Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What did you do to your 958 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 06:59 AM
Kenrevo
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

It took 2.5-3 hours to remove and ~1.5 to put back minus 4 trim pieces I'll do today once I fix the wiring. Overall it was a lot easier then I thought. I'll post pictures on the finished product today; it's not perfect but the exponential better then want it what and beat paying $1k+ for an 8-10 year old dash shipped.

For reference my car is a "14. with an in service date of 12/2014; my dash I could see about 1/2 of the staples on the drivers side and none on the passenger side but there was a bubble.
Old 07-30-2023, 02:13 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,993 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenrevo
Decided to tackle the lifting leather on the dash this past week. I started trying to recondition the leather on Monday since this week was going to he hot and the oil could bake in; I reapplied the oil each day. I was plaining on re-glueing it in place but that changed and removed the dash panel. It wasn't too bad except the radar detector wiring was poorly done (going to fix it tomorrow) and the PCM shroud was challenging.

Here's the dash out with my helper in the back ground:

I was amazed how much the leather has shrunk; about 3/4 of an inch. I also re-stapled the corners. Here was the set up for glueing the leather.
tell me a DIY for us. 👍🏽
Old 07-30-2023, 03:01 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenrevo
It took 2.5-3 hours to remove and ~1.5 to put back minus 4 trim pieces I'll do today once I fix the wiring. Overall it was a lot easier then I thought. I'll post pictures on the finished product today; it's not perfect but the exponential better then want it what and beat paying $1k+ for an 8-10 year old dash shipped.

For reference my car is a "14. with an in service date of 12/2014; my dash I could see about 1/2 of the staples on the drivers side and none on the passenger side but there was a bubble.
Nice job on the dash. Something I might need to do on mine in the future as I've noticed some slight shrinkage on the driver's side portion.
The following users liked this post:
NN. (07-31-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 04:46 PM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I got my ‘new’ 2012 Cayenne last week, and it has 120,000 miles, so after looking at the recommended service intervals that are due (10k, 20k, 40k & 60k), and realizing there is no service history since 2019, I went to work. (It was taken to the local dealer up to 80k and 2018, but second owner either did DIY, or not much 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Cabin air filter ✅
  • Intake air filter ✅
  • Oil change ✅
  • Spark plugs ✅
  • Brake fluid flush ✅
  • Wow, that all took a while!
  • Coolant flush ❌ I think I’m going to get some else else to do this!
  • A local shop gave it a quick inspection, found a bulb out (license plate) and recommended an oil change, brake fluid and coolant, they said that the belt looks good (due at 60k interval). They can have the coolant flush and also install 3 other TPMS sensors. They did one TPMS yesterday and didn’t expect it to work, but it did, so it’ll go back sometime soon.
I’m waiting on the trailer harness, then I will be ready to install parts to tow (light trailers), but so far loving my new PiG.

Last edited by will_atl; 07-30-2023 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 05:25 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by will_atl
I got my ‘new’ 2012 Cayenne last week, and it has 120,000 miles, so after looking at the recommended service intervals that are due (10k, 20k, 40k & 60k), and realizing there is no service history since 2019, I went to work. (It was taken to the local dealer up to 80k and 2018, but second owner either did DIY, or not much 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Cabin air filter ✅
  • Intake air filter ✅
  • Oil change ✅
  • Spark plugs ✅
  • Brake fluid flush ✅
  • A local shop gave it a quick inspection, found a bulb out (license plate) and recommended an oil change, brake fluid and coolant, they said that the belt looks good (due at 60k interval). They can have the coolant flush and also install 3 other TPMS sensors. They did one TPMS yesterday and didn’t expect it to work, but it did, so it’ll go back sometime soon.
I’m waiting on the trailer harness, then I will be ready to install parts to tow (light trailers), but so far loving my new PiG.
Nice work!
Can I suggest the transfer case, ATF, front and rear diffs too.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:44 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 247 Posts

• Cabin air filter ✅
  • Intake air filter ✅
  • Oil change ✅
  • Spark plugs ✅
  • Brake fluid flush ✅
That's a good start. Maybe power steering and PDCC fluid flush.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:47 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
tell me a DIY for us. 👍🏽
I wonder why some shrink and some don't? Knock on wood, mine hasn't. I am pretty religious about using the sun shade. And I'm cautious about how often I clean the dash as well as what I use.
Old 07-30-2023, 09:01 PM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jayi836
Nice work!
Can I suggest the transfer case, ATF, front and rear diffs too.
Luckily the transfer case was replaced by the selling dealer! More fluids 😢

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
That's a good start. Maybe power steering and PDCC fluid flush.
Question about PDCC, do all Cayennes have it, or is it an option? I don’t see it on my build sheet, and only recall seeing the power steering reservoir today. Porsche recommend a reservoir replacement at 60k.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:16 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Luckily the transfer case was replaced by the selling dealer! More fluids 😢

Question about PDCC, do all Cayennes have it, or is it an option? I don’t see it on my build sheet, and only recall seeing the power steering reservoir today. Porsche recommend a reservoir replacement at 60k.
Correct. The PDCC reservoir is right next to the power steeering reservoir and they are the same. Same part number. They recommend the PDCC reservoir be replaced at 60k. Which doesn't make sense to me, they use the same pump. I replaced both of mine but I won't do it again. I cut mine open and both filters were spotless. Maybe after a catastrophic failure I would recommend new reservoirs but not for maintenance. I do recommend flushing it/them.
Old 07-30-2023, 09:48 PM
Kenrevo
Advanced

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
tell me a DIY for us. 👍🏽
I didn't take any pictures of the process but I can write up the process I did if people want it.

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I wonder why some shrink and some don't? Knock on wood, mine hasn't. I am pretty religious about using the sun shade. And I'm cautious about how often I clean the dash as well as what I use.
It shrinks because the leather dries out. For most it is parking in the sun all day long at work. Using the sun shade or parking in shade will help. I also think conditioning it on a regular basis; it's just like any leather product (shoes, boots, glove, breifcase, etc).
Old 07-30-2023, 10:10 PM
Kenrevo
Advanced

Here are the before and after pictures. The before pictures were from September 2022, and had gotten worse (I could see staples half way down the defroster vent).

After, there is still a bubble on the passenger side near the outer air vent and ripple behind the instrument cluster:

I also found out my chrono gauge has a minute hand (that has failed); I thought it was only had an hour and second...

Old 08-01-2023, 09:04 PM
rmmorton
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayi836
PCM 3.1 gone
no wiring needed.
plug and power up

Rear of PCM all that needed is the FM and factory USB
How easy was this to install? Is there a video on the installation process you used?

Did you wind up sticking with this screen? trying to decide between this and this
Old 08-02-2023, 09:15 AM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Dave - I just pulled out my old Burm center channel in favor of an AudioFrog GS25. Do you want it? No complaints about the speaker, just upgrading components again. PM me.
lml999 (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 10:44 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rmmorton
How easy was this to install? Is there a video on the installation process you used?

Did you wind up sticking with this screen? trying to decide between this and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf_u38rz6_0
rmmorton I kept the 8.4" android screen for my needs. This is all I wanted: a larger screen with no lag and wireless Car Play or AA
ZERO wiring needed plug and play will post a review soon PM if you need something sooner.

Only downside is lose some data on the MFD screen, radio station is there no Maps, or Aux or Aux BT or Phone input information displayed

t.ly/sXJfl I got the 8 core 8GB ram and 128 ROM version if your going to order ask for a $30-$50 discount I have to go back and see what they offered for the next purchase

Last edited by jayi836; 08-02-2023 at 10:49 AM.
rmmorton (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 01:25 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by kvec
Dave - I just pulled out my old Burm center channel in favor of an AudioFrog GS25. Do you want it? No complaints about the speaker, just upgrading components again. PM me.
@Davebrossi Do it!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 958 today?