Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 05:10 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by don16
Have you recieved your unit yet?
No, not yet. Maybe a couple weeks out yet.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:41 AM
Jzam
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tluv
Can someone recommend a shop in either the San Francisco Bay Area or Southern California area for installation? I'm terribly inept.
Any luck with a bay area installer?
Old 08-27-2021, 01:13 AM
konkab
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

@konkab - how's the custom firmware coming along? Did you get any further with the Bluetooth transmitter?
No any noticeable progress on firmware. I tried 60 FPS mod, but I didn't like how it worked. It feels like refresh rate of the screen doesn't match refresh rate of CarPlay and because of that it doesn't feel that smooth as it was on Joyeauto. Maybe on Android Auto it works better, but I haven't tested it yet.

Regarding steering wheel buttons and volume **** issues no any progress as well. It seems like this kind of "hardware" stuff is programmed in MCU, a separate STM32 chip on board that has its own firmware. I tried some hacks in the SOC firmware, but no luck yet.

Chinese guys sent me another firmware dated August 5, but I don't see any changes in it. Also trying to settle all these issues with the seller and their engineer, but no progress here as well
The following users liked this post:
BW369 (10-04-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 09:57 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by konkab
No any noticeable progress on firmware. I tried 60 FPS mod, but I didn't like how it worked. It feels like refresh rate of the screen doesn't match refresh rate of CarPlay and because of that it doesn't feel that smooth as it was on Joyeauto. Maybe on Android Auto it works better, but I haven't tested it yet.

Regarding steering wheel buttons and volume **** issues no any progress as well. It seems like this kind of "hardware" stuff is programmed in MCU, a separate STM32 chip on board that has its own firmware. I tried some hacks in the SOC firmware, but no luck yet.

Chinese guys sent me another firmware dated August 5, but I don't see any changes in it. Also trying to settle all these issues with the seller and their engineer, but no progress here as well
Thanks for your efforts on this @konkab.

Too bad that they decided to do this, and there will be no easy fix for these quirks. I’m getting used to some of them, but that steering wheel control is hard to overcome… in any case, I wanted to thank you.

Good luck in trying to figure it out. We are still hopeful!

And any firmware updates that you receive, can you post here?

Again, thanks!
Old 08-28-2021, 08:59 AM
sacaman
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Konkab

I have access to their technical team, if you like I can do a WhatsApp group with them and we will ask them to make the change directly in their software if you or anyone like to send me your WhatsApp in PM

have a nice day

sacaman
Old 09-01-2021, 09:07 AM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Santirx
Thanks for your efforts on this @konkab.

Too bad that they decided to do this, and there will be no easy fix for these quirks. I’m getting used to some of them, but that steering wheel control is hard to overcome… in any case, I wanted to thank you.

Good luck in trying to figure it out. We are still hopeful!

And any firmware updates that you receive, can you post here?

Again, thanks!
Sure, here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwbhch9f7q...08-05.rar?dl=0

Originally Posted by sacaman
@Konkab

I have access to their technical team, if you like I can do a WhatsApp group with them and we will ask them to make the change directly in their software if you or anyone like to send me your WhatsApp in PM

have a nice day

sacaman
I'll PM you now.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2021, 03:10 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Santirx
Thanks!
Is this konkab's latest firmware revision for the iSudar board? If so, what does this do?
Old 09-02-2021, 01:53 AM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by LSR
Is this konkab's latest firmware revision for the iSudar board? If so, what does this do?
No, this is not a custom firmware, but the latest from Isudar.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:12 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

No, this is not a custom firmware, but the latest from Isudar.
Does it do anything new, different, better?
Old 09-02-2021, 04:49 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

So I mentioned a few posts back that I had a white noise and interference type noise which I didn't notice at the start. I have since swapped out the cable for aux from board with a high quality audio cable and from the connector to back of PCM again with high quality audio cable. The noises both remain, audio does seem a little better but it still has a harsh tone to it and this can be noticed on some songs with which vocals have been autotuned. One thing that is really annoying me and I wonder if its the source of the interference is just how strong the WiFi Signal is! Like I can be up stairs in my house a room back and my phone still is connected to car. Is there anyway to turn signal down, I would much prefer stretch to just cover the vehicle plus a little.

Videos of noises:

Old 09-03-2021, 04:04 AM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by LSR
Does it do anything new, different, better?
I haven't noticed any changes.

So I mentioned a few posts back that I had a white noise and interference type noise which I didn't notice at the start. I have since swapped out the cable for aux from board with a high quality audio cable and from the connector to back of PCM again with high quality audio cable. The noises both remain, audio does seem a little better but it still has a harsh tone to it and this can be noticed on some songs with which vocals have been autotuned. One thing that is really annoying me and I wonder if its the source of the interference is just how strong the WiFi Signal is! Like I can be up stairs in my house a room back and my phone still is connected to car. Is there anyway to turn signal down, I would much prefer stretch to just cover the vehicle plus a little.

Videos of noises:
https://youtu.be/1_TMz9lPJ7c
https://youtu.be/q88sG6KqUn8
I have the same white noise when connected to AUX2USB, but in reality I never make 100% volume without music playing. When music is playing, the noise is almost unnoticeable. Yes, this is a compromise between awful factory AUX and AUX2USB and to me AUX2USB sounds way better. I believe the white noise issue is inside of AUX2USB adapter.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:25 AM
don16
Instructor

I haven't noticed any changes.

I have the same white noise when connected to AUX2USB, but in reality I never make 100% volume without music playing. When music is playing, the noise is almost unnoticeable. Yes, this is a compromise between awful factory AUX and AUX2USB and to me AUX2USB sounds way better. I believe the white noise issue is inside of AUX2USB adapter.
This has nothing to do with the adaptor as I am no longer using the adaptor as I can't say I noticed any big improvements when using Android Auto Wireless, I will say after a long drive today audio has improved since swapping out the audio cable for something better. It's just a shame the connector(JST SH) on the board is so tiny as is the hole to pass through the cables out of PCM! Ideally I would prefer a single AUX cable from the board to the back of PCM bypassing the Molex Micro fit 3.0.connector.

It would be great if someone with an unmodified unit could check for the noises I mentioned, white noise at close to max volume when wired/wireless and the WiFi interference noise at 60-70+ volume when using wireless CP/AA.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:04 AM
konkab
Advanced

This has nothing to do with the adaptor as I am no longer using the adaptor as I can't say I noticed any big improvements when using Android Auto Wireless, I will say after a long drive today audio has improved since swapping out the audio cable for something better. It's just a shame the connector(JST SH) on the board is so tiny as is the hole to pass through the cables out of PCM! Ideally I would prefer a single AUX cable from the board to the back of PCM bypassing the Molex Micro fit 3.0.connector.

It would be great if someone with an unmodified unit could check for the noises I mentioned, white noise at close to max volume when wired/wireless and the WiFi interference noise at 60-70+ volume when using wireless CP/AA.
Are you getting the noise when connected to factory AUX? Do you have anything plugged in to USB? First video title is confusing.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:03 PM
don16
Instructor

Are you getting the noise when connected to factory AUX? Do you have anything plugged in to USB? First video title is confusing.
​​​​Yes, the white noise is evident on 80%+ volumes with AA connected via USB using normal factory aux (as unit arrives) and the interference noise happens is there when connected to AA via wireless again using factory aux.

Cable is the same as delivered, the only difference is I have swapped out the aux cables between board and pcm3.1.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )