Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 08:44 PM
sacaman
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Friend's

i join the adventure and do the upgrade, but with a new product from a company called cartizan their product have only the PCB inside the PCM and the harness with an external Mic and USB extension there is no other hardware i will try to get a photo's for the PCB
it has the Bluetooth and the WIFI built-in
it can do wire and wireless carplay and android auto
it works fluently, but i get only one small problem, it's i lost the sound after i get a call only way is to restart the android auto application or remove the wifi and return it back
Did you get this kind of issue with JoyeAuto? if yes, how did you solve it

Greeting from Morocco
sacaman
Old 06-14-2021, 05:45 AM
qsharif
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sacaman
Hello Friend's

i join the adventure and do the upgrade, but with a new product from a company called cartizan their product have only the PCB inside the PCM and the harness with an external Mic and USB extension there is no other hardware i will try to get a photo's for the PCB
it has the Bluetooth and the WIFI built-in
it can do wire and wireless carplay and android auto
it works fluently, but i get only one small problem, it's i lost the sound after i get a call only way is to restart the android auto application or remove the wifi and return it back
Did you get this kind of issue with JoyeAuto? if yes, how did you solve it

Greeting from Morocco
sacaman
hey Sacaman

This sounds like an interesting device, not heard of it before.
not facing such issues with Joyeauto yet.
The following users liked this post:
sacaman (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 09:21 AM
yetti96
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

So I recently had a loaner with CarPlay and realized how badly I want it. I want to show waze but listen to the radio, do either the joyeauto or NM Automotive make this possible or easy?
I guess I am asking, is it an all or nothing on carplay or does it just seem to integrate to be an additional resource and work in conjunction?
Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by yetti96
So I recently had a loaner with CarPlay and realized how badly I want it. I want to show waze but listen to the radio, do either the joyeauto or NM Automotive make this possible or easy?
I guess I am asking, is it an all or nothing on carplay or does it just seem to integrate to be an additional resource and work in conjunction?
You can use any audio source that exists today on the PCM. CarPlay is found on the AUX input but you can select any other while CarPlay is being shown on the LCD.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:58 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 537 Posts

Got my box from Nick today. Looking forward to pulling the dash apart and getting this upgrade installed...

Last time I did this was to install an RNS-E on my Audi...
Old 06-14-2021, 06:35 PM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by yetti96
I have been wondering the same thing, as this is what I do in my MBZ, and used to do in my Jeep, listen to either FM or Sat and use CarPlay navigation coming in over the radio that you are listening to.

What I believe you need to do (using one of these boxes) to achieve what I am after, and possibly you too, is route the audio from the phone to the PCM over bluetooth, you can't use it in the CarPlay audio mode, as that requires you to use the Aux input, which means you can't listen to the radio as well. But from what I can tell, you can listen to the radio and see the CarPlay screen, it's just that when Waze talks, I am not sure how the sound gets routed
This is how I have it set up today, without CarPlay, just with my phone sitting in a phone holder next to the PCM screen, the downside is that when I receive directions from my phone, the radio is interrupted, whereas with a true CarPlay solution the radio gets quiet, and the navigation overlays it.

If I am wrong with this, I would love for someone to let me know, as 9xxresearch is just down the road from me, and it's just this configuration that is holding me back (and the CPO warranty).

Last edited by will_atl; 06-14-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:54 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by konkab
Hey everyone, I'm happy to share a new firmware update for Joyeauto owners.

The update drastically improves smoothness of CarPlay experience by 2x and activates 60 frame per second capability instead of previous 30 FPS. It makes CarPlay much more responsive.

It's based on the latest original Joyeauto firmware from 2021-03-26 and includes all my previous fixes. I flashed the firmware on my unit, tested it and can confirm it works fine.

2021-5-10.custom.v2:
- Enables 60 FPS CarPlay capability

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yd4b7f2k3...BOOOT.BIN?dl=0

CarPlay Software Update Instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9MBc7FQVCA

Use at your own risk.

After firmware upgrade your settings will be reset to default. To restore your settings, you'll need to:
1. Go to Settings -> Carplay -> Enter 1123 -> Select Porsche
2. Go to Settings -> Smartphone -> Reboot
3. Setup wireless CarPlay again.
4. Restore other settings like EQ, Display, etc.
@konkab thank you again!

What build numbers should the system and UI version be after upgrade? Looks like mine moved to one dated Jan 21, 2021. Wasn’t sure if should be in March 2021 per your mention of the new official firmware. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:45 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Installed my Joyeauto module this morning. After some initial consternation with the ribbon connecting to the display, I am now able to get video and audio out of the PCM like normal, but carplay does not show up. Nav button just goes to nav screen, long press does nothing. My phone sees the Joyeauto bluetooth and wifi but the software does not show up on screen. Has anyone run into this issue during their install?
Old 06-20-2021, 07:28 PM
lmaisour
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone, i ordered this unit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...37ac4c4dADJNEe

thinking it was the joyeauto but i guess it's a different company?

I tried following the instructions and videos posted in this thread but I think the carplay module i received is different from the rest.

I believe most have this one:

whereas I got this one:

even the installation instructions they sent me has the other module:

can anybody share how they were able to get this one running? Or did they just send me the wrong thing
Old 06-20-2021, 10:48 PM
lmaisour
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok spoke with the seller and they updated the module. There's a change in the AUX outlet as it's now in the port. Got it working!
Old 06-21-2021, 02:36 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Finally got my Joyeauto unit installed and functioning properly. Some troubleshooting items for those that run across this later:

- Upon initial install I wasn’t getting any carplay video onto the screen, PCM was working normally. I disassembled the unit again and the LVDS cable had pulled loose. When you’re fishing the cable down to the footwell or wherever you’re keeping the box, make sure you fish it delicately and don’t pull taut so that this small clip doesn’t pull loose.

- Upon 2nd install I had weird coloring all over the screen (mostly red hue over everything). This was reported by another user in here as well. After some back and forth with joyeauto, I disassembled the PCM again, pulled all of the ribbons out except for the CD ribbon, and carefully reseated each one. I used the flat side of a chisel to press the lock from the middle rather than the ends as others here suggested. This seemed to do the trick. Much firmer connection to the ribbons. It fired up just fine after this.

Had to get it back into drivable shape for my wife for tomorrow but will play around a little bit with the settings to get it properly configured. Our car has burmester, I can definitely tell a degradation in sound quality (more noise) with this unit, but its not a dealbreaker… yet. Other thing I need to trouble shoot is the PDC which does not pop onto the screen automatically if I’m parking (the car still beeps). Not sure if this is a limitation of it or not, I think I saw somebody post about it in this thread but its such a beast it will take me a good 45 mins to track down.

Will install the Konkab firmware later this week for 60fps bliss. Can’t wait!
Old 06-23-2021, 06:24 AM
marcus_v
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by konkab
Hey everyone, I'm happy to share a new firmware update for Joyeauto owners.

The update drastically improves smoothness of CarPlay experience by 2x and activates 60 frame per second capability instead of previous 30 FPS. It makes CarPlay much more responsive.

It's based on the latest original Joyeauto firmware from 2021-03-26 and includes all my previous fixes.
Thank you for this update! During installation I ran into issues as my PCM screen seemed to freeze when the „Burn success“ screen appeared.

So, everything went smooth at first - my USB stick and the installation file was recognized, updating was successful and then burn success appeared. I switched ignition off, locked the car and came back 10 minutes later. After switching my car on, the screen still showed „Burn success“. So I can‘t open the setup screen anymore.

Who can help?

Thanks, Marcus
Old 06-23-2021, 07:45 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus_v
Thank you for this update! During installation I ran into issues as my PCM screen seemed to freeze when the „Burn success“ screen appeared.

So, everything went smooth at first - my USB stick and the installation file was recognized, updating was successful and then burn success appeared. I switched ignition off, locked the car and came back 10 minutes later. After switching my car on, the screen still showed „Burn success“. So I can‘t open the setup screen anymore.

Who can help?

Thanks, Marcus
The screen freezes after burn success till you restart the carplay unit. Some fuse points shut down right away on turning off the ignition and others stay on.. atleast for a while. Looks like you used the latter, so the easy way is to pull the fuse you tapped for carplay and plug it back in...
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 08:23 AM
marcus_v
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kari
The screen freezes after burn success till you restart the carplay unit. Some fuse points shut down right away on turning off the ignition and others stay on.. atleast for a while. Looks like you used the latter, so the easy way is to pull the fuse you tapped for carplay and plug it back in...
Thank you! You were right! I switched to another fuse point and now Carplay starts again - but obviously I am back in my old version instead if the new one… I‘ll try to upgrade later again - at least now I know why the screen was freezing.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:49 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus_v
Thank you! You were right! I switched to another fuse point and now Carplay starts again - but obviously I am back in my old version instead if the new one… I‘ll try to upgrade later again - at least now I know why the screen was freezing.
If you got the burn success message, then most likely the update went fine. If you are already on the latest version before using this customized firmware, I don't think you will see any change to version numbers...

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )