Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 05:30 PM
jjdepalma
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Since Nick @ NM Automotive can't ship to the US, i just ordered the latest UniChip unit (the one he uses) directly from UniChip. You have to do it from their Facebook page. I emailed with Nick, and for a fee, he sent me his install instructions, standoff studs, new mic, and access to their software updates. He also said if/as I had questions, he would assist. I figured it's worth the money since he knows what he's doing! The new UniChip that NM uses is wireless now as well.

I hope to try and knock this out this weekend, and will post updates.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jjdepalma
Since Nick @ NM Automotive can't ship to the US, i just ordered the latest UniChip unit (the one he uses) directly from UniChip. You have to do it from their Facebook page. I emailed with Nick, and for a fee, he sent me his install instructions, standoff studs, new mic, and access to their software updates. He also said if/as I had questions, he would assist. I figured it's worth the money since he knows what he's doing! The new UniChip that NM uses is wireless now as well.

I hope to try and knock this out this weekend, and will post updates.
Can you provide the link to the correct UniChip Facebook link?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

In regard to iOS issues.... 1. Because you bought an Apple. 2. Wife's phone did the latest update and does strange things with bluetooth now. Disconnects when pleases, sound in/out, echo.
So, pretty sure it isn't your Joyauto, but the phone.

Was looking online for Joyauto unit, looks like there are a million of them.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329656...014&gclid=null

Also, stumbled on this.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328801...330&gclid=null
Old 10-01-2019, 11:05 AM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Heads up that Apple released iOS 13.1.2 yesterday, which included some bluetooth fixes.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

If there is someone capable to install this properly in South Florida Id like to get one for 2016 991.1RS and 2016 MacanS.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:37 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BrendonSF
Heads up that Apple released iOS 13.1.2 yesterday, which included some bluetooth fixes.
About time.... useless company with terrible products and great marketing scheme.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:34 AM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
did you order this birds eye view kit? It’s very interesting... wish they had more details and pictures with a cayenne instead of a bmw
if you ordered it keep us posted!
Old 10-02-2019, 01:30 PM
lexart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendonSF
I just updated my iPhone X yesterday to the latest iOS 13.1.2 release, which, according to the release notes, includes fixes to address BT disconnect issues. Immediately after upgrade to 13.1.2 release, (it worked without issues with iOS 13.0 and 13.1.0) I lost ability to connect to Joyeauto kit over BT. My phone can still 'see' Joyeauto's IDCORE CarPlay access id but it would not automatically connect. I can force iPhone connection to IDCORE manually but even after it shows 'Connected' state, the Joyauto kit would _not_ display default Car Play screen. Pushing 'Navi' button produces no change and I cannot get the kit to respond and recognize my updated iPhone. My suspicion is that there's something changed in 13.1.2 specifically wrt BT handling of CarPlay devices.

If you have updated your iPhone to 13.1.2 latest release, can you share your experience pls?

BTW, I am in contact with Kevin in support at Joyeauto but progress is slow so far . . .
Old 10-02-2019, 05:28 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
did you order this birds eye view kit? It’s very interesting... wish they had more details and pictures with a cayenne instead of a bmw
if you ordered it keep us posted!
I haven't ordered it only due to the fact thatI'm not sure it's compatible with my 2011
Old 10-02-2019, 05:50 PM
jjdepalma
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry for the delay. here' s the facebook link...or search facebook for @wirelesscarplay
Unichip OBD2 solution, CarPlay Smartbox PSW smart module and ect
Old 10-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Mike DeStefano
6th Gear

Hey all - I just got done with an install of the Joyeauto wireless Carplay unit for a 2016 Cayenne GTS. I can't say it went flawlessly but after a couple of adjustments, it works perfectly.

Watch out for the fiber cable being installed upside down. Also, the new wireless version for the 3.2 unit now has an ACC power cable that needs to be plugged into the #38 in the fuse box. Not just any open circuit.

So far so good...
Old 10-04-2019, 03:45 PM
khare
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when i upgraded to 13.1.2 - I had to force BT to connect before the CarPlay display would come on.
I don't have to "force" the connection anymore ...all i did was to change the fuse I connect the fuse adapter from joyeauto to one which cuts power when the ignition is turned off - previously the fuse I had connected the system to was powered even when the ignition was turned off. If the unit was powered up I suspect you have to force the BT connection with 13.1.2 ...... I found an unused fuse in my car and since then the system powers up and gets to carplay display screen in about 25 seconds after turning on the car.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Mike DeStefano
6th Gear

Your post just confirmed what I ended up doing last night after a few connection hiccups. I originally had the power (fuse) inserted in the console Auxilliary slot - which is always on. So, I don't think it was good for a couple of reasons. Always on and the connection issue I was having. I then relocated it an open slot that powers down after the car is off. That did the trick. Now it's working as I was hoping it would. I am also pretty impressed with the sound quality as well. I was hoping for somethign better than mediocre and after dialing in the EQ and Loudness I'm not disappointed.

Thanks for your posts.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:36 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by lexart
I just updated my iPhone X yesterday to the latest iOS 13.1.2 release, which, according to the release notes, includes fixes to address BT disconnect issues. Immediately after upgrade to 13.1.2 release, (it worked without issues with iOS 13.0 and 13.1.0) I lost ability to connect to Joyeauto kit over BT. My phone can still 'see' Joyeauto's IDCORE CarPlay access id but it would not automatically connect. I can force iPhone connection to IDCORE manually but even after it shows 'Connected' state, the Joyauto kit would _not_ display default Car Play screen. Pushing 'Navi' button produces no change and I cannot get the kit to respond and recognize my updated iPhone. My suspicion is that there's something changed in 13.1.2 specifically wrt BT handling of CarPlay devices.

It appears that I have resolved my post iOS 13.1.2 bluetooth connectivity issues with Joyeauto kit. The 'fix' is to force power cycle of the CarPlay controller. In my case, I have additional ACC (new undocumented addition on later build 48-pin wiring harness) which connects to switched power on fuse connection #38 on right side fuse panel. Removing ACC wire to #38 fuse slot does _not_ reset the controller. Power must also be removed from the PCM itself that provides constant power to the Joyeauto controller. The PCM is powered via fuse #51, again on the right side fuse panel. To summarize, with ignition off, remove ACC switched power at #38 fuse slot, remove 10A fuse PCM #51 fuse. Give it a few seconds, restore ACC connection, replace #51 fuse and turn ignition to assessory power position. You should breefly see default Joeyauto configuration screen and your iPhone should automatically connect to IDCORE BT on the controller. I did not delete IDCORE CarPlay BT from my iPhone, so my phone connected up and CarPlay display appeared on the PCM. That was easy
Old 10-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lexart

It appears that I have resolved my post iOS 13.1.2 bluetooth connectivity issues with Joyeauto kit. The 'fix' is to force power cycle of the CarPlay controller. In my case, I have additional ACC (new undocumented addition on later build 48-pin wiring harness) which connects to switched power on fuse connection #38 on right side fuse panel. Removing ACC wire to #38 fuse slot does _not_ reset the controller. Power must also be removed from the PCM itself that provides constant power to the Joyeauto controller. The PCM is powered via fuse #51, again on the right side fuse panel. To summarize, with ignition off, remove ACC switched power at #38 fuse slot, remove 10A fuse PCM #51 fuse. Give it a few seconds, restore ACC connection, replace #51 fuse and turn ignition to assessory power position. You should breefly see default Joeyauto configuration screen and your iPhone should automatically connect to IDCORE BT on the controller. I did not delete IDCORE CarPlay BT from my iPhone, so my phone connected up and CarPlay display appeared on the PCM. That was easy
I also had my unit freeze up a few days ago. I contacted tech support and they told me to run a wire and tap into ACC power. I really didn't want to do that as it was working fine before. I ended up pulling fuse #51 and that brought it back. I was having the same issue where I'd see IDCORE but pressing Navi wouldn't switch to CarPlay. I updated my firmware in the Joyeauto unit yesterday and re-paired my phone.

Those who are running the ACC power option, was that something included in the kit or did you do this yourselves? Also does it take any longer for CarPlay and music to start working from a cold start using ACC power?

thanks,

Misha

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )