Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 02:26 PM
Yaemish
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Gforce1108 , that is great news to hear that you are deleted with the EGR attached and it passes. I finally got off my *** to see what is involved for physically doing the bolt on portion of the delete. It looks like I will be able to do it in a little over an hour. But if I don't have to swap each time, that is great!

As for your EGR, it is still connected and in use or do you have the tune that disables and then you just tune it back on prior to inspection? I like the idea of the dynamic tune, it gets cold in the winter. I think with the dynamic, you would have to tune it to enabled (if being enabled is required).

My friend does my inspections. He said that the OBD portion was always out of his hands. Years back he could overlook things, but it is now a station that logs the test and gives a pass/fail. They are supposed to do a visual inspection, but the computer can't enforce that portion. Nor can it enforce the window tint BS.

I did read that NY is moving to some new stickering system. I don't know what the advantages are or if it means they will be testing something else. Either way, it is good to hear that I just need the O2 sensor connected.

Also, one last question. The people at Malone said that the actual deletes don't add power and that it's just a reliability thing people do. Is that true? How could removing the restrictions not make a difference? Is it only an effecieny difference?

Old 07-29-2023, 08:02 PM
Gforce1108
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaemish
@Gforce1108 , that is great news to hear that you are deleted with the EGR attached and it passes. I finally got off my *** to see what is involved for physically doing the bolt on portion of the delete. It looks like I will be able to do it in a little over an hour. But if I don't have to swap each time, that is great!

As for your EGR, it is still connected and in use or do you have the tune that disables and then you just tune it back on prior to inspection? I like the idea of the dynamic tune, it gets cold in the winter. I think with the dynamic, you would have to tune it to enabled (if being enabled is required).

My friend does my inspections. He said that the OBD portion was always out of his hands. Years back he could overlook things, but it is now a station that logs the test and gives a pass/fail. They are supposed to do a visual inspection, but the computer can't enforce that portion. Nor can it enforce the window tint BS.

I did read that NY is moving to some new stickering system. I don't know what the advantages are or if it means they will be testing something else. Either way, it is good to hear that I just need the O2 sensor connected.

Also, one last question. The people at Malone said that the actual deletes don't add power and that it's just a reliability thing people do. Is that true? How could removing the restrictions not make a difference? Is it only an effecieny difference?
i didn’t do the dynamic EGR. Im not sure why actually as it’s something I usually recommend. It’s currently still all in place but I’ll be blanking it off as soon as anything starts leaking up there - it’s only a matter of time!

and yes - my plan was to reinstall the downpipe and reflash to stock for inspection. Since I haven’t had to, I’ll move to the next phase of the build (EGR/cooler removal, larger turbo).

NY is going with stickers that have the vin printed (currently inspection stations buy the stickers ahead of time and just punch the month out).

Increasing power increases emissions and it can be to the point that the stock hardware can’t compensate (more frequent regens, etc). Removal is definitely a reliability thing!

For me - I refuse to buy a DFF/as blue heater out of warranty so I removed it while it was all still good. Theoretically, it works all outlast the car if I was only using it once a year. I’m still holding on to it all just in case!!!
Old 07-29-2023, 08:45 PM
Yaemish
6th Gear

The problem is going to be that you have to swap the EGR if you blank it. That is going to be a pain in the ***, I think there is a coolant line running to it. When they leak, is it at the gasket or internally where you don't see it? I've heard mixed opinions.

This is the first I'm learning about these turbo upgrades. What kind of power are they putting out? I haven't seen the dynos.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:16 PM
Gforce1108
Advanced

The problem is going to be that you have to swap the EGR if you blank it. That is going to be a pain in the ***, I think there is a coolant line running to it. When they leak, is it at the gasket or internally where you don't see it? I've heard mixed opinions.

This is the first I'm learning about these turbo upgrades. What kind of power are they putting out? I haven't seen the dynos.
Bobby Singh seems to be the guy for these turbos.

the exhaust can be blanked and still leave the cooler in place. But are now some kits to remove it completely including a coolant bypass. Dimitri on the North American 3.0 V6 TDI forum on Facebook is making them.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:52 AM
Yaemish
6th Gear

But blanking it. You aren't passing emissions right?
Old 07-30-2023, 08:03 PM
Gforce1108
Advanced

Blanking is the same as defeating it in the tune. It all depends on what the tuner does (some fake readiness) and what the testing looks for. Even though Malone doesn’t fake them, it passes here. My EGR monitor reads N/A so it doesn’t show as a fault or as not ready. Just doesn’t exist.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:21 PM
Yaemish
6th Gear

And you are in NY. I thought you said that you were. Does not having the EGR cause issues in the cold?
Old 08-01-2023, 12:08 PM
Gforce1108
Advanced

And you are in NY. I thought you said that you were. Does not having the EGR cause issues in the cold?
NY is correct. Just outside the "metro area" in Orange county (testing in Ulster). Warmups are slower unfortunately. My BEW has had an EGR delete for about 14 years due to it breaking (dealers screwed up the EGR cooler recall). I use a tdiheater (frostheater) on that car. Too bad they don't make one for the V6 cars. Frostheater does carry a battery heater/charger with an oil pan heater that's better than nothing. I do have the ability to park in the heated garage so I haven't installed one. Maybe now with 2 of these V6 TDIs I will (can only fit so many in the garage!!!)
Old 11-13-2023, 03:59 PM
wineguy94920
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Finally installing Malone stage 2 W Dynamic EGR

Can you confirm if physicaly unplug the Wire to the EGR? With the Stage 2 Dynamic EGR feature?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by YaNi
Yeah that's pure BS. Actually 100% the opposite. You can't run high pressure EGR, which is what we have, when you're performing an active regen. Since most diesels don't have an injector in the exhaust they are injecting on the exhaust stroke to send fuel to be combusted in the DPF to heat it up, which causes the soot collected by the DPF to burn off. If you were running EGR during a regen you would be ingesting raw fuel into the intake system and it would cause uncontrolled engine operation. For example, try spraying some flammable liquid into the intake tract and watch it rev up (actually don't do that you can break things).
I say this as a prior diesel combustion engineer and owner of a CD with Malone EGR disable (and valve unplugged), which certainly does active regens still.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:51 PM
Gforce1108
Advanced

Dynamic EGR requires the EGR to be completely functional but only used for warmups.
Old 12-17-2023, 01:09 AM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Malone just remapped their tunes for the CNRB engine across all stages, to now include a Stage 2.5 AND a Stage 3.5 custom tune. My 2016 diesel is in the link as an example.

https://tunezilla.com/catalog/Porsch...DI?ecu=Stage-1

Last edited by BrewDude; 12-17-2023 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:47 PM
derekste
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BrewDude
Malone just remapped their tunes for the CNRB engine across all stages, to now include a Stage 2.5 AND a Stage 3.5 custom tune. My 2016 diesel is in the link as an example.

as a new owner of a 2014, this is fantastic news - cool they are still bringing updates to a 10+ year old platform.

stage 1 ecu + tcu is like $1300 locally installed. am I better off getting the dongle and doing it myself in case I want to switch it up in the future? I'm a Mac user and of course their software is Windows only
Old 12-19-2023, 07:15 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by derekste
as a new owner of a 2014, this is fantastic news - cool they are still bringing updates to a 10+ year old platform.

stage 1 ecu + tcu is like $1300 locally installed. am I better off getting the dongle and doing it myself in case I want to switch it up in the future? I'm a Mac user and of course their software is Windows only
I am a Mac user too...worked with Fusion for a while for VCDS, then eventually bought a cheap work class ThinkPad via Amazon. I think it ran $300. It only sees light of day when I need to run codes on one of my Audis. Sadly VCDS doesn't do much for the Cayenne.

Windows laptop - just another tool in the toolbox.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:48 PM
derekste
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by lml999
I am a Mac user too...worked with Fusion for a while for VCDS, then eventually bought a cheap work class ThinkPad via Amazon. I think it ran $300. It only sees light of day when I need to run codes on one of my Audis. Sadly VCDS doesn't do much for the Cayenne.

Windows laptop - just another tool in the toolbox.
I have Win10 running under UTM for VCDS, perhaps that will be enough for FlashZilla
edit: rats, won't run because I am running arm64 windows because M1 mac (needs amd64)

Last edited by derekste; 12-19-2023 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:50 AM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude

Do you have any details why they remapped their tunes?

I've had the stage 1 for many years, which I believe was rated at 280hp / 490ft-lbs. They're now claiming 312hp / 476ft-lbs. It looks like they've smoothed the peak at ~2000rpm, so there's a pretty flat torque plateau between 1900 and 2700rpm. And they must be pushing the turbo quite a bit harder now in the top end to bump up the power that much. I think the old stage 2 was rate at about 310hp.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?