Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 05:02 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Link to the head unit you are installing.

Originally Posted by tpwierimaa
1. The back up camera doesn't work. I have only one wire that runs from the camera to the unit. I put an RCA adapter on it but that did not help. I just get a yellow triangle when I plug it into the RCA jack for the reverse camera.
Year? Factory backup camera or aftermarket? Bose stereo or no?
Originally Posted by tpwierimaa
2. The Steering Wheel controls are not working as advertised. I got to the screen (I took a picture) and all it does is put buttons when I click something is go to another screen briefly and return to this screen. Any idea what I do here?
Steering wheel controls should be already assigned and working if this head unit is designed for the Cayenne; I assume the signals travel via the canbus adapter. Did you make any mistakes and attach any wires where you maybe shouldn't have? I've seen the canbus adapters fry from hasty failed attempts and require replacement.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:40 PM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
Link to the head unit you are installing.

Year? Factory backup camera or aftermarket? Bose stereo or no?

Steering wheel controls should be already assigned and working if this head unit is designed for the Cayenne; I assume the signals travel via the canbus adapter. Did you make any mistakes and attach any wires where you maybe shouldn't have? I've seen the canbus adapters fry from hasty failed attempts and require replacement.
Its a 2008 Cayenne GTS. It had the Bose system, but the crack peddlers ripped it out and put in two aftermarket amps.

The wiring in this car is a mess. They tapped the Steering wheel wires to wire in an Axxess control module unit (the WSCX-1 or whatever it was). I had to wire those leads to the Key1 and Key 2 wires on the Seicane unit. It gives me that screen, but no more. If I select options it adds them to the home screen and then goes right back to the screen on the picture I posted.

The camera is aftermarket and has been there a while. It is wired but I do not know how. They wired it to a wire pair and ran it back from the tail gate, I am going to need to open the rear interior panel to get a look I guess.

I have one more issue - there is an engine whine in the radio when it is on. No idea how to fix that, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I bought this one:

https://www.seicane.com/android-2003...p-video-s6941g

Old 07-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried this one out by chance? Tesla style screen which also takes care of the HVAC controls.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...lBottomMoreThi...
Old 07-02-2020, 08:55 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sid3ways
Has anyone tried this one out by chance? Tesla style screen which also takes care of the HVAC controls.

Interesting! That would take care of my damaged radio trim (from removing so many times) but I'm not sure about turning over my HVAC controls to AliExpress.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:09 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Merk
Interesting! That would take care of my damaged radio trim (from removing so many times) but I'm not sure about turning over my HVAC controls to AliExpress.
While I'm not a huge fan of the HVAC controls on the cayenne, after 15yrs of driving 955's I'm very used to them and I think it would be pretty hard getting used to a touch screen replacement. I took a hard look at the controls and I'm not convinced it supports 4 zone correctly. I love the split screen. Would be amazing to have Waze going constantly and not have to flip back and forth. Also looks to me though that the width with this orientation the screen is smaller left-right so the effective screen size for prime video or netflix which I actually use a lot would be smaller. Not a huge deal, just noted. My current droid head unit from seicane is several years old and only android 4.1.1 so I expect it to die eventually. Hopefully there will be plenty of reviews on this by then. I'm not 100% sold just yet. It LOOKS great. Just not sure having would be so great as wanting.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:50 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sid3ways

I like it. Touch screen for climate control is fine with me. The only thing I don't like, is that the ashtray has to be removed. Even though I switched to Iqos and heets, I still like to put my heet sticks in the ashtray. I also noticed that the CANBUS box doesn't come with it. They sell it separately for $40. I put it on my wish list anyway.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:03 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Just checked their web store and don't see this product available any longer??

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gro...643b2f314Ubjj5
Old 07-27-2020, 05:40 PM
ulflun
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any news? Thinking of a 9inch unit. I'd like to "future proof" mine with PX6, in order to get custom firmwares.
Also - 9" in vs 8" - most 9" screens seems to be 1024x600 resolution vs 8" inch 1280x800. Any thoughts?

My notes so far:
- Malaysk's / Hal9k custom seem to be a popular ROM from xda-developer forum
- PX30/ PX5 / PX6 seem to be able to get Android 10 (in order to use voice command steering - "hey google")

- 8 or 9 inch+ (1280x800 on 8" vs 9" 1024x600) - what is best? best unit would be one with PX6 + IPS + 9" 1280x800 but they seem rare and do not come with Cayenne-frames.
- Bluetooth 5.0 (there is BT 3+4 out there) for most stable phone connections
- DAB+ is required for me in Europe (digital radio receiver)
- MOST adapter is only needed for BOSE-systems (?)
-
OWTOSIN system with PX6 and 8" seems very popular in the Porsche 996/997 with PCM 2.1 (same as my Cayenne). However, the seller have no Cayenne frame with this unit.

Last edited by ulflun; 07-28-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:22 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had Android head units in 4 different cars Removing the OEM stereo and replacing it with a headunit running Android, is one of the first things I do when after buying a car. Yes, the quality is not as good as a Kenwood or Pioneer would be, but those guys don't make head units that run off of Android. Until they do, these Chinese made units are what I will be buying. I was considering buying a Tesla a little while back. I did some research, and found that it would be impossible to replace the head unit in a Tesla with an Android unit. I also discovered, that Tesla doesn't even have an app store. I quickly knocked Tesla off my list. There IS a new EV coming out called the Polestar 2 that will have as standard, a stereo running off of Android. If I ever buy an EV, it will be that one.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:29 PM
ulflun
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up ordering 8" instead of 9" for my Porsche Cayenne 2008, Owtosin from China Car Audio: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...51954c4dbV0sWa

A 8" 1280*720P PX6 4G+64G GPS Bluetooth 5.0 DSP with a 4G LTE SIM card slot

It has two USB ports, I will use one for DAB+ radio and one for a Apple Wireless CarPlay dongle (Carilink https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...626d4c4dBF7GMr)

I will look into the need of rear and front camera. I've seen different installation manuals where some people put the external antennas over the driver sides dashboard rather than central one, I'll look into what will be the best. Someone has experience installing the external mic? Best location?

Old 08-25-2020, 11:11 AM
jacqueusi
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Xtrons - Failed install 2X

HELP!!! What in the world am I doing wrong?!?! :-(

Amateur radio installer decades ago. It can't be this hard?!?!

First off, PROPS to the contributors of the multiple Android install threads on RL. This is dsfhsdafhs's install video on YouTube and the write-up on RL inspired me.

My situation, new owner of a 2006 CTT, non-S. I ordered the XTRONS Android 10 Car Stereo Radio Player GPS Navigation 9 Inch Touch Screen Head Unit Support Android Auto Bluetooth Backup Camera DVR OBD TPMS for Porsche Cayenne with Optical Fiber Decoder Included head unit (HU) from Amazon.com for $369.99 less 5% off coupon. Despite being shipped from Hong Kong, the unit arrived in less that 5 days via FedEx. Quality boxing job and the unit itself looks SOOOOO clean in the dash. Perfect fit.

Kit came with all the basic harnesses and MOST adapter. Still need to order the dual FAKRA adapter, MAYBE a relay and other misc. for the backup camera.

I followed the instructions on the install video and on RL regarding wiring. Soldered the red and black wires, and soldered a bullet connector salvaged from the extra harness that shipped with the unit.

I MAXED out the old radio, shutdown CTT, pulled fuses, and started my upgrade. Step one was just to get power to the HU. No additional accessories installed: No GPS antennae, only one FAKRA connection, and no camera. I put fuses back, started car up and NOTHING on the HU side. No buzz, no lights, no smoke, nothing. Took out the multimeter and 12V+ at where the harnesses meet the adapters. I also confirmed 12V+ at the harness ends that plug into the HU. MUST BE A DEAD HU, bummer. So I ordered another HU that arrived yesterday. Quick plug-in and same thing, no power. Please note, while working through this I reached out to XTRONS support which is almost worthless. I also bypassed the MOST adapter, connecting the RED amp line to the YELLOW constant 12V line and again, nothing from either HU. Lastly, I swapped out all the adapters and harnesses that came with the HU, tested for continuity and power. Frustrated I put the old unit back and am contemplating my next move.

Attached are pics for your perusal. WORST case, if I can't get this working I at least confirmed Xtron's aren't compatible with Porsche 955 Bose equipped vehicles. BEST case, the group will have another choice of Android HU's to chose from, and from a more "reputable" middle party, Amazon.com.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jacqueusi; 08-25-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 08-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jacqueusi
First off, PROPS to the contributors of the multiple Android install threads on RL. This is dsfhsdafhs's install video on YouTube and the write-up on RL inspired me.
Haha I'm glad my YouTube video inspired you. PM me your contact info and let's see if I can walk you through it.

Last edited by Jonathan H; 08-25-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:09 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

HELP!!! What in the world am I doing wrong?!?!
I MAXED out the old radio, shutdown CTT, pulled fuses, and started my upgrade. Step one was just to get power to the HU. No additional accessories installed: No GPS antennae, only one FAKRA connection, and no camera. I put fuses back, started car up and NOTHING on the HU side. No buzz, no lights, no smoke, nothing. Took out the multimeter and 12V+ at where the harnesses meet the adapters. I also confirmed 12V+ at the harness ends that plug into the HU. MUST BE A DEAD HU, bummer. So I ordered another HU that arrived yesterday. Quick plug-in and same thing, no power. Please note, while working through this I reached out to XTRONS support which is almost worthless. I also bypassed the MOST adapter, connecting the RED amp line to the YELLOW constant 12V line and again, nothing from either HU. Lastly, I swapped out all the adapters and harnesses that came with the HU, tested for continuity and power. Frustrated I put the old unit back and am contemplating my next move.
Also, did you watch these videos in the comments of the YouTube video? Might shed some light.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zeEWkQJHqs25tLz1A
Old 08-25-2020, 03:48 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HELP!!! What in the world am I doing wrong?!?! :-(

Amateur radio installer decades ago. It can't be this hard?!?!

My situation, new owner of a 2006 CTT, non-S. I ordered the XTRONS Android 10 Car Stereo Radio Player GPS Navigation 9 Inch Touch Screen Head Unit Support Android Auto Bluetooth Backup Camera DVR OBD TPMS for Porsche Cayenne with Optical Fiber Decoder Included head unit (HU) from Amazon.com for $369.99 less 5% off coupon. Despite being shipped from Hong Kong, the unit arrived in less that 5 days via FedEx. Quality boxing job and the unit itself looks SOOOOO clean in the dash. Perfect fit.

Kit came with all the basic harnesses and MOST adapter. Still need to order the dual FAKRA adapter, MAYBE a relay and other misc. for the backup camera.

I followed the instructions on the install video and on RL regarding wiring. Soldered the red and black wires, and soldered a bullet connector salvaged from the extra harness that shipped with the unit.

Attached are pics for your perusal. WORST case, if I can't get this working I at least confirmed Xtron's aren't compatible with Porsche 955 Bose equipped vehicles. BEST case, the group will have another choice of Android HU's to chose from, and from a more "reputable" middle party, Amazon.com.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see a canbus decoder or the canbus wire in your photos?
My Android needed a wire other than the usual always hot (red/yellow) and ground (brown). I had to have a wakeup signal from the canbus decoder to turn the android on. Otherwise it would be on all the time, since it's wired to the always hot.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:28 AM
bobbyjimmy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Edit - NVM...

Last edited by bobbyjimmy; 09-13-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review