Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:08 PM
Scott C
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HI All -

As an FYI I had the LSAILT implementation and have just replaced it with the 10.4" Tesla style screen that MayorMcCheese is demoing in his thread. I sent him a PM on a different board asking for a bit of help, but I thought I'd also post my issues/questions here, since I found this forum searching for answers.

As he notes in his thread, the actual installation is a breeze. Pull the PCM (and in my case, the lsailt I had installed behind it) then pretty much plug-and-play with the new unit. Mine didn't come with ANY instructions (or the sweet wiring diagram that the Lsailt came with), but I was able to get it up and running.

#1. The "Car Info" display is all in metric / military time / ºC and I can't figure out how to reconfigure it. I've found that in "Advanced" 123456 and 456789 both get me in to other menus, but not the one to configure for locale. I'm assuming there are other codes or a menu I'm missing. If anyone has an installer guide, or has figured out other codes, I'd love to hear about them.

#2. I've got the thing installed, but every time I start the ignition, android restarts. it also shuts off when I exit the car. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need to line in one of the adapter's wires in to an "always on" fuse to get it to not do that. (This is what I had to do for the Lsailt system I'm replacing, so I'm assuming it's something like that.) . Until then, it's a serious PITA.

#3. I tend to use Google Play Music, but for whatever reason, it can't see the 32GB of ROM storage (it only sees 2GB, which I believe is the RAM) so I can't d/l music to cache, and when GPM is running, Waze slows way down. They have "Storage" disabled in Android settings so I can't just go look, but I'm certain it's a config thing. Oddly, ES File Explorer can see it fine. This is a huge problem, and one I'll be working on until it's solved. I like to DL music on my home wifi, so I don't have to rely on a phone signal for streaming (which is spotty in the desert driving Vegas--LAX--Vegas. I drive that route a lot).

#4. They've got the display in some giant display mode... possibly in Accessibility settings. This isn't a major deal, but it is a bit annoying that on a decent display everything is HUGE. The bottom Waze banner is particularly annoyingly large. They have Accessibility settings and Display settings disabled at the Android Settings Level. This might mean I need to root it and get in there.

#5 - This is a one-off and not a huge deal, but the on-dash compass shows the directional º fine, but 0m altitude. I can't figure out how to get ALT back on the display... and I'm sure it switched to M instead of Feet b/c the headunit isn't in American (see above).

Anyhow - I just got it installed yesterday, if anyone has any answers (or Q's about this, or the lsailt (which I had for years) please feel free to ask - I'll do my best to answer, and will post here if I figure anything else out about the tesla-style head unit.

-S
Old 07-27-2019, 12:35 PM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

^^ Very helpful Scott, do keep us posted. I've been eyeing this unit myself, but will stay away for the time being.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:19 AM
Mickey_Nygaard
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys.
Excellent thread, really cool to see so many experiences with the installation and system itself.
Besides price and perhaps quality, anyone know what the difference between NN Automotive and JoyeAuto systems are?
Does the built-in 360 backup camera automatically enable/disable as usual with both systems? As in, if I start up the car, change to CarPlay and then go into reverse, is the backup camera then shown and automatically returned to the CarPlay screen when the backup cam normally would disable again?

Does both systems require a new microphone installed or can the built-in be used ? I prefer the installation to be as clean as possible and would hate a visible microphone...
Other pros/cons for both systems that are to be listed?
Anything else to be aware of prior to ordering either system?

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickey_Nygaard
Hi guys.
Excellent thread, really cool to see so many experiences with the installation and system itself.
Besides price and perhaps quality, anyone know what the difference between NN Automotive and JoyeAuto systems are?
Does the built-in 360 backup camera automatically enable/disable as usual with both systems? As in, if I start up the car, change to CarPlay and then go into reverse, is the backup camera then shown and automatically returned to the CarPlay screen when the backup cam normally would disable again?

Does both systems require a new microphone installed or can the built-in be used ? I prefer the installation to be as clean as possible and would hate a visible microphone...
Other pros/cons for both systems that are to be listed?
Anything else to be aware of prior to ordering either system?

Thanks everyone.
NM is only wired, while on the Joyeauto you can choose to connect wirelessly.
In Carplay mode my 360 camera automatically enables when i go into reverse, then back to CarPlay screen when in Drive.,
I installed the microphone hidden in the steering column but note that on this system you will have 02 BT networks avaliable, you will use the original microphone if PCM Bluetooth is selected while on CarPlay mode. I prefer the PCM BT since the sound quality is a bit better and I can still see my music tracks in the secondary dash display.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Mickey_Nygaard
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Galion
NM is only wired, while on the Joyeauto you can choose to connect wirelessly.
In Carplay mode my 360 camera automatically enables when i go into reverse, then back to CarPlay screen when in Drive.,
I installed the microphone hidden in the steering column but note that on this system you will have 02 BT networks avaliable, you will use the original microphone if PCM Bluetooth is selected while on CarPlay mode. I prefer the PCM BT since the sound quality is a bit better and I can still see my music tracks in the secondary dash display.
Thank you for your reply Galion, really appreciate it.
Good news about the 360 camera.
Just to be clear, I could still use the PCM BT to make phonecalls but then I wouldn't be able to use Siri for instance, right? I think I would go ahead with the microphone installation nonetheless then, perhaps in the same location as the factory one or even the same place you placed yours.

Even tho you're using wireless CarPlay, have you still made preparations for cabled USB as well ?

Anything else I should be aware of? I'm pretty hooked on this being as "like-factory-built" as possible

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2019, 11:26 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickey_Nygaard
Thank you for your reply Galion, really appreciate it.
Good news about the 360 camera.
Just to be clear, I could still use the PCM BT to make phonecalls but then I wouldn't be able to use Siri for instance, right? I think I would go ahead with the microphone installation nonetheless then, perhaps in the same location as the factory one or even the same place you placed yours.

Even tho you're using wireless CarPlay, have you still made preparations for cabled USB as well ?

Anything else I should be aware of? I'm pretty hooked on this being as "like-factory-built" as possible

Thanks!
Dont ask me how, but I can use Siri (hey Siri, Whatsup) on CarPlay mode while connected to the PCM Bluetooth.
I installed the supplied USB port inside the glovebox with a $7 extension from Amazon although I never use it. See my post #42, looks OE.
The Joyeauto system updated the old PCM 3.1 of my beloved 2014 GTS, it works better than my wife’s GLE400 OE CarPlay and I have no problems whatsoever, I couldn’t be happier. Just note that some people did encounter some issues (on this thread) so I can’t vouch for it 100%.

Last edited by Galion; 07-30-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:52 PM
2012Cayenne
2nd Gear

Has anyone tested the NM Automotive retrofit with the BETA IOS 13 Carplay?
Old 08-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m using the joyeauto version with the beta of iOS 13, working pretty well but Siri isn’t working as well in this beta. It’s awesome how CarPlay basically mirrors your current phone iOS
Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Turbokit
AutoX

Scott C

I am sorry to came late to this thread. I installed one of this units about six months back. And after 1 month testing it , I get back to OEM. This units are plagued with issues.

#1 No way to change the units. I tried everything , I contacted them and they told me that you need to buy a different unit to be able to get imperial units
#2 It is not . Sometimes restart , sometimes stay on randomly
#3 The advertising the unit with 2MB ram, but in reality is only 1MB

You are just at the beginning of the problem, you would probably has also problems with the System sound, backup camera, some android apps....
My advice try to return it.

Regards
Old 08-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Scott C
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbokit
Scott C

I am sorry to came late to this thread. I installed one of this units about six months back. And after 1 month testing it , I get back to OEM. This units are plagued with issues.

#1 No way to change the units. I tried everything , I contacted them and they told me that you need to buy a different unit to be able to get imperial units
#2 It is not . Sometimes restart , sometimes stay on randomly
#3 The advertising the unit with 2MB ram, but in reality is only 1MB

You are just at the beginning of the problem, you would probably has also problems with the System sound, backup camera, some android apps....
My advice try to return it.

Regards
Turbokit,

I actually got some advice from some installers in Australia regarding #2 (last night).

He said (quoting) "make sure you have active power to B+ & you can set power down time " That's the solve to the reboot-android-on-start problem. The only trouble is, there isn't a wire clearly marked "B+" . I think it's the yellow one coming out of the main harness, but before I cut it and tap it into a fuse, I'm trying to hunt more on the internet.

I'm actually having quite a bit of luck with it. Waze, and the backup camera, are sometimes jittery, but Force-Stop, restart on Waze clears it up easily. Back up camera hasn't been an issue at all.

Pretty sure it has 2GB ram, which still isn't enough - but I'll check that in a second.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Turbokit
AutoX

On the system screen you will see 2MB , but it is not true.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Flexxxx
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All: I just installed the Joyeauto wireless carplay unit. Because I relied on this forum so much in the research process, I thought I'd share my experience here so others may also benefit. Apologies if some of this is repetitive from other posts in this thread.
  1. I had the unit professionally installed in a 2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo Executive with the Burmester audio option. Showtime Audio in Chicago did a superb job at an insanely reasonable price (I have absolutely no connection to this shop).
  2. I have satellite radio and kept that board in the PCM unit. Thanks to this forum, I knew to provide the shop with the right standoff spacer screws so the Joyeauto unit could be installed above the satellite board.
  3. The unit works as advertised -- with a few quirks that I can live with, but were not immediately obvious to me during my research. The good news is the wireless carplay connection is very quick and ready for use within about 5 to 10 seconds after ignition (I haven't timed it, but I know for sure it is 3 to 4 times quicker than the standard PCM bluetooth connection). And if carplay was being used when the car was turned off, you do not need to press any buttons to get carplay to display again when the car is started. I was pleasantly surprised by this.
  4. Now for the quirks. SImply selecting any carplay option or icon on the PCM screen works virtually flawlessly. But the PCM touchscreen is not designed for multitouch input or even scrolling. Multitouch does not work at all. Scrolling up or down (through playlists or songs for example) is sort of possible, but not consistent. Unfortunately, if scrolling is necessary, it is much easier to use the phone for that.
  5. I am a little disappointed in the quality of the sound through Joyeauto's carplay unit (which connects to the aux input). It is not bad, but it is definitely not identical to the sound through PCMs bluetooth input. I have managed to get the Joyeauto unit to sound alot better by adjusting the sound settings, but it is not perfect. Yes, you can use PCMs standard bluetooth connection and still see carplay on the screen (and you have no sound degradation doing so). The only drawback to that option is you cannot hear turn-by-turn directions if you are listening to sound through the PCM bluetooth connection. Bummer.
  6. I have surround view cameras on the Panamera. In addition to rearview cameras, the system automatically detects when I am parking and turns on the front or back cameras if necessary. With the Joyeauto unit, the OEM backup camera works when the car is put in reverse. No prob there. But if carplay is being displayed on the screen, the screen does not change to display camera views other than when the car is put in reverse. If you change the screen off of carplay (i.e., to PCMs standard Tuner screen), all cameras display properly.
  7. Various Joyeauto settings can be accessed through the Porsche icon (nice touch) on the carplay screen. It is immediately obvious Joyeauto is using Android as its operating system to pull it all together.
  8. Accessing Siri is slow or delayed but works. Not sure if this is a Joyeauto issue though.
Would I buy and install it again? Yes. And I'm happy to answer any questions.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:09 PM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flexxxx
  1. I have satellite radio and kept that board in the PCM unit. Thanks to this forum, I knew to provide the shop with the right standoff spacer screws so the Joyeauto unit could be installed above the satellite board.
would you mind sharing a link to the stand-off spacers/screws you ordered?

Thanks for the insight/feedback- my unit arrives this week
Old 08-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Flexxxx
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a set of M2.5 and M3 spacers from Amazon -- since people had used both in the threads I reviewed. The installers used the M2.5 spacers in my car. Links below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DJKBNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DJKBNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW4A34E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW4A34E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-05-2019, 02:01 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Flexxxx
All: I just installed the Joyeauto wireless carplay unit. Because I relied on this forum so much in the research process, I thought I'd share my experience here so others may also benefit. Apologies if some of this is repetitive from other posts in this thread.
  1. I had the unit professionally installed in a 2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo Executive with the Burmester audio option. Showtime Audio in Chicago did a superb job at an insanely reasonable price (I have absolutely no connection to this shop).
  2. I have satellite radio and kept that board in the PCM unit. Thanks to this forum, I knew to provide the shop with the right standoff spacer screws so the Joyeauto unit could be installed above the satellite board.
  3. The unit works as advertised -- with a few quirks that I can live with, but were not immediately obvious to me during my research. The good news is the wireless carplay connection is very quick and ready for use within about 5 to 10 seconds after ignition (I haven't timed it, but I know for sure it is 3 to 4 times quicker than the standard PCM bluetooth connection). And if carplay was being used when the car was turned off, you do not need to press any buttons to get carplay to display again when the car is started. I was pleasantly surprised by this.
  4. Now for the quirks. SImply selecting any carplay option or icon on the PCM screen works virtually flawlessly. But the PCM touchscreen is not designed for multitouch input or even scrolling. Multitouch does not work at all. Scrolling up or down (through playlists or songs for example) is sort of possible, but not consistent. Unfortunately, if scrolling is necessary, it is much easier to use the phone for that.
  5. I am a little disappointed in the quality of the sound through Joyeauto's carplay unit (which connects to the aux input). It is not bad, but it is definitely not identical to the sound through PCMs bluetooth input. I have managed to get the Joyeauto unit to sound alot better by adjusting the sound settings, but it is not perfect. Yes, you can use PCMs standard bluetooth connection and still see carplay on the screen (and you have no sound degradation doing so). The only drawback to that option is you cannot hear turn-by-turn directions if you are listening to sound through the PCM bluetooth connection. Bummer.
  6. I have surround view cameras on the Panamera. In addition to rearview cameras, the system automatically detects when I am parking and turns on the front or back cameras if necessary. With the Joyeauto unit, the OEM backup camera works when the car is put in reverse. No prob there. But if carplay is being displayed on the screen, the screen does not change to display camera views other than when the car is put in reverse. If you change the screen off of carplay (i.e., to PCMs standard Tuner screen), all cameras display properly.
  7. Various Joyeauto settings can be accessed through the Porsche icon (nice touch) on the carplay screen. It is immediately obvious Joyeauto is using Android as its operating system to pull it all together.
  8. Accessing Siri is slow or delayed but works. Not sure if this is a Joyeauto issue though.
So, you're saying i can still play Sirius-XM on PCM while having a view of the carplay at the same time? That is exactly what i wanted since i really only need to see the WazeApp on the phone but I don't want to be playing satelite from the phone since it kills the data usage.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )