Meet Otis

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 11:03 AM
Vastrini
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enjoyed this

Originally Posted by RS-America
Would like to thank Randy Wells and PCAs Panorama for the wonderful 11 page article on our Cayenne 'Otis' in the December issue. A lot of folks have helped us on our journey building our overlanding Cayenne. We have also done rally events like the ALCAN 5000, Totem, No Alibi, etc. While the build has been an adventure, our travels have taken us to many places where we have met wonderful people. It is truly fun to color outside the yellow and white lines!
Also thanks to PCAs web page from which we copied the attached picture. Here is the link to the online issue - you then have to click the link to the 'Interactive edition' to read the article online starting on page 58: https://www.pca.org/login/panoreader/dec-2016
I really enjoyed this read. Also the time and information shared in your thread.
The following users liked this post:
RS-America (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 02:19 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Vastrini
I really enjoyed this read. Also the time and information shared in your thread.
Thanks for the kind response!
We saw the amazing accomplishments Jan Kalmar was doing in his stock diesel Cayenne in 2012. This led to our purchase of a 2013 which, like Jan, we kept totally stock with body protection. A 'lift kit' is not required or needed.
Early on folks suggested we monetize 'Otis' - no interest in anything other than being an unbiased resource. Also we stress "you do you, everyone else is taken" What works for us and others may not fit your goals.
Leaving Sunday for a return trip to the Owyhee Canyonlands. Will be scouting routes for a larger group going in September.

Hope to meet you on the trail some day!
Old 09-04-2022, 01:51 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

The Porsche 'Sports Car Together Fest' celebrated this Labor Day weekend was also enjoyed locally across the country. Today we got to catch up with friends and meet new ones at Roger Jobs Porsche in Bellingham, WA. Actually washed and cleaned 'Otis' up but like Peanuts Pig-Pen, he got thoroughly dirty on the rainy trip there!
Actually only the hood stayed clean -

"Engineered for Families - Porsche will return to Indianapolis over the Labor Day weekend to celebrate its long history of performance road and race cars, along with trackside activities for families and fans of all ages. The Sports Car Together Fest, the second annual marquee event at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) by Porsche, will highlight the German sports car manufacturer’s highest performance models: the GT line of road cars as well as its top one-make race series. Punctuating the September 2 to 4 event is what is expected to be the world’s largest gathering of Porsche GT cars and a spotlight on the 50th anniversary of the RS model."

Last edited by RS-America; 09-04-2022 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:27 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Well, after over 40+ years of ground tenting we have received our Overkill off-road camper. Have taken prototype rentals locally and to an extended stay in Moab, all with great success as it out preformed our expectations. 'Otis' and the Overkill played very nicely together, even on technical trails with challenges like a 19% grade up a canyon wall. Camping in snowy 5°F temps, we were so warm inside that we slept on top of our sleeping bags. The trailer is like a Swiss Army knife packing a lot into a 5'x10' package that weighs 2,300# dry. Now to fine tune how we will organize ourselves in the Overkill for the 7k to 10k principally off-road adventures we are planning. We envision a backbone of the coast to coast to coast trip as the TAT with a return on the TCT. Additionally, we will take advantage of the many BDR routes along the way.
While our adventures will start with 'Otis' and the Overkill, we have an Ineos Grenadier on pre-order. Next month we are scheduled to drive a Grenadier at the Rowher Flat OVP / Santa Clarita, CA. Then the obvious, if we receive a Grenadier, do we keep 'Otis' in the stable or move on - TBD -

Otis playing with the Rebelle's

Otis at a dispersed tent campsite

Otis with a prototype Overkill camper in Moab

Otis prior to getting 'hitched' w Overkill in Bend, OR

Otis Overkill w 340w solar on top

Otis Overkill outside galley kitchen fridge/freezer

Otis Overkill 270-plus awning

Otis Overkill interior w pop-up & bump-out

Otis - Ineos Grenadier Pre production model we saw in Seattle

Otis - Ineos Grenadier Pre production model we saw in Seattle
Old 02-27-2023, 12:47 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

WAY cool!!!
Keep adventuring. You're both an inspiration to so many of us. "We want to be like R&D when we're older..."
RS-America (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 03:20 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I keep looking at those little offroad trailers, there're some that are almost fully equipped motorhomes, without the bulk. Hot water on demand, solar, etc. The one you have looks pretty awesome, but maybe a bit too big for my taste. How does the Cayenne handle towing it?
Old 02-27-2023, 05:53 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mbardeen
I keep looking at those little offroad trailers, there're some that are almost fully equipped motorhomes, without the bulk. Hot water on demand, solar, etc. The one you have looks pretty awesome, but maybe a bit too big for my taste. How does the Cayenne handle towing it?
We have taken many trips with our Cayenne towing an Overkill trailer. On highways the Cayenne handles so well it is easy to forget the trailer is back there. Off-road we have not encountered any issues, even on technical trails. The only thing, particularly off-road, is that our diesel uses Add-Blue at a higher rate.
Note we do not 'rock-climb' or go 'crawling' for their own sake. We do extended long distance off-grid / off-road adventures of 4k - 7k miles. Our Cayenne is stock w/o a 'lift-kit' we have only added body protection and camping gear. Over many years we have looked at camping options for overlanding. For our needs, a small trailer best suited us. Many had features we like but the Overkill is the only off-road capable complete package we found. Our S.O.5.10 is only 5' x 10' a perfect size for extended trips with just the right amount of amenities. Overkill also makes a smaller version, the T.K.4.7 - which is 4' x 7'
Overkill's innovative designs, light weight, compact, off-grid / off-road capable with a quality build we have not seen any other that meets our needs.

Otis and Overkill prototype at dispersed campsite. While exploring we always follow the Leave No Trace principles
The following 2 users liked this post by RS-America:
jeremy@matrix (02-27-2023), mbardeen (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 06:05 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info! The specific make of trailer won't help me much (I live in Chile), but the use cases you mention are pretty close to what I'd like to do with my Cayenne. Having some more amenities would definitely help convince my wife to join me on my expeditions!
RS-America (08-08-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 09:50 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

@RS-America can you post some pics of your underbody protection? I’m curious to see how it is laid out, and hopefully, where the impacts are after your years of use.

cheers!
Old 03-05-2023, 01:37 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crozzer
@RS-America can you post some pics of your underbody protection? I’m curious to see how it is laid out, and hopefully, where the impacts are after your years of use. cheers!
Photo from many years ago fine tuning the skid plates, bush bar, and sliders. Obviously the front had not yet been installed. All are 'formed' so they do not catch on anything vs just being flat. Will take some photos next time its on a lift. So glad we got these early on! Also the Xpel stealth self healing PPF in satin has more than earned its keep, photos earlier in this thread.
edit - Just added 2 photos, note these are all from years ago - many more adventures since

Last edited by RS-America; 03-05-2023 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 03-05-2023, 02:47 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

Nice! In my mind the “boat sides” or rock sliders of some sort would be pretty critical. It does not look like you have them? Have you missed them? Would you recommend them?
Old 03-05-2023, 03:02 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Nice! In my mind the “boat sides” or rock sliders of some sort would be pretty critical. It does not look like you have them? Have you missed them? Would you recommend them?
We do have them, look at the middle photo - used the front & rear jack points as hard mounts then added a pad in the middle. Note these do not stick out or protrude down. We have protection w/o impinging on clearance.
Tried to paste this photo - here is the link: https://rennlist.com/g/picture/17603883

Last edited by RS-America; 03-05-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 09:52 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

We recently received the same model Overkill S.O.5.10 trailer in this video - as our new adventure home. Have had a proto-type off-road several times including dispersed camping in SE Oregon and Moab, etc with 'Otis'. The two played very nicely together even on the Shafer Switchbacks. Took both about 40 miles off-road to a canyon's edge ~1200' looking down upon the Green River. Lots of plans for many more off-grid travels -
Just returned from a trip into BC Canada. Heading this week for our 8th North West Overland Rally in Plain, WA.
Once again 'Otis' will be leading trail runs for this family friendly event. The event is not geared for 'rock climbers' or 'mudders'. Rather, attendees have driven routes from
London to Singapore in a 1954 Land Rover With a Family of 5, others spent extended long term travels around Africa, South America, etc.
Have fun with your Cayenne's, they are very capable right out of the box. Our adventures started with our 958 as delivered including the street tires. We adapted and added body protection, camping gear, etc.
These are truly capable vehicles stock - 'Lift-Kits' are not required!

Last edited by RS-America; 06-11-2023 at 09:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RS-America:
jeremy@matrix (06-22-2023), zygomatic (06-13-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 06:02 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

It has been a wonderful adventure these past 144k miles!
Coloring outside those pesky yellow & white lines has taken us many places not often seen. More important are the folks we have met along the way, many who have helped guide us as facilitators on this journey. Thank you!
--
After arrival at the Port of San Diego the entire ship load of Porsche's were impounded by Customs. This left the new arrivals to sing:
I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide roll away, ooh
I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time

Last edited by RS-America; 09-09-2023 at 06:12 PM.
jeremy@matrix (09-11-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 01:53 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Looks like 'Otis' has fully recovered from a diesel emission issue.
All vehicles require upkeep and for what we do it is critical.

History:
Got a check engine light where the shop checked the code as an 'Undefined Fault' that was related to the emissions system. At our request they did a forced regen which extinguished the check engine light. Quite a while later the check engine light reappeared so we went to another shop we use. They troubleshot down to a software update applicable to only 2015-16 diesels, 'Otis' is a 2013. During their trouble shooting the check engine light again extinguished. Driving around town it did not reappear.
We went up to Hope, Canada for our 2nd Grenadier off-road test drive. The Grenadier is the most amazing overland rig we have experienced! On arriving the night prior to a friend's house the check engine light came on again pointing to emissions then extinguished. Leaving the Ineos event the AddBlue countdown warning showed up. As we carry a full box on long trips not an issue to top off but strange as we had just topped it off prior to leaving home. Drove towards Vancouver BC and the warning reappeared where a shop replaced a questionable AddBlue injector. Life was good to get home and drive around town. Would have gone to a dealer but did not want to risk bricking 'Otis' should the countdown run out.

At home got an appt with the Roger Jobs dealership to shake down 'Otis' to resolve the issue. As we told them the injector was replaced, after troubleshooting they replaced the AddBlue pump under warranty. Drove 15 miles past their check-out drive and the check engine light returned. Back to the dealer who after consulting with PCNA determined the replaced injector was for a pre-fix diesel and needed to be changed for a post-fix higher volume injector.

So far 'Otis' is happy and ready for our next adventure.
jeremy@matrix (09-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Meet Otis