Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 03:10 PM
Farmer Michael
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by schernov
Any more detail on this unit ? Do you have to open up the PCM like others?
When I enquired they said that there is a small PCB to fit inside for the touchscreen to work with the unit. Once I have sorted my timing cover leak and am happy that I am keeping the Cayenne I think that I may well go for it.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:33 PM
schernov
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmer Michael
When I enquired they said that there is a small PCB to fit inside for the touchscreen to work with the unit. Once I have sorted my timing cover leak and am happy that I am keeping the Cayenne I think that I may well go for it.
I reached out to UK vendor and they sent me install instructions. No different than any other unit.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:46 AM
Mark Webber
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would this be the same Carplay module (USA based company): https://thecarplayer.com/collections...orsche-pcm-3-1
Old 03-26-2021, 11:19 AM
duffman04
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Webber
Would this be the same Carplay module (USA based company): https://thecarplayer.com/collections...orsche-pcm-3-1
They're all the same unit just resold by a bunch of resellers. AliExpress will be the cheapest most likely and probably not even take much more time to get shipped to you, at most a day or two more but will save you a few hundred $$.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:57 PM
aneki
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased the joyeauto version from Aliexpress and installed it yesterday, all went great with no problems. I have had one freeze up of the unit since install however this was to having constant power to the box and will relocate the fuse to a different spot as indicated earlier on in this thread.

Overall impressions are super easy to install following the instructions and excellent upgrade to pcm 3.1

I followed this video for the install, very easy to follow, only things I didn't do was disconnect the cd player ribbon cable as there is enough room to do everything with it connected.

The following users liked this post:
foodbiker (04-02-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 01:55 PM
abatis
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by aneki
I purchased the joyeauto version from Aliexpress and installed it yesterday, all went great with no problems. I have had one freeze up of the unit since install however this was to having constant power to the box and will relocate the fuse to a different spot as indicated earlier on in this thread.

Overall impressions are super easy to install following the instructions and excellent upgrade to pcm 3.1

I followed this video for the install, very easy to follow, only things I didn't do was disconnect the cd player ribbon cable as there is enough room to do everything with it connected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf_u38rz6_0
I installed the Joyauto awhile back and it works great. Yesterday I connected my wireless license plate camera to the unit. Works and nice to have the backup camera on the pcm.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:05 AM
konkab
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New Joyeauto Unit Update

Hey everyone, I'm happy to share a new firmware update for Joyeauto owners.

The update drastically improves smoothness of CarPlay experience by 2x and activates 60 frame per second capability instead of previous 30 FPS. It makes CarPlay much more responsive.

It's based on the latest original Joyeauto firmware from 2021-03-26 and includes all my previous fixes. I flashed the firmware on my unit, tested it and can confirm it works fine.

2021-5-10.custom.v2:
- Enables 60 FPS CarPlay capability

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yd4b7f2k3...BOOOT.BIN?dl=0

CarPlay Software Update Instruction:

Use at your own risk.

After firmware upgrade your settings will be reset to default. To restore your settings, you'll need to:
1. Go to Settings -> Carplay -> Enter 1123 -> Select Porsche
2. Go to Settings -> Smartphone -> Reboot
3. Setup wireless CarPlay again.
4. Restore other settings like EQ, Display, etc.

Last edited by konkab; 05-11-2021 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Added update instruction
The following 11 users liked this post by konkab:
aneki (05-11-2021), cbracerx (05-12-2021), duffman04 (05-10-2021), ElCid86 (06-05-2022), LittleBitBent (05-10-2021), Mirrorslap (05-12-2021), NN. (05-10-2021), pfbz (05-11-2021), qsharif (05-11-2021), Ripking (10-01-2021), tgihc (11-28-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-10-2021, 10:09 AM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

That's very cool. Thanks for modding the firmware! Two quick questions:

1) As the frame rate is doubled, I'm guessing the onboard GPU (if there is one) on the JoyeAuto unit would have to work twice as hard. Any overheating issues at all per either the JoyeAuto or the PCM?

2) As I've only used the JoyeAuto unit for about 4-6 weeks, the only two CarPlay items I've largely depended upon are Waze and Pandora. What particular CarPlay items are available that would benefit from 60fps? Before I bought the JoyeAuto unit, I thought I'd be able to stream videos (for my passenger -- my eyes are on the road), but that still doesn't seem obvious.

If this makes the main unit smoother, sign me up!

Thanks and again - very cool with the firmware hack.

Last edited by foodbiker; 05-10-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:10 AM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by konkab

The update drastically improves smoothness of CarPlay experience by 2x and activates 60 frame per second capability instead of previous 30 FPS. It makes CarPlay much more responsive.

It's based on the latest original Joyeauto firmware from 2021-03-26 and includes all my previous fixes. I flashed the firmware on my unit, tested it and can confirm it works fine.

2021-5-10.custom.v2:
- Enables 60 FPS CarPlay capability

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yd4b7f2k3...BOOOT.BIN?dl=0

Use at your own risk.

After firmware upgrade your settings will be reset to default. To restore your settings, you'll need to:
1. Go to Settings -> Carplay -> Enter 1123 -> Select Porsche
2. Go to Settings -> Smartphone -> Reboot
3. Setup wireless CarPlay again.
4. Restore other settings like EQ, Display, etc.
Nice! I didn't realize there was a new firmware released in March. Did it include your main screen image resize, or is theirs still stretched? Will give your latest a try.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:45 AM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by foodbiker
That's very cool. Thanks for modding the firmware! Two quick questions:

1) As the frame rate is doubled, I'm guessing the onboard GPU (if there is one) on the JoyeAuto unit would have to work twice as hard. Any overheating issues at all per either the JoyeAuto or the PCM?

2) As I've only used the JoyeAuto unit for about 4-6 weeks, the only two CarPlay items I've largely depended upon are Waze and Pandora. What particular CarPlay items are available that would benefit from 60fps? Before I bought the JoyeAuto unit, I thought I'd be able to stream videos (for my passenger -- my eyes are on the road), but that still doesn't seem obvious.

If this makes the main unit smoother, sign me up!

Thanks and again - very cool with the firmware hack.
1. The unit is designed to support 60 FPS and the mod is not a cpu overclock or something, it’s just a software change. For example iOS wired screen mirroring supports 60 FPS by default. But anyways I can’t guarantee anything.

2. It just makes overall ui responsiveness much smoother. All the apps you use will be just smoother. It’s a very noticeable change.
foodbiker (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 10:50 AM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
Nice! I didn't realize there was a new firmware released in March. Did it include your main screen image resize, or is theirs still stretched? Will give your latest a try.
Joeyauto don’t care about distorted screen image and they just ignore this obvious issue. But don’t worry my screen size fix is still there in the custom firmware. Also in their latest firmware they added more sound volume options. You should definitely check it out. I’m as a user very impressed.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:54 AM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks fantastic and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I have to dive back in to access the unit per a front camera sometime soon and hope to install it then. Faster/smoother performance is a huge plus.

Probably a silly question, but how exactly do you mirror the iOS screen using the JoyeAuto unit? Is that even possible? From what I can see, it only activates CarPlay with my iPhone. (Maybe I'm missing something that's right under my nose?)
Old 05-10-2021, 12:47 PM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by foodbiker
Thanks fantastic and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I have to dive back in to access the unit per a front camera sometime soon and hope to install it then. Faster/smoother performance is a huge plus.

Probably a silly question, but how exactly do you mirror the iOS screen using the JoyeAuto unit? Is that even possible? From what I can see, it only activates CarPlay with my iPhone. (Maybe I'm missing something that's right under my nose?)
If you have access to the USB wire, which you should have, you don't need to access the unit from the back. Just plug a USB flash drive into USB and update.

Btw, this is related to your question. You can use iOS screen mirroring only with wired connection. In order to do the mirroring, you need to select "Mirroing" in "Smartphone" settings in the unit and then connect your iPhone via USB cable.
foodbiker (05-11-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 05:51 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Joeyauto don’t care about distorted screen image and they just ignore this obvious issue. But don’t worry my screen size fix is still there in the custom firmware. Also in their latest firmware they added more sound volume options. You should definitely check it out. I’m as a user very impressed.
that update is AMAZING! The upgraded refresh rate completely changes the user experience! It’s so fast and crisp now! Best update since your screen size hack! Thank you!!
Old 05-11-2021, 01:30 AM
aneki
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you so much for this!!
I just installed it and WOW it’s like chalk and cheese the difference.
This is a significant upgrade to the joyeauto version.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )