ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Replaced rear wiper motor on the 2013 diesel

Old 08-13-2023, 10:15 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

@ecostellodo That is a pretty crusty looking mechanism, I can see why a replacement was needed. My dealer said I need a new rear wiper motor but I thought the cost was insane so I plan on doing it myself. Symptom is that my wiper seems to work but when it stops it stops facing straight upwards instead of the normal resting position. I have to play around with it a little more to see if it is something else before I dig into it but how was the process? Need to remove all of the panels inside the hatchback I guess? How long did it take you (so I can budget my normal 3x that time)?
Old 08-13-2023, 10:26 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Replaced rear wiper motor on the 2013 diesel

Looks like it's been sitting on the bottom of the ocean. Give a a shot of wd40. Good as nest.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:06 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

@bobbyp Removing the rear wiper motor is not that hard of a job. You have to know where all the screws are. 2 are behind where the emergency triangle would go, center pocket of the lift gate. Open the carpeted door that is in the center of the gate and there they are. 2 are in the pull down handle on the left (driver) side. and the secret screw no one tells you about that is located inside and behind the passenger lift gate courtesy light. For that one, you have to remove the light cover lens and look inside and up (toward the lift gate). After that just carefully separate the panel from the gate with the plastic trim tools you bought at Harbor Freight and try not to break any clips. Disconnect the electrics and try not to break any of the tabs.

The next difficult thing is removing the wiper arm. Pull the cover off and set it and the spray nozzle in a safe place. The wiper arm is held down by a 13mm screw. Once that is off you will likely need a battery terminal puller to get the wiper arm off. It is held very tightly to the wiper motor arm. The wiper arm is set in place by splines located on the wiper arm and wiper motor. These may have rusted together or in my case, just really pressed together tightly. I couldn't get the wiper arm off manually, hence the puller.

Inside the lift gate, disconnect the spray hose from the wiper motor, push the clip back and pull off the hose. Remove the 10 mm nuts (3 of them) and disconnect the electrical plug. Installation is the reverse.

Before I put the wiper arm back on, I marked the wiper motor shaft at 12 o'clock and ran the wiper motor while someone watched the shaft turn. I wanted to be sure that what I thought was 12 o'clock was. I would hate to put the wiper arm back on and the wiper not operate properly.

Sorry no photographic evidence, but the biggest two obstacles I had was finding the secret screw and removing the wiper arm. The dealer wanted $1,000 to fix this.

Last edited by ecostellodo; 08-14-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:03 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

I'd take an entire can of Silkroil to that. Nice work!
Old 08-14-2023, 11:37 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
@bobbyp Removing the rear wiper motor is not that hard of a job. You have to know where all the screws are. 2 are behind where the emergency triangle would go, center pocket of the lift gate. Open the carpeted door that is in the center of the gate and there they are. 2 are in the pull down handle on the left (driver) side. and the secret screw no one tells you about that is located inside and behind the passenger lift gate courtesy light. For that one, you have to remove the light cover lens and look inside and up (toward the lift gate). After that just carefully separate the panel from the gate with the plastic trim tools you bought at Harbor Freight and try not to break any clips. Disconnect the electrics and try not to break any of the tabs.

The next difficult thing is removing the wiper arm. Pull the cover off and set it and the spray nozzle in a safe place. The wiper arm is held down by a 13mm screw. Once that is off you will likely need a battery terminal puller to get the wiper arm off. It is held very tightly to the wiper motor arm. The wiper arm is set in place by splines located on the wiper arm and wiper motor. These may have rusted together or in my case, just really pressed together tightly. I couldn't get the wiper arm off manually, hence the puller.

Inside the lift gate, disconnect the spray hose from the wiper motor, push the clip back and pull off the hose. Remove the 10 mm nuts (3 of them) and disconnect the electrical plug. Installation is the reverse.

Before I put the wiper arm back on, I marked the wiper motor shaft at 12 o'clock and ran the wiper motor while someone watched the shaft turn. I wanted to be sure that what I thought was 12 o'clock was. I would hate to put the wiper arm back on and the wiper not operate properly.

Sorry no photographic evidence, but the biggest two obstacles I had was finding the secret screw and removing the wiper arm. The dealer wanted $1,000 to fix this.
Very nice. Thanks, I'll probably investigate this weekend.
I don't remember what the dealer wanted but either $1200 or $1400, but all the free water or soft drinks you want.

Old 08-15-2023, 07:37 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Replace the battery in my Cayenne this last weekend. It was date stamped 2017 and OEM brand varta. I'm afraid I broke that streak because I replaced it with a larger type AGM battery which offered slightly better cold cranking amps.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:44 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyp
…dealer wanted but either $1200 or $1400, but all the free water or soft drinks you want.
Don't forget the leather sofas and “eye candy.”
Old 08-15-2023, 07:45 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
Replace the battery in my Cayenne this last weekend. It was date stamped 2017 and OEM brand varta. I'm afraid I broke that streak because I replaced it with a larger type AGM battery which offered slightly better cold cranking amps.
Please let us know, which battery?
Old 08-16-2023, 08:11 AM
pmendoza
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got android auto and voice command installed! YAY!!!
The following users liked this post:
TNelson (08-19-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 12:13 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
Drinking that IPA now.
@lml999 love the shifter! Quick take: Why go with OE vs Ali/EBay on this one? I tend to lean toward OE-everything where possible, but the Ali versions seem to be much-loved here. Both feel a bit too pricey for a shift **** for my liking, but the look/feel really does seem to make a world of difference. Curious if you have any info I don’t in the comparison. Thanks! FR
Old 08-19-2023, 03:15 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sadly nothing fancy, a Diehard AGM battery though I did opt for the larger size due to increased CCA. H9 will fit, single outgassing port, no serial number to register.

Changed they key used in my remote start kit for one that didn't have janky damaged microswitches. Thankfully the one that did fit into the shell of said key and is back to being just that... An key.

Installed the remote trunk closing module which supposedly also allows the windows to be lowered from a distance. Figured out the rear hatch, but could use some guidance on windows go down when you press unlock.
The following users liked this post:
Mirrorslap (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 06:43 PM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

New spark plugs, and coil packs I had help from cinnamon

Last edited by porsches4ed; 08-24-2023 at 06:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by porsches4ed:
AbominableR (01-07-2024), bdronsick (09-02-2023), Dave16 (08-26-2023), jayi836 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 06:58 PM
pmendoza
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmendoza
i got android auto and voice command installed! YAY!!!
So,
Over the past week, I've replaced the dead pedal, and the stock rubber pedal pads to the metal ones, installed LEDs in the low beams, high beams, and Cornering lights.

Also installed the fitcamx and changed a few coding settings with a launch x431 diag v elite

Today will be the side markers and courtesy lights.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:20 PM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Three new TMPS sensors installed (I had the other one done a couple of weeks ago), all four tires balanced and a coolant flush. Also, I installed a brand new washer fluid reservoir lid, why the heck did Porsche make this a degradable part?

All I have left to do on the list, of my new purchase, is:
  • Front and rear diff oil change
  • Power steering fluid flush

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 958 today?