Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020 | 10:54 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike DeStefano
I just installed the new update. I’m curious to know if you’ve saw improvements after you performed yours. Without too much time with it it did connect faster - especially after short stops. BUT it did disconnect in mid drive.
I've only made one drive so far but, it definitely did connect quicker than it has lately. There is one area on my commute where the audio always cracks and it still did that but, I don't believe that is software related. There are no bumps in the road or anything so, I'm thinking there is something in the area pumping out RF noise that messes with the unit. Oddly it does not seem to effect the OEM carplay in my wife's car.
Old 05-12-2020 | 07:45 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I've only made one drive so far but, it definitely did connect quicker than it has lately. There is one area on my commute where the audio always cracks and it still did that but, I don't believe that is software related. There are no bumps in the road or anything so, I'm thinking there is something in the area pumping out RF noise that messes with the unit. Oddly it does not seem to effect the OEM carplay in my wife's car.
Cant rule out iOS updates or unit firmware issues but this looks like wifi interference. Unlike the fixed set of bands for mobile phone operators, wifi is pretty unregulated and leads to congestion especially in populated areas. The earlier wifi devices operated on the 2.4GHz band that was prone to microwave towers etc.. and while it has a better range there are a limited number of channels increasing the chance of interference from another device nearby. The newer devices use 5GHz which has a shorter range but enables more channels and less prone to microwave towers but even then there are too many devices from various hardware manufacturers using overlapping sets of channels - so some interference is inevitable. Things like wifi based street cameras or wifi beacons are known to cause interference as their signals are pretty strong drowning other wifi signals in the vicinity.. Carplay units from different hardware manufacturers may not be affected at the same location as the device hardware may be setup to use different channels and the better hardware can mitigate interference to a level by switching channels on detecting interference.. but without wifi hardware test comparisons its difficult to pinpoint which hardware is better in different scenarios...

Easier option is to download a wifi analyzer/monitor app onto your mobile phone or laptop and monitor signal strength and bands of all networks in range. You could do that with both your cars and also at the points where you face wifi issues - could help pinpoint source of disruption and why its affecting one car and not the other. (channels in use likely different)

I just checked the levels of the wifi signal from the joyeauto box (wifi name is something like wifi-ap-xxxx where xxxx are a set of numbers) while in the garage - showed up in the 5GHz spectrum with a signal strength in the -40 to -45 db range - that level is pretty good. But the same analyzer showed the signal spread as a somewhat narrow spike - so the unit seems to have limited channel bandwidth to play with in case of interference....

If the wifi signal from the unit itself is weak, then there could be some other issue like loose wires or antenna cables or an antenna that is dislodged and obstructed by surfaces that are absorbing the signal (Ex Metal, reflective surfaces).
Old 05-12-2020 | 09:58 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Forgive the total noob question... I ordered the kit from NM Automotive and I should receive it end of this week. Do you update that kit the same way as the JoyeAuto kit? Where do you download these updates?
Old 05-12-2020 | 11:38 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Forgive the total noob question... I ordered the kit from NM Automotive and I should receive it end of this week. Do you update that kit the same way as the JoyeAuto kit? Where do you download these updates?
you will not be able to use the Joyeauto updates with the NM unit. Nick from NM should led be able to help with your technical questions once you get it. Make sure you download his install instructions before you start. They are really good but there are several videos floating around which will help you understand the removal, disassembly and board install which will help. I would hope that your new kit should be current for any and all SW updates.
Old 05-13-2020 | 07:56 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by kari
Cant rule out iOS updates or unit firmware issues but this looks like wifi interference. Unlike the fixed set of bands for mobile phone operators, wifi is pretty unregulated and leads to congestion especially in populated areas. The earlier wifi devices operated on the 2.4GHz band that was prone to microwave towers etc.. and while it has a better range there are a limited number of channels increasing the chance of interference from another device nearby. The newer devices use 5GHz which has a shorter range but enables more channels and less prone to microwave towers but even then there are too many devices from various hardware manufacturers using overlapping sets of channels - so some interference is inevitable. Things like wifi based street cameras or wifi beacons are known to cause interference as their signals are pretty strong drowning other wifi signals in the vicinity.. Carplay units from different hardware manufacturers may not be affected at the same location as the device hardware may be setup to use different channels and the better hardware can mitigate interference to a level by switching channels on detecting interference.. but without wifi hardware test comparisons its difficult to pinpoint which hardware is better in different scenarios...

Easier option is to download a wifi analyzer/monitor app onto your mobile phone or laptop and monitor signal strength and bands of all networks in range. You could do that with both your cars and also at the points where you face wifi issues - could help pinpoint source of disruption and why its affecting one car and not the other. (channels in use likely different)

I just checked the levels of the wifi signal from the joyeauto box (wifi name is something like wifi-ap-xxxx where xxxx are a set of numbers) while in the garage - showed up in the 5GHz spectrum with a signal strength in the -40 to -45 db range - that level is pretty good. But the same analyzer showed the signal spread as a somewhat narrow spike - so the unit seems to have limited channel bandwidth to play with in case of interference....

If the wifi signal from the unit itself is weak, then there could be some other issue like loose wires or antenna cables or an antenna that is dislodged and obstructed by surfaces that are absorbing the signal (Ex Metal, reflective surfaces).
That's pretty much what I was thinking but, wasn't bothered enough by it to fire up a spectrum analyzer. The sound cracks twice in the span of about a second in the same spot every time I drive by there. The only thing around is a church which is maybe 75' off the road. I'm guessing it's most likely their PA/audio system and/or wifi that pisses it off due to the units narrow bandwidth and limited ability to channel hop compared to what OEM units likely have. There is also a little wireless device with an antenna mounted to a stop sign nearby (no idea what that is but, see them popping up everywhere on road side signage and they typically don't seem to be an issue) but, that might be the culprit as well. Either way I don't think I have an option for correcting it so, life goes on.

The issues I was having prior to update were not symptomatic of a weak signal. Everything would see each other and connect but, fail to activate carplay and then it would disconnect and repeat like there was a handshake issue or something.
Old 05-16-2020 | 04:08 PM
EscapeFromNYC
Track Day

What was your total cost? Kit and install?
Old 05-16-2020 | 04:11 PM
BOLEN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EscapeFromNYC
What was your total cost? Kit and install?
I got the kit for like $500 - $600 dollars then the install was around the same price so all in you can expect $1,000 - $1,500
You should call the guys at Perzan auto in Philly, they sell these units now, and they have done so many installs the price is probably less. They are practically experts at the whole solution.
Old 05-16-2020 | 05:26 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

^ when you say sell these units, do you mean you may be able to exchange a "core" for an upgraded one?
Old 05-16-2020 | 05:50 PM
BOLEN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kigiin
^ when you say sell these units, do you mean you may be able to exchange a "core" for an upgraded one?
you can buy the apple play kit and they will install it.

theres no “core” to exchange or parts to remove, you are just adding the kit to your existing PCM
Old 05-16-2020 | 06:41 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Got it, I did get this email response from Erik at Perzan Auto in Philly:

Hi Rob, yes, this is one of our more popular solutions and we are getting interest from a lot of customers all over the country. I do not think I know anyone in the Dayton area to recommend but there is a shop in Columbus called Columbus Car Audio that is a good shop with experience in Porsche. I have not dealt with them for a while but they used to buy some wholesale parts from us. Unfortunately, it requires a modification to the PCM to add a board for the CarPlay and the PCM’s are specifically programmed for each vehicle so it’s not something I am able to do an advance exchange on. That being said, we have received a couple radios that have been shipped in to us, I have modified them and returned them to the shop ready to install. So if you had a good car audio shop locally that could remove your PCM but is not comfortable performing the mod, they could ship it to us and we can install the internal board and send it back with the rest of the parts. Besides the board installation, it is a plug and play installation. Let me know how I can help. Thanks, Erik
Old 05-16-2020 | 07:26 PM
EscapeFromNYC
Track Day

https://carplay-technology.myshopify...SABEgKcIPD_BwE

this kit seems much easier to install. no board or chip additions.

also has anyone done CarPlay and added sport chrono clock? Any issues.
Old 05-16-2020 | 07:48 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

https://carplay-technology.myshopify...SABEgKcIPD_BwE

this kit seems much easier to install. no board or chip additions.

also has anyone done CarPlay and added sport chrono clock? Any issues.
This is the same type of kit. You will still need to install the board in the PCM. There is no other way to get CarPlay in these PCMs without adding the board.
Old 05-16-2020 | 09:01 PM
EscapeFromNYC
Track Day

Originally Posted by Boomer80
This is the same type of kit. You will still need to install the board in the PCM. There is no other way to get CarPlay in these PCMs without adding the board.
do any of the USB dongles work? I don’t need my phone to be wirelessly connected.

Honeslty I just want Waze on the screen.
Old 05-16-2020 | 09:03 PM
BOLEN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kigiin
Got it, I did get this email response from Erik at Perzan Auto in Philly:

Hi Rob, yes, this is one of our more popular solutions and we are getting interest from a lot of customers all over the country. I do not think I know anyone in the Dayton area to recommend but there is a shop in Columbus called Columbus Car Audio that is a good shop with experience in Porsche. I have not dealt with them for a while but they used to buy some wholesale parts from us. Unfortunately, it requires a modification to the PCM to add a board for the CarPlay and the PCM’s are specifically programmed for each vehicle so it’s not something I am able to do an advance exchange on. That being said, we have received a couple radios that have been shipped in to us, I have modified them and returned them to the shop ready to install. So if you had a good car audio shop locally that could remove your PCM but is not comfortable performing the mod, they could ship it to us and we can install the internal board and send it back with the rest of the parts. Besides the board installation, it is a plug and play installation. Let me know how I can help. Thanks, Erik
100% trust what Erik is telling you that guys is smart. IT would be beneficial to ship your unit to him .
Old 05-16-2020 | 11:10 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

do any of the USB dongles work? I don’t need my phone to be wirelessly connected.

Honeslty I just want Waze on the screen.
No. All the answers to your questions can be found within this thread. Wake needs CarPlay to work on the screen.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )