Meet Otis

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 01:01 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Jeremy I believe your friend is on over at Expeditionportal.com

RS-America, you should join Expedition Portal as well. their is a Cayenne thread over in the over overland vehicles section. I used to have an older 4runner that I took all over North America with and plan on doing the same with my Cayenne when I get one (will do a lot less heavy trails that I did in the 4runner however.)
Yes, Mike and I both are. Another great site! Speaking of Front Runner gear, here's my old G-Wagen which was loaded with FR gear; https://expeditionportal.com/feature...williams-g500/
I believe Richard is already on ExPo, but I can't remember for sure.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:01 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Nice G-Wagen!! My username is neliconcept over there but changed it for this site and a few others.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:03 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Nice G-Wagen!! My username is neliconcept over there but changed it for this site and a few others.
Thanks! It was a great rig. 958TT is MUUUUUUCH more fun and comfortable to drive however.
Will look for you over there. Would you please post a crosslink/URL here of the ExPo Cayenne thread, so everyone can follow along?
Old 08-30-2018, 03:15 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Yea, here is the thread

https://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-builds.68922/

i plan to get a tear drop offroad trailer when I get my GTS. I probably won't do much more than fire roads or high altitude roads in Colorado. Maybe White Rim trail in Utah which isn't terribly hard.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:46 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Yea, here is the thread

https://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-builds.68922/

i plan to get a tear drop offroad trailer when I get my GTS. I probably won't do much more than fire roads or high altitude roads in Colorado. Maybe White Rim trail in Utah which isn't terribly hard.
Thank you.
White Rim is terrific!

PS--love your captures Blake, WOW!!!
Old 08-30-2018, 06:53 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Thank you! I appreciate it. Yea I've done White Rim back in 2007 and I loved it! Maybe a little past Murphys Hog back I might not attempt in the Cayenne but up until there or at least Airport Tower I'd take a Cayenne for sure. I also plan to do Engineer Pass, Ophir and maybe Imogene once I get situated, probably throw on some 265/50r20 Nitto G2s on secondary wheels or 255/55r20 Duratracs.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:40 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Thank you! I appreciate it. Yea I've done White Rim back in 2007 and I loved it! Maybe a little past Murphys Hog back I might not attempt in the Cayenne but up until there or at least Airport Tower I'd take a Cayenne for sure. I also plan to do Engineer Pass, Ophir and maybe Imogene once I get situated, probably throw on some 265/50r20 Nitto G2s on secondary wheels or 255/55r20 Duratracs.
Ah, Cayenne will be fine for the entire WRT. We did it in a monstrous E350 4x4, and that drop after (Airport CG I think it was) was scary as isht with a big loaded van!

CO passes on my list too; gorgeous!
Old 08-30-2018, 11:16 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

I can't remember, I just remember a section that had some off camber action in my 4runner, I probably didn't need to but I decided to lock the rear diff and it made it work easy.

Sorry to hijack the thread RS!
Old 08-31-2018, 01:23 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Jeremy I believe your friend is on over at Expeditionportal.com - RS-America, you should join Expedition Portal as well. their is a Cayenne thread over in the over overland vehicles section. I used to have an older 4runner that I took all over North America with and plan on doing the same with my Cayenne when I get one (will do a lot less heavy trails that I did in the 4runner however.)
I have been on Expo for some time as 'Cayenne-958-TDI' - do not know why they still show me as a 'new member'. We did our first Expo trip in 2013 to the "Forgotten Corner" - Applegate Wagon Train trail, Fields Station, Soldiers Meadow, & Black Rock Desert. Running on the Playa was fun! We were going with the Expo ROF trip to Montana next month exploring near the Canadian border. One of us is recovering from surgery, Doc nixed us going but said to go for it in November. Our next adventure is the Totem Rally a competitive off-road event going from Cache Creek up to 100 Mile House, BC in November. Photo's are from a past Totem Rally - two days of fun - yes that is a real Group B Quattro in front of 'Otis'. Come join us for two days of Totem - just need a driver and navigator.

The 911 photo in previous post is of Euan and Bill Pollock's Porsche 911 — in Soda Creek, British Columbia photo by Tim Chovanak

Would like to see a Rennlist sub-section for those of us who off-road our Cayenne's. Especially to be a repository of applicable info. For now ok being here as more 955-957 folks take their rigs off-road.
Jeremy, would like to know what Front Runner parts y'all needed. We do not have a Pano roof so not an issue for us. Also would love to see yours sometime when we get down to Portland, usually stay at the Kennedy School when we drive.
We also have a ComeUp DV-6S that we secure to the roll bar inside - see photos earlier in Meet Otis. We also did a pig tail off the battery that sits in the foot well. We run our ARB fridge off the 12v when driving. We have a Group-31 battery in a National Luna case when in camp that is recharged by a 90w Bosch hard solar panel. Issue with our ComeUp, it is leaking a lite oil from where the clutch joins the spool.
We have ours configured to stab the winch in the front or rear of Otis.

Last edited by RS-America; 08-31-2018 at 01:36 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 08-31-2018, 01:43 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by RS-America
I have been on Expo for some time as 'Cayenne-958-TDI' - do not know why they still show me as a 'new member'. We did our first Expo trip in 2013 to the "Forgotten Corner" - Applegate Wagon Train trail, Fields Station, Soldiers Meadow, & Black Rock Desert. Running on the Playa was fun! We were going with the Expo ROF trip to Montana next month exploring near the Canadian border. One of us is recovering from surgery, Doc nixed us going but said to go for it in November. Our next adventure is the Totem Rally a competitive off-road event going from Cache Creek up to 100 Mile House, BC in November. Photo's are from a past Totem Rally - two days of fun - yes that is a real Group B Quattro in front of 'Otis'. Come join us for two days of Totem - just need a driver and navigator.

The 911 photo in previous post is of Euan and Bill Pollock's Porsche 911 — in Soda Creek, British Columbia photo by Tim Chovanak

Would like to see a Rennlist sub-section for those of us who off-road our Cayenne's. Especially to be a repository of applicable info. For now ok being here as more 955-957 folks take their rigs off-road.
Jeremy, would like to know what Front Runner parts y'all needed. We do not have a Pano roof so not an issue for us. Also would love to see yours sometime when we get down to Portland, usually stay at the Kennedy School when we drive.
We also have a ComeUp DV-6S that we secure to the roll bar inside - see photos earlier in Meet Otis. We also did a pig tail off the battery that sits in the foot well. We run our ARB fridge off the 12v when driving. We have a Group-31 battery in a National Luna case when in camp that is recharged by a 90w Bosch hard solar panel. Issue with our ComeUp, it is leaking a lite oil from where the clutch joins the spool.
We have ours configured to stab the winch in the front or rear of Otis.

Hi Richard,

I'll PM you for your email and have Mike contact you about his FR rack experience as Mike isn't on Rennlist.
We'd both love to meet up with you and our respective Cayenne's when you're in PDX. I'll let you advise Mike when that will be.
I too have had the Nat'l Luna PowerPack(with grp31 Interstate AGM battery) and it's worked well. Sorry to hear about the lite oil leak, talk to Ben at ComeUp USA.

PS--been associates/friends with Colin Cantrell for many years, and have dealt with J&L Fabricating eons ago. Both fantastic fabricators!
Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Was asked how we did our auxiliary switches -
We use marine grade switches mounted to a plastic enclosure that was form fitted for the center console. To comply with rally rules our aux lights in front are keyed into the headlight dimmer switch. To comply with the law, the headlights have to be on and the center console switch also turned on. When using the headlight dimmer stalk the aux lights can be set to 10 different levels of brightness. Sourced the lights and install from Cyclops Adventure Sports, they are better know in the Ducati, BMW, & KTM world.

The following users liked this post:
muddyh2o (09-15-2023)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Great work. Subbed
Old 10-02-2018, 03:06 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Clean!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

SUBSCRIBED

All of us guys out here daydreaming, knowing our wives will never let us wheel their Cayennes....
Old 10-03-2018, 12:04 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Merk
All of us guys out here daydreaming, knowing our wives will never let us wheel their Cayennes....
Some. Mine's fine with the idea.

Quick Reply: Meet Otis