Meet Otis

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 10:26 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
- Otis turned 100,000 last evening
We are well on our way prepping for a successful 2020 with the ALCAN 5000 rally coming up next this winter. This 5,000 mile winter rally will go to Tuktoyaktuk, west to Fairbanks, north to Coldfoot, then Anchorage for the start of the Iditarod. Bumper-to-bumper maintenance complete. Serpentine belt, brake discs, brake pads, all replaced. All fluids flushed and replaced, radiator, brake fluid, transmission. Transfer case, diffs, transmission all serviced. Completed the Totem Rally as a shake down no issues other than getting mud in places seen and unseen. Well, still dealing with our odo that is 3mph + 5% off - have not figured a factor for kilometers. This really hurt us on Totem which was run in BC using kilometers. All cleaned up and ready for 2020's adventures!

Enjoying yesterdays sunset on the shore of the Salish Sea

The entire car was covered in mud even the undercarriage had to be cleaned!

100,000 miles on 26-November-2020 Most of which were accumulated outside those pesky yellow & white lines!
Looking good, especially the dirty side.
Ready for another 100k of memorable adventures!!
Thanks for the opportunity to be apart of it, here and in "real life!"
Old 12-21-2019, 09:14 PM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Happy 100,000 miles to Otis! Great adventures and thanks for sharing so much of your travels. Quick question. Would you recommend purchase of the Wilco tire carrier? This carrier doesn't seem to block the rear exhaust like other designs, so it's the front runner for me.
The following users liked this post:
RS-America (02-03-2020)
Old 12-22-2019, 01:37 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by The Boz Abides
Happy 100,000 miles to Otis! Great adventures and thanks for sharing so much of your travels. Quick question. Would you recommend purchase of the Wilco tire carrier? This carrier doesn't seem to block the rear exhaust like other designs, so it's the front runner for me.
Thanks for the kind words - just enjoying having fun with our Cayenne
Most definitely recommend the Wilco Hitchgate spare tire carrier. After six years of use it operates as new, just a light touch to open and close. Our model has the tire and weight centered on the vehicle. Did not want the tire on the left or right side. We also have the optional mounts for two 5gal Mil-Spec Scepter cans that can be for fuel or water. Ours are for water as the diesel has a good range. Another consideration as we travel rough roads is additional stability, though not needed. Ever see bicycles rock left & right behind cars? We have two rear tow hooks installed and welded to the Hitchgate for added stability only. In the 'Meet Otis' post there is a side shot of how we did this - if you would like a different view just let us know.
Our next trip will be the 2020 winter ALCAN - 5,000 miles one way up to Inuvik - Aklavik - Tuktoyaktuk - Coldfoot - then Anchorage for the start of the Iditarod. Just returned from a rally based out of Cache Creek, BC - a dry run for us and others doing the February 2020 ALCAN - https://ww2.pca.org/news/oh-no-canada
Old 01-30-2020, 10:11 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Hi there @RS-America my hitchgate max was delivered today and I have it all mounted up. I noticed you have you tire mounted with the lugs and not the large center bar that comes standard with the hitchgate. Is that something custom, or is it an addon option?
RS-America (02-03-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 10:51 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmckenna
Hi there my hitchgate max was delivered today and I have it all mounted up. I noticed you have you tire mounted with the lugs and not the large center bar that comes standard with the hitchgate. Is that something custom, or is it an addon option?
We had three threaded studs mounted and use lug nuts to secure the tire to the hitchgate. Did this to make it easier / quicker to change tires on the trail.
Will try to take detailed photos this weekend. - It has been raining hard for several days here in Seattle, go figure!
Additionally, will take photos when I install the studded Hakkapeliitta's for our upcoming trip to Inuvik, Tuktoyaktuk, Aklavik via Ice Rd, etc
Would like to see a photo of your Cayenne with the Wilco Hitchgate.

Last edited by RS-America; 01-31-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:58 AM
tmckenna
Pro

We had three threaded studs mounted and use lug nuts to secure the tire to the hitchgate. Did this to make it easier / quicker to change tires on the trail.
Will try to take detailed photos this weekend. - It has been raining hard for several days here in Seattle, go figure!
Additionally, will take photos when I install the studded Hakkapeliitta's for our upcoming trip to Inuvik, Tuktoyaktuk, Aklavik via Ice Rd, etc
Would like to see a photo of your Cayenne with the Wilco Hitchgate.

This is all I have for now. No tire mounted because it came last night and i mounted it in the following 30 min or so. No license plate relocator yet so mounting a tire in front of it would get me in trouble with the local law enforcement haha.

RS-America (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 03:24 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

This is all I have for now. No tire mounted because it came last night and i mounted it in the following 30 min or so. No license plate relocator yet so mounting a tire in front of it would get me in trouble with the local law enforcement haha.
Looks like the Hitchgate you have is a different (newer) model. We wanted ours to symmetrically distribute weight.
Several detailed photos of our set-up below. Made them B&W to hopefully highlight details better.
The reason we added the left & right tabs is for stability. In addition to the full size spare we carry 83.4 lbs of water distributed evenly left & right.
Our Hitchgate has a round plate thru which we have secured three lug bolts. With the tire mounted we secure it with three lug nuts.
Had our first sunny day in Seattle in weeks - took advantage and replaced our BFG KO2 tires with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8s for our 5,000 mile (one way) Arctic trip this month.

Our two five gallon cans of water sit in the trays left & right of the tire.

Detail of the tire mount plate

Tire side of mount plate

rear side of plate

Lug nuts

Side view of stabilization tab These attach via two tow hooks installed in the hook receptacles

Top view of mount plate

Last edited by RS-America; 02-03-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:42 AM
atx955
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the approach with the OEM recovery point attachments anchoring the Hitchgate. I went with the Solo, as i don't anticipate extended events like the ones you do, but I'm def gonna copy you on this approach as it can only help with load on the swing gate!
RS-America (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:38 AM
tmckenna
Pro

@RS-America I see now that the tire mounting method is completely different. I'm going to have to get together with a welding friend on mine and design the wheel hanger. Thinking I'm just going to have him make a cube of aluminum box tubing and weld a 25mm 5x130 spacer on the front to mount the wheel to. The new Hitchgate carrier has inserts in "crossbar" for mounting a Hi Lift jack so i'd just use those inserts. To mount the cube. I'd probably still retain the center "All Threaad" bar because thats what the overhead cargo basket mounts too, but thats very easily removed and installed so its no big deal.
RS-America (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 02:48 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Folks tell us we should monetize 'Otis' online - that is not going to happen.
Our payback is to get comments, feedback, and questions. We enjoy seeing others use their Cayennes for what they were designed for.
Also knowing that when we recommend something it is because we have had good experience with the product and company.

The only other thing we hope for is that folks order directly from the places that design - manufacture - and provide product support. The OEMs are the folks who have real skin in the game. Its their survival and ability to develop innovations.
No point to giving Amazon non-value added profit knowing that they will not provide support. Every dollar we spend is a vote.
The following 2 users liked this post by RS-America:
Dave Waldo (02-04-2020), jeremy@matrix (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 02:53 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

I see now that the tire mounting method is completely different. I'm going to have to get together with a welding friend on mine and design the wheel hanger. Thinking I'm just going to have him make a cube of aluminum box tubing and weld a 25mm 5x130 spacer on the front to mount the wheel to. The new Hitchgate carrier has inserts in "crossbar" for mounting a Hi Lift jack so i'd just use those inserts. To mount the cube. I'd probably still retain the center "All Threaad" bar because thats what the overhead cargo basket mounts too, but thats very easily removed and installed so its no big deal.
Originally Posted by atx955
I like the approach with the OEM recovery point attachments anchoring the Hitchgate. I went with the Solo, as i don't anticipate extended events like the ones you do, but I'm def gonna copy you on this approach as it can only help with load on the swing gate!
Glad to see Cayenne's used for what they were designed for! --- Would like to see photos of your Hitchgate's too.
Others in this community would like to see available solutions.
Thanks,
Old 02-03-2020, 04:28 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Folks tell us we should monetize 'Otis' online - that is not going to happen.
Our payback is to get comments, feedback, and questions. We enjoy seeing others use their Cayennes for what they were designed for.
Also knowing that when we recommend something it is because we have had good experience with the product and company.

The only other thing we hope for is that folks order directly from the places that design - manufacture - and provide product support. The OEMs are the folks who have real skin in the game. Its their survival and ability to develop innovations.
No point to giving Amazon non-value added profit knowing that they will not provide support. Every dollar we spend is a vote.
I really appreciate all that you've done for this side of the cayenne market. I can tell its very limited but nice to see some people getting it done. I bought my turbo S as a jack of all trades type car so I could do everything from autocross and road course tracking (thanks to the PDCC and PTV) to towing and offroading. I'm not sure I'll ever be doing as serious of overlanding as you guys do but I'll certainly be taking mine off the beaten path and its nice to learn from people who have tons of experience doing exactly that.

I'm planning on speaking to a good welder friend of mine tonight, so I'll keep everybody updated regarding changing the wheel mounting method on the hitchgate max.
jeremy@matrix (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 10:14 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Default Cayenne Drawer System for storage

Cayenne Drawer System for storage - not many designed specifically for Cayenne's
Currently doing research for our monthly 'Meet Otis' column in PCA's Perfourmance News - http://archive.aweber.com/awlist5184484
Scroll down for member contributed content.

Found this item from Front Runner. We have not used this, we know that everything we have seen from Front Runner has been a cut above in quality.
We are looking to get the roof racks they make which are more robust then what we have. The racks system to secure items to it are innovative.
Their customer support has always been helpful too! I have written to Front Runner to see if this will fit other Porsche Cayenne's aside from 2002-2010.

Porsche Cayenne (2002-2010) drawer kit - by Front Runner
Make storing and organizing your gear and valuables a no-brainer. These 2 lockable drawers with fitted deck and faceplates have been designed specifically for the Porsche Cayenne. Hide contents from prying eyes, while creating more usable and easily accessible storage space in your vehicle. Engineered tough for both on and off-road travel.
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...rawer-kit.html

Does anyone else have experience with Front Runner products?

Old 02-03-2020, 10:52 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Ha, no way! Didn't think F.R. S.A. would get to this for another 5yrs. Looks like only 955/957 love so far, no 958 or 9A1 love. I haven't measured the back of a 955/957 vs 958 to know the difference in dimensions, or difference in mounting(I'm guessing they mount to the 4 factory D-rings)?

I had the F.R. drawer system in my G-Wagen and was very impressed with it. Pics here; https://expeditionportal.com/feature...williams-g500/
We custom mounted it for our own specific needs (the F.R. instructions said to drill thru the wheelwell), but absolutely NO noises from the drawers or anything. I'd highly recommend!

PS--someone needs to send F.R. S.A. some Griot's interior cleaner to wipe off hand prints before taking professional pics next time.
RS-America (02-04-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 04:12 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Will be a bit colder this trip, already at -50F on route. The ALCAN TSD rally starts Wednesday from Kirkland, WA, Quesnel BC, Fort Nelson, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Eagle Plains, Inuvik NWT, Tuktoyaktuk, Aklavik Ice Rd, Fairbanks, Coldfoot, Chena Hot Springs, Iditarod start in Anchorage, - Total Miles ~ 5,120 one way.
Among the entries are two Cayenne's and one Macan GTS.
The folks at Matrix / Bend did a bumper-to-bumper refresh so we are ready to go! Have used their Portland location too.

https://www.matrixintegrated.cc/

Quick Reply: Meet Otis