radio. Subsequently, my google maps has no volume.
There may be a workaround, and there most likely is, but I don't care enough to seek it out. Other than that minor inconvenience, it's a much cleaner install than the Joye unit, and for that reason alone would recommend it. (please note I do not have an unlimited data plan if you're listening to things streaming from your phone my volume issues likely won't apply)
My car has a Bose system. The audiophile arguments regarding mr12volt may be justified however, given the compressed nature of XM radio, my vehicle's inherent limitations, and my choice of programming, I can't see any reason to change or upgrade again.
I also upgraded from an IDE hard drive to a SSD during the upgrade. Most PCM 3.1 units have a SATA hard drive making the SSD upgrade that much easier.
YMMV
Old 08-04-2023, 11:14 PM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the responses!

And just to clarify what I mean by native radio, I am asking if I can listen to the FM radio via the factory PCM & run CarPlay for maps simultaneously.

radio app, could be a workaround but I’ll have to check my options here in Australia

cheers
Old 08-05-2023, 01:30 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Listening to FM would be the same as my listening to XM, it's when you're pumping your audio through the add-in board via your phone the sound is being routed through your analog AUX port.
This analog connection to your AUX port is what Mr12Volt addresses.
You won't hear your maps directions through the radio but your FM sound quality will be exactly the same as before your upgrade.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:06 AM
Manuel12345
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Original mic connector

hello everyone, my name is Manuel and I'm new in the group. I recently fitted an aftermarket screen to my Porsche. The screen is complete with CarPlay internet and is really nice. the problem comes now that the microphone of the screen is not of good quality. my question is if any of you know what the mic pins are. originals of the car on the quadlock. it seems that my quadlock is peculiar. in the connector where the mic pins should be there are only 4 pins (1. on one side, and 3 on the other side). thank you all and i hope someone can give me some feedback

Old 08-13-2023, 12:54 AM
FunnyFarmer
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Joyeauto CarPlay cuts out when apply brakes

Anyone experience sound from their speakers cutting out while applying brakes and listening to audio on their Joyeauto CarPlay or know what would cause this? This doesn’t happen when the tuner is set to FM or any other audio source.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:52 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 158 Posts

Well, my lovely wife just purchased a Mr12Volt for me for our anniversary. Hoping to get it installed sooner than later !!

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )