Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Shalz
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect, but can anyone help / guide me to how to get sound?

The original FM and GPS cables and power all work, just no sound.

Everyone else without BOSE seems to have easily done this so feel like I'm missing something obvious? Does the speaker wiring loom need to be connected and the red and white inputs connected to the power harness ones?

Originally Posted by Shalz
Hi all,

Just bought a 957 '09 Diesel a while back, it's non-BOSE. Ordered one of the 9" Android units from AliExpress but I'm struggling to get sound from the unit (GPS, radio antenna etc works).

I don't have BOSE and no orange connector that I think others have identified as the Fibre Optic cable so I didn't order any MOST adapter - do I still need one?

Pictures of the Android unit connector, Cars wiring harness and back of original PCM unit below if it helps anyone guide me as at my wit's end. Connected the black FM FACRA unit only (no space/fitment for second antenna cable).

PS usefully, the car's GPS cable is FACRA so fit directly without having to use the aftermarket one.

Android connector harness

Vehicles connector to PCM what's the green one as no corresponding connection to PCM connector but has lots of wires coming out of it?

Back of my original PCM unit
The following users liked this post:
Potential (02-01-2021)
Old 07-12-2019, 02:12 PM
hirinhu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dalewydra

I ordered one of these 4-channel MOST adaptors from:
http://playauto.ru/products/adapter-...ka-most-amp-40

Will install it in the next few weeks and should have fader control. Will let you know how it goes if anyone is interested?

if i get the HU with DSP option, i get fader control?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:01 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

All,

I have had a Seicane 9" unit for a few years now and thinking of upgrading. One of the major limitations and frankly dangerous deficiencies I've found is the lack of a voice actuated keyboard, no mic button to speak your text. I've explained this ad nauseum to the folk at Seicane and no matter how I rephrase they just can't seem to get it. I've tried many keyboards through the play store to no avail though I'm running a super old version of android. I'm willing to upgrade, looking forward to it actually. Can anyone here confirm for me that a keyboard app is available on the newer units so you can talk to the thing?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:55 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 9" Android HU and it for sure allows for voice commands, I use it all the time for addresses & locations with Google Maps & Waze, and for searches on Chrome.
"Car Talk on You Tube" is one I use often...saves about 8 button pushes when i'm driving

Mine is the Android 8,0 with 4GB Ram, but there is an Android 9.0 with 4GB Ram unit available now (3rd selection of the four options)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...27424c4dxR7zxj

Also, I use this launcher, I tried many and this is my favorite for appearance, options, & features. It provides an option for using Google Assistant or similar voice command apps (see below).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

This was from my review on Goole Play Store regarding voice commands with the launcher:
On my unit the Google search button (lower left) does not work properly. This is a good feature to have if you want to do a voice command from the HU. It is important because if you use the "Hello Google" voice command and you are using your phone as a hot spot, both the HU & phone will respond. Turning the feature off on the phone is a PIA. Having a button that brings up the Google Assistant solves this. I discovered that if you go to the menu (app menu, lower right, not Android settings) there is option for the "Quick Button", one is "Google Voice Search" which does not work and can not be changed/assigned. The other option is "Quick Camera". If you select the "Quick Camera", then go back to the Home page, and then long press the Quick Camera, you get a menu of all the apps on the HU. You can assign Google Assistant, or anything else, to the button. The icon is a camera, but I live with it,
Old 08-23-2019, 12:01 AM
nidlezp
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOST-AMP 4.0 Installed

Originally Posted by Brainz
Give this man a prize! He found a unicorn: 4 channel Porsche MOST adapter. Price is not bad at 8000 rubles (~$145). Wish I'd know about this 6 weeks ago when I bought a 2 channel off of eBay.

Here is a translated link: https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Has anyone tried this unit? Note also that there is also a 4.0 version of the adapter - - but it's not clear what the difference is.

Great find. Porsche owners salute you!
Originally Posted by mrottjers
Of course the prize goes to @Zakowsky as he found it. I just searched some further. I have no experience with this unit. I did find a distributor for Germany (for those in the EU perhaps easier than Russia, see http://trioma.ru/partner.shtml).

The difference between model 3 and 4 is described on their homepage:02/17/2017Release of the 4th version of the launch adapter for the standard amplifier Most-AMP
The new 4-th version of the amplifier adapter - Most-AMP - is on sale . Now Most-AMP 3.0 and Most-AMP_w211 are combined in one package, the algorithm of pseudo-fader is improved, the adapter's dimensions are reduced.

The cost of Most-AMP 4.0 is 9.000 rubles.

For Mercedes w211 and w 220, we also need a WakeUp cable . Its cost is 300 rubles.

The Most-AMP 3.0 adapter is removed from production, stored for sale, while the product is in stock.

Adapter Most-AMP_w211 taken out of production and sales.
Originally Posted by hirinhu
Long-time lurker here. Thanks to both of you: @Zakowsky and @mrottjers I was able to buy and install this 4.0 adapter from Russia. The purchasing process is not without it's hurdles, as they don't accept any method of payment I could offer from US: none of my credit cards, no PayPal, no QuickPay. Considering minimal recourse options in case of a problem I didn't want to wire funds and I don't think that was offered as an option. A friend of mine came through, bought it locally and shipped it to the US. It's kind of surprising that no one else offers anything similar.
The install is pretty straight-forward, but included instructions are in Russian. The fade is emulated based on amplitudes of signals for front and rear channels in real time. For some reason, there are only 3 "steps" to fade to front and 3 "steps" to fade to rear. In my case, even at 100% fade to the front the rear still gets a signal. The same happens when fading to the rear. In any case, I'm pretty happy with it.

If anyone has any questions - will be glad to help.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:05 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also tried to buy the Russian "4.0 channel" MOST decoder. They said they do not sell to the USA, and sent me to their distributors, when I went to the German distributor, they did not have the 4.0 MOST decoder on their site.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:49 AM
nidlezp
5th Gear

Let me know if you need help in purchasing it. I paid $150 for the unit and about $100 for shipping by DHL air freight - took 3 days, I think. There may be other options, but I didn't want to inconvenience my friend any more.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:27 PM
dalewydra
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirinhu
Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I installed the unit and have been using it for a few months now, all working well.
You can fade with the unit but it is a little quirky, I'm not sure if it is the head-unit or the converter that is odd but I am going to do some testing with another sound source in a few weeks.
What happens it allows you to fade but it isnt as uniform as you would expect, almost like it is a virtual fader.

Sound quality for unit is great, better then stock.
I have a HU with DSP.

I purchased the latest Version 4 but was told by the vendor both the Ver 3 and 2 work with our cars, this is just the latest release.
I'll report back in a few weeks when I have done some more testing.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:13 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi All,

Only just begun looking in to replacing my PCM2 unit in my GTS.

I have the full Bose, Nav, steering wheel button setup so from what I gather, I need to get a unit which comes with a CANbus adapter, MOST (Fibre optic converter) and that's it?

I was looking at this as it's cheap and cheerful and will allow me to fit a backup camera and stream from my phone, that's all I want, I'm not looking for anything fancy really.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...16d93e5fShVNuq

Looks good to me and should bring the cabin a bit more into 2019..

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-21-2019, 10:30 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That should be fine. They are all similar now, so just get the one with the most RAM and memory so it doesn't get outdated quickly.

I just upgraded to this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...27424c4dxR7zxj with all the options and love it. OK Google works, and so does Alexa. I don't even have to look at the screen for anything because Alexa works so well. It even opens my garage door when I get home just by using voice.

You probably should get the back up camera installed professionally. I understand it is a pain in the ***.

Another option is now the apple carplay adapters like this that still use your original stereo:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...34a57494lZFcAD

I haven't tried it, but I will on my next Porsche.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

stupid question:
I have a 2004 Cayenne S (3200) that does NOT have the Bose Sound System. No Subwoofer too.
I live in the UK, hence my car is right hand drive.
Of course it doesn't change anything for the purpose of this topic

I have purchased this version of the Android unit we all have.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-1...53.m2749.l2649
It should have the internal mic (an external one has been included)
They also included the reverse cam.

They assured the unit was plug & play but as far as I am concerned it is a bit of a lie.

First of all the antenna needs the dual fakra adapter (I have just purchased it)

Now the question is: Do I also need the MOST Adapter?
The seller said I don't as I do not have the Bose Sound System.
I have started to take the old unit off and I have seen the most thing (double orange wire) plugged behind the radio.
What do I do now? reading this forum it seems that you all have the Bose Sound System.
I don't. will that change something?

Last but not least:
A) have you ever ever tried to use the internal mic? Does it work? I would like to avoid to use the external one unless I really have to

B) I would like to use an iPod to play my music and I have in mind to connect it via usb. I have purchased this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-Car-Da...53.m2749.l2649 in order to hide the iPod inside the armrest .
Any of you did the same? Any tutorial on how/where let the wire go from the radio till the armrest (under/around the gearshift)?

C) reverse cam. They have sent me something different from the picture they sent before my purchase. I was expecting (as they have promised) the small cam that goes instead of the plate light. The one I have is the same size but doesn't have any light for the plate. Any suggestion? Should I just trash it and buy another one?

Looking for your answers.
Thanks a lot in advance

Andrea

Old 02-02-2020, 08:34 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lord Brummel
stupid question:
I have a 2004 Cayenne S (3200) that does NOT have the Bose Sound System. No Subwoofer too.
I live in the UK, hence my car is right hand drive.
Of course it doesn't change anything for the purpose of this topic

I have purchased this version of the Android unit we all have.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-1...53.m2749.l2649
It should have the internal mic (an external one has been included)
They also included the reverse cam.

They assured the unit was plug & play but as far as I am concerned it is a bit of a lie.

First of all the antenna needs the dual fakra adapter (I have just purchased it)

Now the question is: Do I also need the MOST Adapter?
The seller said I don't as I do not have the Bose Sound System.
I have started to take the old unit off and I have seen the most thing (double orange wire) plugged behind the radio.
What do I do now? reading this forum it seems that you all have the Bose Sound System.
I don't. will that change something?

Last but not least:
A) have you ever ever tried to use the internal mic? Does it work? I would like to avoid to use the external one unless I really have to

B) I would like to use an iPod to play my music and I have in mind to connect it via usb. I have purchased this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-Car-Da...53.m2749.l2649 in order to hide the iPod inside the armrest .
Any of you did the same? Any tutorial on how/where let the wire go from the radio till the armrest (under/around the gearshift)?

C) reverse cam. They have sent me something different from the picture they sent before my purchase. I was expecting (as they have promised) the small cam that goes instead of the plate light. The one I have is the same size but doesn't have any light for the plate. Any suggestion? Should I just trash it and buy another one?

Looking for your answers.
Thanks a lot in advance

Andrea
That's weird that you have the orange fiberoptic wires, but not a bose system. Maybe you actually do, but someone swapped out the speaker grills? I don't know, but it sounds like you will need the most adapter if you don't see any speaker wires back there..

my internal mic works fine, but the plug in one works better, and is better for both OK Google and Alexa detection.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with connecting an ipod to it. Just store all of more music on a thumb drive, and tuck it into the ashtray or something. I have a 64GB USB drive full of music, and it works great with the built in music player.

Best of luck with it... I love mine!

Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 PM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

Thanks for your quick reply.

I would rather use the iPod as it is synchronised with my iPhone and all the play lists are in good order. I find it better and easier. All kept in good order.

Re the Bose sound system. I have just bought the car and the owner said "No Bose". There are no stickers on the speakers grids. And I also had a Turbo S with the Bose and it was a completely different thing. Furthermore I do not have the subwoofer.

But I confirm that I have the 2 orange wires behind the oem unit.

Can you confirm that these are the MOST wires?
I hope I am wrong but I am afraid am not

Old 02-02-2020, 08:57 PM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

Originally Posted by hgupta
That's weird that you have the orange fiberoptic wires, but not a bose system. Maybe you actually do, but someone swapped out the speaker grills? I don't know, but it sounds like you will need the most adapter if you don't see any speaker wires back there..

my internal mic works fine, but the plug in one works better, and is better for both OK Google and Alexa detection.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with connecting an ipod to it. Just store all of more music on a thumb drive, and tuck it into the ashtray or something. I have a 64GB USB drive full of music, and it works great with the built in music player.

Best of luck with it... I love mine!
When I have purchased the car (2 week ago) the seller said: "NO BOSE"
Furthermore I had a Turbo S a few years ago with the Bose.....just another level of music.
I cannot even find the subwoofer in this car. Needless to say I have no Bose sticker on the grids of the speakers.
So I took for granted that the car had NO Bose.

But when I have removed the OEM Radio I have found these.

I wish I am wrong but they look like the MOST plug/wires

iPhone/iPod wise I would rather use it as I have them synchronised automatically with my phone and my laptop and all the music is properly organised into playlists etc, etc. I am a bit OCD.....lol

Old 02-02-2020, 09:49 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

My 2008 GTS had CDR23 radio and had the fiber optic wire in the back as well yet I do not have Bose or an amp in the back.
I could not detect any activity on the fiber optic (visualy one of the wires will have a light shining through if its in use)
I just coverd it with tape and left it unplugged and everything works fine.

The following users liked this post:
Lord Brummel (02-02-2020)

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review