Sponsored by:

Meet Otis

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 06:33 PM
rd929
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Best way for folks to see what Overlanding is about is to attend a local rally. The events are for both 4 wheeled and dual sport motorcycles. Most of the pictures from the 'Meet Otis' article in the December Pano were taken at the Northwest Overland Rally. Think of an event as big as Parade but more interesting for families traveling the paths less taken. The next NWOL rally will be in Plain, just outside of Leavenworth, WA from June 15-18 2017. For more info see www.nwoverlandrally.com - After the NWOL rally there will be an off-road trip up to BC Canada for the BC Overland Rally 22-25 June www.bcoverlandrally.com
The mother of all overlanding events is put on by Overland Expo. www.overlandexpo.com - Think of these two events as being Parade and Rennsport combined.
Lastly this community is very welcoming, family friendly, leave no trace behind. This community is NOT into rock climbing or finding the deepest mud hole. They do love good food at the camp site, think steak risotto, antelope sliders, twice cooked pork tenderloin with a sauce of nectarine marinated in grappa.
Hope to see y'all on the trail - let us know about your adventures. Cayennes are truly worthy.
If you don't mind sharing, how much did the front and rear bumper cost from the shop? Thank you
Old 08-21-2020, 06:57 PM
quight
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Great to see all the development still ongoing on these threads. I've been looking in to suspension options for a while. PRG looks like he's done a ton of research and might have an answer to a longer throw set up. In the mean time, I'm getting the winch set up and some skids. After making my fabricator first go grey, then bald, I think I see why most of the options here are just a simple tube stuck on the front. I was determined to have something more fitting the lines of the bumper and integrate the winch behind the bumper. I think it's coming together and should be ready to mount in another week.

The following users liked this post:
RS-America (08-23-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 07:46 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Very nice fab work on the front bumper quight.

Not sure if you have air struts or coils, but I would suggest doing as much research as possible on the suspension lifts before excepting what a supplier says. Some of the claims are not accurate and you can have CV damage, I know from experience.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:30 PM
quight
Advanced

That's very good to know. I suspected as much. There's a reason, other than being German and conservative that Porsche drops the ride height above low speeds. Is your experience with that kit by chance? The subframe lift keeps the axles in stock alignment, so that should be safe. There's a lot of leverage on the spacers, I'm curious how those impact the mounting points. Cognizant of taking this thread off the rails...
Old 08-21-2020, 09:13 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

It sounds like you are running coil overs, since you mention spacers. I am running the air struts.....regardless of what you are running, the CV's on a Cayenne are similar to a 930 CV, which means that a safe max angle on the cv/cages/bearings is 24 degrees and some say you can go as far as 28 degrees. I have lived in the off road world all my life and I can tell you that going past 24 degrees will shorten the life of your CV.
Yes, I purchased the 2" lift from the mentioned supplier and Yes, I questioned him on the CV angle with a reply of no problem. There is a big problem with my air suspension and the supplier refuses to respond to multiple emails and phone calls, so I do not recommend based on his response, as far as the quality of the parts provided, they are very good. On air ride, we have multiple options on lifts with the air, so when on full height, the CV's were like 30 degrees and you couldn't drive 5' without loud bearing noise, which is useless, but looked really cool.
So, after replacing front CV's, (rears were not effected) I made new adjustable links to adjust ride height along with new a-arm mounts (because the plastic mounts will break with this kit) and now i can run comfortable at just under 2" over stock settings throughout.......with that said, coil overs might be less angle from the get go over air ride and you wont see the sever angles
Old 08-21-2020, 09:19 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

On a side note.....look at everything Ottis does, which is way more than the majority of us and he/she is running stock suspension....
RS-America (08-23-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 09:30 PM
quight
Advanced

Thanks for the details. Yes, coils. Actually looking at longer coilover options with maybe less lift from the coils, but still a body lift. Funny, I actually found Greg very responsive as long as we were talking geek. Then I wanted to send a bunch of money and heard crickets... I think he got busy as the season ramped up.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:31 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quight
Thanks for the details. Yes, coils. Actually looking at longer coilover options with maybe less lift from the coils, but still a body lift. Funny, I actually found Greg very responsive as long as we were talking geek. Then I wanted to send a bunch of money and heard crickets... I think he got busy as the season ramped up.
LOL.......Greg is really a nice guy and knowledgeable.....business side is questionable.....i think he is a good guy with way too much on his plate. I am one of the lucky ones who have experience , some knowledge and either the ability to fabricate and make right or people who can. I just want to share with the average DYI guy who wants to trick out their Cayenne and not have issues. I hope you find the right fit for your build.
quight (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 02:13 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rd929
If you don't mind sharing, how much did the front and rear bumper cost from the shop? Thank you
Our mods were done ~eight years ago, fairly sure pricing has substantially changed. The bumpers front and rear are stock.
=
For the rear we sourced the 'Hitchgate' from Wilco -- https://wilcooffroad.com
To this we added tabs to stabilize it using the two tow hook receptacles. These do not carry load just prevent the side-to-side rocking even bicycles are susceptible to. With the weight of two full military Scepter cans, spare tire, trash-A-roo, etc the 2" receiver is up to the load. We have even stabbed & used the winch from the rear receiver.
=
Likewise for the front, stock bumper that we added a bush bar, winch receiver, and skid plate support to. All of this today would be better priced by a local fab shop. Would definitely recommend going to a shop that builds race cars, we did. They will understand load paths and keep weight in check. Have seen folks that have aftermarket bumpers get pulled off during a recovery because the recovery forces incurred did not have sufficient load path. Bigger does not mean better. With all of our gear for multi week trips off-grid we do not want to overload, we want to keep our added weight balanced, and secured. Our inside rear roll bar is just for this purpose, keeping heavy gear in the back vs flying forward in an accident or technical situation. We also incorporated large gauge metal mesh onto the roll bar to see through and keep gear in place.

Summary - get out and see what you want in a build prior to spending money. We took years of extended trips off-road prior to getting our Cayenne. This experience shaped our build, saved us money, and resulted in a build that suits us. Keep it simple and in a design that works for you!

Apologies for the long response. Today I got inspired by spending time with one of the most accomplished overland rigs I can think of. Everything on it was simple and well thought out. No light bars, RTT or stuff we today think of as must haves. The Last Overland - 'Oxford' visited Seattle today. This aluminum bodied Land Rover Series1 of 'Oxford - Cambridge' fame set out from London in 1955 to journey to Singapore with its mate 'Cambridge'. 'Oxford' has recently returned from driving Singapore to London recreating its earlier trip. This amazing rig will visit Portland tomorrow. There it will have a few things freshened prior to driving from the west to east coast:

Last edited by RS-America; 08-22-2020 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:19 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 100 Posts

As stated above, we have gotten inspired and energized visiting 'Oxford' yesterday.
Really enjoy the creativity folks here have with their Cayenne’s, especially those pushing the envelope!
Hoping to see some of y’all at events and on the trail. The most we have seen are four Cayenne rig’s at a local overland event. Years ago we led a large group of stock Cayenne's over Colockum Pass, an abandoned 1882 covered wagon trail from Ellensburg to Wenatchee, WA

As life moves on change is inevitable, change to needs and desires. After eight years our wanderlust desires, if realized, will require us to do our first remodel. Currently thinking of removing the rear seats to better utilize space. We have no desire for a RTT or trailer.

Several options are being considered:
  • add an extended fuel tank where the rear seat was rising to the level of the tailgate floor.
  • make a platform for sleeping with storage underneath.
  • getting a more robust roof rack – Front Line or Rhino Rack
  • increasing the height of our awning closer to 8’ – this would resolve our 8x8x8 room issue
  • reviewing our gear to downsize / make more efficient
Intent of all this is to enable longer duration trips while increasing comfort.
Would love for this community to let folks know of planned off-road trips and events. We are planning to redo the lower half of the WABDR from Ellensburg, WA down to Oregon. https://ridebdr.com/wabdr
The BDR folks have planned routes in many states https://ridebdr.com mainly western but also Mid-Atlantic states. The routes are for both the dual sport community and four wheeled rigs. We have done several of them.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:43 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

quight; looks good. Approx weight of those 2?

Otis; custom fuel tank in the rear seat trough would be trick, but then how to best transfer fuel to the main tank?

PS--Oxford in person was a treat. Were very lucky to have housed (for 1/2 day) such a piece of overlanding history for others to see! So simple, so effective, yet not so comfortable.

Last edited by jeremy@matrix; 08-24-2020 at 04:45 PM.
RS-America (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 09:25 PM
quight
Advanced

I haven't weighed them yet, but I'm guessing the winch mount/bumper is somewhere around 30lbs. Lots of weight was taken out of the 1/4" plate without compromising strength. The lower skid is lighter, maybe 20lbs. Light enough to carry around in one hand, but heavy enough to need someone else to get the first bolt in. Should be strong enough to support the car and the trailer behind the 12000lb winch. If not, the trailer gets it's own winch, just in case.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:54 AM
rd929
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blagave
It sounds like you are running coil overs, since you mention spacers. I am running the air struts.....regardless of what you are running, the CV's on a Cayenne are similar to a 930 CV, which means that a safe max angle on the cv/cages/bearings is 24 degrees and some say you can go as far as 28 degrees. I have lived in the off road world all my life and I can tell you that going past 24 degrees will shorten the life of your CV.
Yes, I purchased the 2" lift from the mentioned supplier and Yes, I questioned him on the CV angle with a reply of no problem. There is a big problem with my air suspension and the supplier refuses to respond to multiple emails and phone calls, so I do not recommend based on his response, as far as the quality of the parts provided, they are very good. On air ride, we have multiple options on lifts with the air, so when on full height, the CV's were like 30 degrees and you couldn't drive 5' without loud bearing noise, which is useless, but looked really cool.
So, after replacing front CV's, (rears were not effected) I made new adjustable links to adjust ride height along with new a-arm mounts (because the plastic mounts will break with this kit) and now i can run comfortable at just under 2" over stock settings throughout.......with that said, coil overs might be less angle from the get go over air ride and you wont see the sever angles
good to know about the A arm mounts and links. Any plan to sell those?
Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rd929
good to know about the A arm mounts and links. Any plan to sell those?
Sorry, no plans to sell any parts....just not what I do. However, I will ask my friend who is going to make the mounts on his CNC if he wants to make extra sets. If he does, I will post.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:53 AM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmckenna
​​​​​​Not a ton to add to the post, as I havent gotten around to making myself a brush guard or anything metal for the front end. But in case anyone was wondering, I believe the thread pitch on our factory tow hooks is 5/8-11. Got that from suncoast or rennline or one of those porsche oriented websites.
FYI......the tow hook thread size on a 2010 Cayenne is M18 x 2.50mm thread pitch...."Left Hand Thread"

Last edited by Blagave; 09-16-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Meet Otis