Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Ditto.

958 wheelin' rig....wait for it...….
Old 10-05-2018, 02:54 PM
BigBearJoe
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

OUCH! Unfortunately, I've done similar to my 2005 Turbo Cayenne. Went down an essentially abandoned, overgrown road where the gap between the brush was maybe three or 4 feet. But I bought it to use it so that's the way it goes.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:00 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by BigBearJoe
OUCH! Unfortunately, I've done similar to my 2005 Turbo Cayenne. Went down an essentially abandoned, overgrown road where the gap between the brush was maybe three or 4 feet. But I bought it to use it so that's the way it goes.
Thankfully we encountered enough dust beforehand to have the CTT covered in dust, then came the overgrown single track on the Plumas Backcountry Discovery Trail. So....it's more of a unique picture for effect. These scratch lines are more scratches in the dust than deep into the paint. Washing it finally this weekend, might need some buffing but doesn't appear to be anything sizable. Plus, the memories of the trip outweigh all else.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:15 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

For off-road just put a wrap on it. After ~ six years and 80k miles - we are still pleased with our Xpel Ultimate self healing wrap.
A wrap is a lot better and less costly than a re-paint. Ours is the satin finish that really brings out the metallic paint.
The self healing feature does work!
Originally Posted by RS-America
Folks have asked how effective paint protecting wrap is. We are prone to getting ours quite dirty and travel narrow trails getting plenty of 'pin striping'. "Otis' has a full body wrap using Xpel Ultimate satin stealth. From the below photos one has so much mud that it is actually cracking off. Another shows pin striping after traveling on a fairly technical trail that was quite narrow. The last photo is by Jason Tang taken at the Exotics@RTC car show, we do clean up nicely. Notice how the sides look after the dirt and grim are cleaned off. Our five year old full body wrap is a lot cheaper than a repaint - we did not get the roof wrapped, everything else is.
Doing what we do, we also spend a lot of time cleaning and maintaining our equipment and vehicle. As we take the roads less traveled we need for our equipment and vehicle to not fail us. Being well beyond cell phone coverage, HAM radio and satellites are our life line.

Folks have asked how effective paint protecting wrap is. We are prone to getting ours quite dirty and travel narrow trails getting plenty of 'pin striping'. "Otis' has a full body wrap using Xpel Ultimate satin stealth. From the below photos one has so much mud that it is actually cracking off. Another shows pin striping after traveling on a fairly technical trail that was quite narrow. The last photo is by Jason Tang taken at the Exotics@RTC car show, we do clean up nicely. Notice how the sides look after the dirt and grim are cleaned off. Our five year old full body wrap is a lot cheaper than a repaint - we did not get the roof wrapped, everything else is.
Doing what we do, we also spend a lot of time cleaning and maintaining our equipment and vehicle. As we take the roads less traveled we need for our equipment and vehicle to not fail us. Being well beyond cell phone coverage, HAM radio and satellites are our life line.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:59 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Thanks Richard!
Old 12-17-2018, 01:05 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

We were asked on another page where we store our Maxtrax.
For long trips they are either secured to the roof rack or to the Hitchgate - between the tailgate and rear mounted spare tire.
For around town in the winter we store it inside the tailgate. Either flat or vertical to form a fence keeping loose grocery items inside.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:30 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

I like the "grocery guard" idea Richard. If the tire swingout wasn't so wide you could build one of those truck tailgate extenders for longer items and drive around with the hatch open. :-P
Old 03-27-2019, 01:03 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Tim Matthews just posted this from last years NWOR - Otis and others on the off-road technical course:
--

We have had four Cayenne's show up in the past - would love to see some this yeartoo.
The next event will be June 20 - 23, 2019 Just 2 hours from Seattle in the beautiful Cascades.
-- http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/
Old 03-29-2019, 04:36 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Looking forward to seeing you there this year Richard and Dolores!
The following users liked this post:
RS-America (08-18-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:40 AM
SOAZ
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great setup!
RS-America (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:54 AM
Kirsten Abela
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to off road Cayenne

Hi, I'm currently looking into converting my 2005 cayenne to be used on off road terrain. I have a Expedition build Land Rover at the moment, but I can to realise that a cayenne is a completely different beast to modify. My first question is, would you recommend spraying the bottom of the cayenne so it will have an extra layer of protection? Also, I'm a bit weary as to the body of the cayenne being much more fragile than an old school Land Rover, which means it's easier to get the body damaged... has anyone ever had this concern?
Old 08-18-2019, 08:05 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kirsten Abela
Hi, I'm currently looking into converting my 2005 cayenne to be used on off road terrain. I have a Expedition build Land Rover at the moment, but I can to realise that a cayenne is a completely different beast to modify. My first question is, would you recommend spraying the bottom of the cayenne so it will have an extra layer of protection? Also, I'm a bit weary as to the body of the cayenne being much more fragile than an old school Land Rover, which means it's easier to get the body damaged... has anyone ever had this concern?
-
By spraying if you mean undercoat I do not believe that would help other than for corrosion. With all we have done off-road corrosion has not been an issue
As to the Cayenne being much more fragile, I can not speak for the Land River. Again we have not had issues with our Cayenne. That said we do have armor that most Land Rovers have. For light off-road travel like Forrest Service roads probably not much is needed. As we go beyond, we like having our skid plates covering vitals from front to to rear, rock sliders, and bush bar.
Additionally, we had a self healing wrap put on to protect from pin striping. Our Xpel Stealth still works and looks good after 94,000 miles principally driven off-road.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:18 AM
Kirsten Abela
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply.

My cayenne is 3.2 v6, do you think that I would benefit from modifying the engine performance? (IE performance exhaust, cooling etc)
Old 08-19-2019, 02:16 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kirsten Abela
Thank you for your reply. My cayenne is 3.2 v6, do you think that I would benefit from modifying the engine performance? (IE performance exhaust, cooling etc)
For going off-road I see no benefit - what we need is low end torque and range. Stock our diesel puts out all we need for both.
We looked into doing this for our diesel after reading the concerns expressed by those who got the 'diesel gate' fix. Could not find anything that gave us the confidence that both the engine and transmission ECUs were addressed and would play nice with each other. Keeping ours stock as delivered and not getting the 'fix'.
If you are looking to increase performance for driving on the road there are other forum threads here that address that.

Heading to the mountains in SE Oregon
The Mick (01-29-2023)
Old 11-27-2019, 08:57 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

- Otis turned 100,000 last evening
We are well on our way prepping for a successful 2020 with the ALCAN 5000 rally coming up next this winter. This 5,000 mile winter rally will go to Tuktoyaktuk, west to Fairbanks, north to Coldfoot, then Anchorage for the start of the Iditarod. Bumper-to-bumper maintenance complete. Serpentine belt, brake discs, brake pads, all replaced. All fluids flushed and replaced, radiator, brake fluid, transmission. Transfer case, diffs, transmission all serviced. Completed the Totem Rally as a shake down no issues other than getting mud in places seen and unseen. Well, still dealing with our odo that is 3mph + 5% off - have not figured a factor for kilometers. This really hurt us on Totem which was run in BC using kilometers. All cleaned up and ready for 2020's adventures!

Enjoying yesterdays sunset on the shore of the Salish Sea

The entire car was covered in mud even the undercarriage had to be cleaned!

100,000 miles on 26-November-2020 Most of which were accumulated outside those pesky yellow & white lines!

Quick Reply: Meet Otis