Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021 | 06:57 PM
BW369
Advanced

Originally Posted by Topshelf
Well that was my hope, that everything would just seamlessly stream through CarPlay since it's the only way to have both Waze sounds and music at the same time.

While I was typing this I just locked the Cayenne up via the fob. It's been sitting unused all day in the driveway. Moments later I get a notification it's trying to pair with my phone. So is this thing active when the car is off?

I don't know, not sure why many love it and I'm having nothing but issues.
I think it takes about half an hour for the CarPlay to switch off. It shuts down with the PCM and I believe that’s how the PCM is programmed. Since installing, I have had no issues with any battery drain etc.
Old 10-17-2021 | 06:59 PM
BW369
Advanced

While I wish it was that simple, the phone has been rebooted twice. Sometimes thing work, sometimes they don't. The sound issues are 100% from the Isudar board. Like I said, only thing I can think of is that it needs the firmware updated, but.....
another quick update, I just used my wife’s car to check Wyze in the CarPlay and it doesn’t localize. I do think it’s a problem with how iPhone works and not the Carplay
Old 10-17-2021 | 07:21 PM
Willy07
Racer

I think what happened here is……when you locked it up…….the PCM triggered on as part of normal procedure, so the iSudar board powered up and started doing it’s thing. This can be beneficial for quick connect times on vehicle entry……it remains powered up for some time. I just feel almost 30 mins is too long on ignition off……10-15 ? Selectable maybe ? Wish ? ISudar ?
Old 10-17-2021 | 07:21 PM
Santirx
Racer

Well I'll be honest here, after a week of the wife using Isudar and testing myself for a day, I'm very close to pulling this out and grabbing the NM unit. This thing is just super flakey. Waze opens, but doesn't lock into your gps coordinates until you switch to Google Maps, then switch back. Sometimes that is. SiriusXM doesn't start playing until you open the phone, start a Pandora playlist, then switch to Sirius on the phone. Then it works via the screen. Sometimes that is. Sound output comes 97% from front left speakers and max volume is 50% of PCM volume, so switching back is startling to say the least. Volume controls are frustrating and the one thing I don't need is a headache in the wife's daily driver. I'm going to start seriously looking into the NM unit to see what the issues are compared to Isudar. If it's simply slower response time but things all work correctly, I'll gladly pay the extra money.

My only hope is that the latest firmware fixes some of these issues, but since it refuses to install, I'm pretty much at a loss.
Most of the issues you describe sound like the ones everyone is having with the iOS15 upgrade, which broke a lot of things for CarPlay. Did you upgraded to iOS 15.0?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...022&login=true

I experienced the same issue you are describing with Waze from time to time, and it is not unique to Isudar. I experienced the same issue with Joye as well.

There is really no perfect aftermarket solution... the only issue I experienced with Isudar in all honesty are the 3 issues I described before (which are annoyances/inconveniences). Joye had its own set of issues.

The volume issue at 50%, is more like 75%, and is a function of AUX. If you play AUX without the Isudar, it will play at that same lower volume. Audio through optical MOST wire is more clear and louder.

Not sure what would be the issue of balance... but did you check the PCM AUX balance?

Last edited by Santirx; 10-17-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2021 | 07:33 PM
UH2
Instructor

I hope you all get these issues sorted. If anything, this thread and others..and Isudar support, have made me stick to NM Auto for my next purchase.
Old 10-17-2021 | 07:33 PM
Willy07
Racer

I agree with @Santrix, make sure your are on ios 15.02, and updated Apps.
On the balance…..go to audio, make sure that is on Standard EQ as well as checking the balance controls for AUX like @Santrix said,
Old 10-17-2021 | 08:03 PM
Topshelf
Racer

OK, finally got the 0902 firmware update to go through. Not sure what the issue was previously, but new usb stick, new download, same procedure and it worked. That "seems" to have sorted out some of the issues from a quick test.
Sirius is now streaming smoothly and sound is coming from all 4 corners of the car. Waze still refuses to lock in, but it seems starting google maps then switching back fixes it, so not sure if that's on Waze? But a simple enough workaround for now. Volume between PCM and AUX is now equal as well, so I'm seriously thinking either the old firmware was jacked up, or the failed attempts made something wonky. At this point my main issue is a horrible echo doubling back to a caller when using the phone, but I'll trying unplugging the included mic this week to see if that fixes it as it seems to be using the oem mic anyway. Even disabling oem mic in settings doesn't change that, so yeah, I don't know. But we're making progress. Thanks all for the assistance.
Old 10-17-2021 | 08:12 PM
Willy07
Racer

Hey great !
Remember……the CP is just an extension of your iPhone……..whatever Waze is doing …..it’s the phone doing it ….not the dumb CP slave display.

I have OEM microphone in my Macan, I did NOT connect they supplied Mic. , and it works perfectly.
Old 10-17-2021 | 08:15 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by Willy07
Hey great !
Remember……the CP is just an extension of your iPhone……..whatever Waze is doing …..it’s the phone doing it ….not the dumb CP slave display.

I have OEM microphone in my Macan, I did NOT connect they supplied Mic. , and it works perfectly.
I'm an Android guy, so I don't even understand what the iPhone is doing. lol But yeah, I'll keep that in mind. I mean ideally she shouldn't have to touch or look at the phone at this point once entering the car. At least that's my hope.

Yeah, I debated connecting it and wish I didn't. No biggie, takes less than 3 minutes to pull 2 vents and 4 screws at this point.
Old 10-17-2021 | 08:21 PM
Santirx
Racer

OK, finally got the 0902 firmware update to go through. Not sure what the issue was previously, but new usb stick, new download, same procedure and it worked. That "seems" to have sorted out some of the issues from a quick test.
Sirius is now streaming smoothly and sound is coming from all 4 corners of the car. Waze still refuses to lock in, but it seems starting google maps then switching back fixes it, so not sure if that's on Waze? But a simple enough workaround for now. Volume between PCM and AUX is now equal as well, so I'm seriously thinking either the old firmware was jacked up, or the failed attempts made something wonky. At this point my main issue is a horrible echo doubling back to a caller when using the phone, but I'll trying unplugging the included mic this week to see if that fixes it as it seems to be using the oem mic anyway. Even disabling oem mic in settings doesn't change that, so yeah, I don't know. But we're making progress. Thanks all for the assistance.
If you go to settings, there is an option now in 902 for echo cancellation in the audio setting. You can run it and see if that helps with the echo.
Old 10-17-2021 | 08:38 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by Santirx
If you go to settings, there is an option now in 902 for echo cancellation in the audio setting. You can run it and see if that helps with the echo.
Thanks, just tried it, no change. I'll unplug the mic Tuesday. It's volume related though as the lower the caller volume, the less chance of echo. Just strange though as the plug in mic doesn't seem to be doing anything, so once again, I have no idea.
Old 10-18-2021 | 03:34 AM
Korsar
3rd Gear

Does anybody have the instruction of Isudar firmware updating? Which USB I have to use?
Old 10-18-2021 | 04:53 AM
nairpic20
7th Gear

I'm using Joye's hardware since 2019.What I don't like:
- no option to add external gps antenna to the extra box so you depend a lot on your phone and where you keep it
- audio quality, it's room to be improved
- the lack of management for when you cut the power, something like in the thinkware dash cams... you don't have to cut the power permanently to turn it off, you can just let the device know that the engine is off and offer some customisable time before the hardware turns off...because of this, I end up many times with a black screen...yep, there are mods that you can add related to power, but I'm focusing on something that could have been already integrated in the hardware
- bad microphone

What I like:
- feels like an OE solution and no issues with the unit in almost 3y and this says a lot

So I would choose a different unit if that vendor can provide:
- connection of external gps antenna, in this way I can keep my phone in the pocket in the city and have a good signal without confusing my location
- a better power management system, that can differentiate between turning on and off the engine while the added unit is still powered

So if you know a unit that can, at least, offer the external gps connection let me know

Old 10-18-2021 | 10:01 AM
Daluv_
Advanced

Hi,

for the isudar unit (SKU: CP31DCBSJ8013WP3) , anyone can confirm that wireless android auto is working?

thanx

Mart
Old 10-18-2021 | 10:22 AM
dbhajek
Rennlist Member

Well I'll be honest here, after a week of the wife using Isudar and testing myself for a day, I'm very close to pulling this out and grabbing the NM unit. This thing is just super flakey. Waze opens, but doesn't lock into your gps coordinates until you switch to Google Maps, then switch back. Sometimes that is. SiriusXM doesn't start playing until you open the phone, start a Pandora playlist, then switch to Sirius on the phone. Then it works via the screen. Sometimes that is. Sound output comes 97% from front left speakers and max volume is 50% of PCM volume, so switching back is startling to say the least. Volume controls are frustrating and the one thing I don't need is a headache in the wife's daily driver. I'm going to start seriously looking into the NM unit to see what the issues are compared to Isudar. If it's simply slower response time but things all work correctly, I'll gladly pay the extra money.

My only hope is that the latest firmware fixes some of these issues, but since it refuses to install, I'm pretty much at a loss.
I have the same issue with waze even in my factory VW CarPlay. Everything, except the sound issues, I don’t think its the Isudars issue.

Bud

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )