Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 12:50 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmade992
I performed the stage 2 tune about 20,000 miles ago and I would never be able to drive the car stock again…. Completely gets rid of the delay in the pedal and the power across all bands especially on the highway is noticeable. I’ve towed but towed light so I can’t tell you a good comparison between the two but I highly recommend it!

I also went ahead with the TCU tune and that also changed the dynamics of the car in combination of the tune. I’d also highly recommend that as well!

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-order-it.html
Great to know! Did you do any other mods besides the tune, like delete pipes, etc?
Old 06-15-2023, 08:20 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Nothing! All bone stock for now but I’ll be deleting Egr and DPF in November when my warranty is up.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:37 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmade992
Nothing! All bone stock for now but I’ll be deleting Egr and DPF in November when my warranty is up.
Isn't doing a tune just as big of a concern with warranty? I was planning to wait on all 3.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:55 AM
Gforce1108
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Isn't doing a tune just as big of a concern with warranty? I was planning to wait on all 3.
yes. Even if you revert the tune, it is detectable. Somewhat up to the dealer. Some are mod friendly, others are not. I agree with you - all
or nothing. I waited until just before my warranty expired on my A7 TDI. Bought my CD outside warranty. First problem - tuned and deleted.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:40 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX

Agreed but out of sight out of mind on the tune. I’m not hiding it and leave it on each time I bring it to the dealer but I figured not messing with the plumbing till it’s all over isn’t a bad idea since it’s all still there and stock. Having three Porsches now and being a loyal customer with my dealer over the past decade is helping things out when they overlook certain things.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:04 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I've read through this thread and can't find an answer to a simple question. Will a mild tune, keeping all exhaust components, prevent emissions related error codes, especially the dreaded countdown to no start?
A little background for asking....I tow a travel trailer with my 2016 CD and we are contemplating a cross country trip. I don't want to be stuck somewhere hundreds of miles from a Porsche dealer if I get a CEL with the countdown. My warranty will be up soon, currently at 110,000 miles, and I live in Delaware which requires emission testing on diesels. So I'm looking for a tune that suppresses the emissions related CELs and can be flashed back or sets readiness to pass emissions tests. Increased performance is definitely a plus but not my primary objective.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:58 AM
Gforce1108
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
I've read through this thread and can't find an answer to a simple question. Will a mild tune, keeping all exhaust components, prevent emissions related error codes, especially the dreaded countdown to no start?
A little background for asking....I tow a travel trailer with my 2016 CD and we are contemplating a cross country trip. I don't want to be stuck somewhere hundreds of miles from a Porsche dealer if I get a CEL with the countdown. My warranty will be up soon, currently at 110,000 miles, and I live in Delaware which requires emission testing on diesels. So I'm looking for a tune that suppresses the emissions related CELs and can be flashed back or sets readiness to pass emissions tests. Increased performance is definitely a plus but not my primary objective.
You need a delete tune to get close to what you want. Any emissions intact tune will still have all the issues /faults that a stock tune will, but with more power. Malone will also not fake readiness - others will. But… Malone delete will pass OBDii testing on some cases (obviously not a visual test). My Audi and another both pass in NY as long as the rear O2 sensor is electrically connected (no port in exhaust). Can’t say how it’ll work in other states. There will no no CEL for any of the removed hardware. At some point in the not too distant future - I’ll find out in my CD.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:09 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 307 Posts

Just taking a wild stab at it.
Let's say you tune with DPF, EGR, and AdBlue shut off and drive for 10,000 miles.
Then, you switch back to normal for an inspection.
I bet a CEL would appear on dash because of NO DPF burn in last 10,000 miles.
Or a CEL because AdBlue is clogged or not functional well.
A CEL on your way to the inspection because of some other emission thing. (This would be my luck).

Again, the above is what would happen to me.
Maybe someone with real experience can chime in.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:28 AM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Kbell, do you have to take yours for emissions testing in IL? I've owned mine for ~4 years and haven't gotten a notice. Was considering a tune when my warranty is up, assuming diesels don't test in IL. But if they do, your scenario would definitely be a concern.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:43 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 307 Posts

Illinois tests in 2 areas: Chicago area and down near St Louis on the Illinois side.

They do NOT test Diesels in Illinois.

My gas vehicles get tested every 2 years. Our Cayenne diesel and Audi TDI do NOT get tested.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:22 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Originally Posted by Gforce1108
You need a delete tune to get close to what you want. Any emissions intact tune will still have all the issues /faults that a stock tune will, but with more power. Malone will also not fake readiness - others will. But… Malone delete will pass OBDii testing on some cases (obviously not a visual test). My Audi and another both pass in NY as long as the rear O2 sensor is electrically connected (no port in exhaust). Can’t say how it’ll work in other states. There will no no CEL for any of the removed hardware. At some point in the not too distant future - I’ll find out in my CD.
I haven't been through the Delaware test yet since it's under 7 years old, but I have read that some states allow one or two non-ready results. Perhaps NY is one. Can you suggest a tune that fools readiness and might be more likely to pass the test?
Old 06-29-2023, 12:25 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Originally Posted by KBell
Just taking a wild stab at it.
Let's say you tune with DPF, EGR, and AdBlue shut off and drive for 10,000 miles.
Then, you switch back to normal for an inspection.
I bet a CEL would appear on dash because of NO DPF burn in last 10,000 miles.
Or a CEL because AdBlue is clogged or not functional well.
A CEL on your way to the inspection because of some other emission thing. (This would be my luck).

Again, the above is what would happen to me.
Maybe someone with real experience can chime in.
Yeah, I heard that 'clogging" might be a concern. Since the only thing that really bothers me is the no-start countdown, has anyone figured out a way to defeat or reset that?
Old 06-29-2023, 06:09 PM
Gforce1108
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
I haven't been through the Delaware test yet since it's under 7 years old, but I have read that some states allow one or two non-ready results. Perhaps NY is one. Can you suggest a tune that fools readiness and might be more likely to pass the test?
For gas cars, NY allows one not ready monitor. I’ve been unable to find out what the requirements are for light duty diesels. After it passed, the shop that did it couldn’t believe it passed with 2 not ready.

stevenson is one that fakes readiness but I’ve heard nothing but horror stories. Check MRtuning. I’ve heard much better things in the general TDI community.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:30 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Thanks everyone. I might take the chance on it passing in DE. If it fails, I'll just move back to PA.
Old 07-02-2023, 06:03 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,104 Likes on 969 Posts

While I don’t have a 958, I have a T3 TDI with a Stage 2 tune. Been looking really hard at the Rawtek DPF delete, here’s my dyno pre and post tune. Probably adding a Kerma intake pipe here soon too, I’ll be heading to the Mojave Trail in August.

There’s a dude on the Touareg forums who’s developing an upgraded turbo with ball bearing internals and a kit that allows your to use a CP3 fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?