Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 01:54 AM
Cold-Gas
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It actually does say when you are downloading the tunes. Just easy to overlook it. I know I did

The following users liked this post:
Newegg (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 08:22 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 272 Posts

I've had my tune for a couple years. This was not stated previously.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:15 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

So anyone have tips on unplugging the EGR. It is super tight in there. Having difficulties.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:55 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Got it.

I used this pic. Insert in the slot and pry away from the connection. You will hear a click as the tab releases. Then just pulled up gently. Hope that helps.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Thoughts on the Tune if you have no intentions of deleting any of the DPF equipment? Is it worth it to get the EGR delete tune and unplug the EGR only?

Have 110k and plan on keeping the car a while, but honestly like the cleanliness of the exhaust.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:59 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thoughts on the Tune if you have no intentions of deleting any of the DPF equipment? Is it worth it to get the EGR delete tune and unplug the EGR only?

Have 110k and plan on keeping the car a while, but honestly like the cleanliness of the exhaust.
I kept my car physically stock, and with the tune deleted the SCR, and made the EGR dynamic, keeping the DPF functional. It's an awesome tune.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:57 AM
Cold-Gas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I've had my tune for a couple years. This was not stated previously.
Ya I agree it’s odd. When I first tuned my 2015 they said I didn’t need to unplug it. But after reading this thread I called them and was told …. You don’t need to unplug it, but your EGR will will be working if you don’t. I asked when I first got it and was told I didn’t need to unplug it.
So since it only takes 5 min to unplug it, it’s now unplugged
Old 06-30-2022, 08:01 AM
Cold-Gas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Newegg
So anyone have tips on unplugging the EGR. It is super tight in there. Having difficulties.
You must push down on it to release it. So not just pull on it you will break it.
I used a flat blade screwdriver to push down on the plug, while having a pick hooked on the tab on the side. It will come off easily if done right. If it’s not coming easily you didn’t push down on it hard enough to release it. The I just used the pick to pull it off and tucked it in beside the plug.
You can practice on any of the easily accessible plugs under the hood to get a feel for it. They are all the same way. Push down then pull up.

Last edited by Cold-Gas; 06-30-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:07 AM
Cold-Gas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Yes absolutely worth it IMO. It’s a whole new car with a stage 2 tune. Also the dirty EGR air is the worst thing for your motor. Getting rid of it will save you a ton of maintenance issues and make it last a lot longer IMO. My friend has 518K km / 321K miles on his CD and it’s been deleted since 60K miles and still running well for him. He kept the SCR & DPF until they gave him issues around 200K miles and then deleted them rather than repair.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:07 PM
Dr.Yellowbrid
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tunezilla is having a 10% off sale now.

Is there another option besides Rawtek DPF/SCR/Adblue delete pipes for $878?
Old 06-30-2022, 04:31 PM
Cold-Gas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Yellowbrid
Tunezilla is having a 10% off sale now.

Is there another option besides Rawtek DPF/SCR/Adblue delete pipes for $878?
Not that I am aware of. It’s pricey for sure but at least it’s very good quality.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:59 PM
DarkHorseMC
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmm... I have a Stage 2 tune on my 2015 CD, full CAT/DPF/EGR delete... but now I'm seeing the EGR is still active if plugged in? Was never informed about that 2 years ago when I had the tune installed.

Will I see any performance differences with the EGR physically unplugged? When towing, I've been seeing a tad too high temps in hot weather, wondering if unplugging the EGR will help keep the valve closed and get the exhaust gasses expelled quicker, maybe reducing temps a bit?
Old 07-05-2022, 03:41 PM
DarkHorseMC
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkHorseMC
Hmm... I have a Stage 2 tune on my 2015 CD, full CAT/DPF/EGR delete... but now I'm seeing the EGR is still active if plugged in? Was never informed about that 2 years ago when I had the tune installed.

Will I see any performance differences with the EGR physically unplugged? When towing, I've been seeing a tad too high temps in hot weather, wondering if unplugging the EGR will help keep the valve closed and get the exhaust gasses expelled quicker, maybe reducing temps a bit?
OK, I emailed RawTek Performance (an excellent company, highly recommend!) and they responded, that with my "full delete" tune, no need to unplug the EGR as it is truly disabled in the tune. Only if you have the EGR Delete (removes errors messages) tune would you need to unplug to disable it.

From RawTek:

"No need to unplug the EGR. The EGR is disabled through the tune. Some people choose to purchase a EGR removal kit on Ebay but this is not necessary.The screen you are viewing on the forum you shared below is the following:

DPF, EGR, SCR, Rear O2, and Swirl Valve Deletes (THIS IS THE TUNE YOU HAVE)

This requires at minimum a modified or aftermarket downpipe that eliminates the DPF. Unplugging DPF pressure sensor is recommended. Use this only if repairing the original system is not possible. For off-road use only.

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation
SCR = Adblue / Urea System
SWV = Intake Swirl Valves (Flaps)
Rear O2 = Rear Oxygen Sensor

EGR Delete (THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS REFERRING TO)

This only suppresses EGR related fault codes. This will not disable EGR valve function (this was intentionally done). If you want the EGR valve to stop operating, then electrically unplug it.

So yes, if you had a EGR delete only, you would have had to unplug the EGR as it does not disable the EGR function as your tune does.

Please do not hesitate should you have any further questions."

The following 2 users liked this post by DarkHorseMC:
Cold-Gas (07-06-2022), KBell (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 03:51 AM
Cold-Gas
Rennlist Member

That might explain the different answers some of us have for got from Tunezilla / Malone, myself included. One of my CD has the full deletes and one just the EGR delete for now.
Wish they had explained it better. Thanks for digging a bit deeper into this. I know I appreciate the information.
The following users liked this post:
DarkHorseMC (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 07:30 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold-Gas
Hi,
I am curious what oil you switched to after doing the deletes? Would you mind sharing.
Sorry. Missed. I have gravitated lately more to the q7 forum as I purchased a q7 tdi. I couldn’t find a CD with the options I was looking for for initially and test drove a q7 realized I really could use the extra cargo space. The oil I switched to was Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5w40 Engine Oi.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?