Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I swear my car sounds better using the JoyeAuto kit. I wasn't impressed with the Bose and bluetooth before.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:44 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
I swear my car sounds better using the JoyeAuto kit. I wasn't impressed with the Bose and bluetooth before.
I never play audio off my phone, but i find this hard to believe.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
I never play audio off my phone, but i find this hard to believe.
It should be possible as wireless Carplay from my understanding is only using a Bluetooth connection to then establish a wifi connection, Airplay'ing audio via wifi has no compression where bluetooth is compressed pretty heavily.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 PM
Flexxxx
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
It should be possible as wireless Carplay from my understanding is only using a Bluetooth connection to then establish a wifi connection, Airplay'ing audio via wifi has no compression where bluetooth is compressed pretty heavily.
Think of it this way — the Joyeauto unit receives the audio wirelessly with little compression, but then uses its internal DAC to output that signal over the analog auxiliary connection. This is why the output is worse (to my ears) than the standard PCM Bluetooth connection.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 PM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flexxxx
I purchased a set of M2.5 and M3 spacers from Amazon -- since people had used both in the threads I reviewed. The installers used the M2.5 spacers in my car. Links below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Any chance you could share a pic of how you installed the board without it clashing with the Sirius/Xm board?

I ordered both those those amazon kits & can’t figure out how anyone can get everything to fit... the coaxial plug on the XM card seems to sit too high for the carplay board to go above it.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Flexxxx
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
Any chance you could share a pic of how you installed the board without it clashing with the Sirius/Xm board?

I ordered both those those amazon kits & can’t figure out how anyone can get everything to fit... the coaxial plug on the XM card seems to sit too high for the carplay board to go above it.
I did not take any pics. But the installers managed to get it all in there (maybe by stacking the standoff spacers).
Old 08-06-2019, 05:44 PM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have pictures of installing the pc board while keeping the XM board in place?

Thanks,
Old 08-06-2019, 07:13 PM
bpcmd
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks awesome! I was actually considering trading in my 2013 Cayenne S. I recently took it in for service, and I got a 2019 S. I was so disappointed. The V6 turbo seemed to take about 2 seconds to really spool up, unlike my car where you step on the gas and it goes. (tiptronic trans here).

The other thing that bothered me was the Bose sound system. My car sounds like a concert hall, but this 2019 sounded like my wife's BMW stock radio.

Now that you were nice enough to share this, I have some decisions to make! Plus I'm just across the bridge from you.
The following users liked this post:
boxsternewbie (08-30-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:16 PM
Flexxxx
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
So, you're saying i can still play Sirius-XM on PCM while having a view of the carplay at the same time? That is exactly what i wanted since i really only need to see the WazeApp on the phone but I don't want to be playing satelite from the phone since it kills the data usage.
Yes.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
Does anyone have pictures of installing the pc board while keeping the XM board in place?

Thanks,
I didn't take any photos, but I removed the plastic "casing" from the SAT board connector, that gave it enough clearance fit and close back up.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flexxxx
Think of it this way — the Joyeauto unit receives the audio wirelessly with little compression, but then uses its internal DAC to output that signal over the analog auxiliary connection. This is why the output is worse (to my ears) than the standard PCM Bluetooth connection.
It's possible the "new" factor of CarPlay in my car is tricking my ears, and I'm not a audio expert, but I do have nice B+W speakers in my living room; but I swear it sounds better in my setup!

My thinking is almost any cheap DAC should sound better than bluetooth compression, the DAC in an Apple Airport express that's 10 years old for example blows away BT audio...

just my 2cents and wishful thinking....
Old 08-08-2019, 08:01 PM
Matador1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this has worked out very well for many of you but when my unit didn't work after repeatedly trying to and checking all of the ribbon cables. Now I am trying without any success to get my money back but I keep getting the run around. It cost me $132. to ship the unit back to Hong Kong. All I can say is I hope none of you have any issues because if you do, you are going to have the same issues getting your money as I am. This was from Joyauto and the Alibaba site.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:41 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been following this thread forever. I am concerned about problems noted above. My simple question, What year did CarPlay become an option and can that unit be swapped with an older (2015) PCM?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:58 PM
nauti1us
Track Day

Originally Posted by Matador1
I know this has worked out very well for many of you but when my unit didn't work after repeatedly trying to and checking all of the ribbon cables. Now I am trying without any success to get my money back but I keep getting the run around. It cost me $132. to ship the unit back to Hong Kong. All I can say is I hope none of you have any issues because if you do, you are going to have the same issues getting your money as I am. This was from Joyauto and the Alibaba site.
I bought one and couldn't get any audio out and the radio was dead - unable to get a refund, so I have it sat on a shelf.... I guess these are the risks you take.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

China stuff definitely a risk. It's not all junk - but when the stuff fails, you might be stuck.

Did you pay with PayPal?

I bought a PIWIS from China. First one didn't work. I'm not an a$$hole, I gave them a chance to make it right (including shipping a piece back to China at my expense) for over a month. But they dragged their feet and gave me a lot of runaround until I finally had enough and threatened to have PayPal give me a complete refund. THEN I got instant action, with a new replacement unit shipped out the next day. Not sure about the vendor you dealt with - but the one I used, they were clearly very aware of the fact that PayPal almost always sides with the purchaser.

Also - protip: if/when you DO send something BACK... insist on using DHL, UPS, etc. My guys gave me a sob story about taxes, etc. and asked to send it regular USPS. China received it, then refused it because they didn't believe the description on the bill (which was verbatim what they told me to put on there.) It sat in China for WEEKS before it made it's way back to me as they "return to sender" it (by that point they'd already sent me an entirely new unit). Had I sent it DHL, UPS, etc. it likely wouldn't have been a hassle.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )