Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 10:30 PM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by malahhaor
My 2008 GTS had CDR23 radio and had the fiber optic wire in the back as well yet I do not have Bose or an amp in the back.
I could not detect any activity on the fiber optic (visualy one of the wires will have a light shining through if its in use)
I just coverd it with tape and left it unplugged and everything works fine.

ok. Great! Good to know. I’ll try tomorrow then.

I have all ready to go.
just wondering what to do with the fiber optic cable.

I will connect the main cable and the other stuff (usb, antenna, etc etc) and will see if the radio will turn on.

I’ll keep you posted.

thanks for your help so far.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:35 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

I also had only one antenna connection so didnt need a double split fakra.
And reception is horrific.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:50 PM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

I also had only one antenna connection so didnt need a double split fakra.
And reception is horrific.
To avoid that I have purchased the fakra adaptor. Is has a double male on 1 side and a single plug on the other.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Fakra-t...53.m2749.l2649

Old 02-02-2020, 11:17 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Brummel
To avoid that I have purchased the fakra adaptor. Is has a double male on 1 side and a single plug on the other.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Fakra-t...53.m2749.l2649
Have you checked your connections first? I litteraly had no second antenna cable to plug it in to so I returned it.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:24 PM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

Have you checked your connections first? I litteraly had no second antenna cable to plug it in to so I returned it.
The Original OEM Porsche PCM unit has 2 Fakra antennas. The adaptor I have purchased serves to convert those 2 antennas into the single one we all have behind the Android unit.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:19 AM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

ok. Great! Good to know. I’ll try tomorrow then.

I have all ready to go.
just wondering what to do with the fiber optic cable.

I will connect the main cable and the other stuff (usb, antenna, etc etc) and will see if the radio will turn on.

I’ll keep you posted.

thanks for your help so far.
As you suggested the optic fibre plug is just useless. lol
I have disconnected all the original plugs from behind the PCM and connected them to the harness provided. I have also connected the small box and "et voila". IT ALL WORKS including seeing wheel's controls.

Now I have 2 problems

A) The Reversing Camera -> the one they sent me is useless. Is has the same size of the plate light but it does NOT have any light for the plate...lol
I cannot therefore use it.
I am looking for something the has both rev-camera and plate light together.
In the meantime I'll wire the car. What is a bit annoying me atm is that every time I reverse the Radio goes automatically in "reverse mode" and therefor the screen goes black....I hate that.

B) USB connection. The unit has a cable with 3 USB female connectors namely USB-3G, DVR & DVD. I assume that the 3G is for the Internet dongle. The DVR should be for e camera. I thought that DVD should work but it does NOT. If I plug the phone nothing happens.

Anyway.
Well done me today.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:04 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta
That's weird that you have the orange fiberoptic wires, but not a bose system. Maybe you actually do, but someone swapped out the speaker grills? I don't know, but it sounds like you will need the most adapter if you don't see any speaker wires back there..

my internal mic works fine, but the plug in one works better, and is better for both OK Google and Alexa detection.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with connecting an ipod to it. Just store all of more music on a thumb drive, and tuck it into the ashtray or something. I have a 64GB USB drive full of music, and it works great with the built in music player.

Best of luck with it... I love mine!
I have the fiber optic connection, CD changer and navigation DVD. I just knew I had the Bose system. Nope. I don't. Not a Bose system, and NO external amplifier. The connector that is in the middle of the harness(the orange one) for the PCM has 8 speaker wires, to drive the front and rear speakers. Luckily I discovered this before I completely tore apart the rear of my 2008 Cayenne looking for an amplifier. Also, my non-Bose system, does not have the center dash speaker, nor the rear D-pillar speakers, even though there are speaker covers in those locations. So 3 speakers for front left and front right, 2 speakers each for the rear, and a woofer on the trunk passenger side. Since there are only enough speaker wires for 4 channels, I guess they are using crossovers to run 10 speakers, plus the woofer.

It was pretty much plug and play. Even though I will be adding two amps, a subwoofer, and replacing all the speakers; for now, I just plugged everything in(including the speaker wire connection), and everything works good, including the radio. I needed the Fakra splitter though. I never actually listen to the radio, I just prefer that everything works.

As far as the Ipod goes, unless the head unit says that it supports Ipod, then plugging it into the USB connection will NOT work. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Thanks for the tip about the mic. On the previous 4 Android head units I have installed, I hooked up the supplied external mic. I haven't bothered to connect it on this one, because I was wondering if it was really necessary. Guess I will have to find a path to wire it up now.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:11 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Have you checked your connections first? I literally had no second antenna cable to plug it in to so I returned it.
Good point about checking what you have first before buying things. Before my head unit arrived I bought an adapter that was a standard motorola antenna to dual fakra. When my Android head unit arrived, I discovered that the head unit had a fakra connection for the antenna, not the standard motorola connection. So I had order a single to dual fakra adapter. Also, if I had planned on keeping the Bose system(that I thought I had), I would have wasted money buying a MOST box for my non-Bose system that doesn't even have an external amplifier. My fiber connection is only used for the CD changer and DVD navigation.

It is weird that all the wiring diagrams out on the internet are only for the Bose system, as if that is the only thing that was sold.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

Looking to fix the revers camera.
Anyone has a model to suggest?
I am looking for the camera that comes as part of the plate light.
I have seen a few models online.

Any particular one you have in your car and you would like to recommend?

I will start tomorrow by passing all the wires

Also need to understand how to connect an iPhone using the usb.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:11 PM
sgtm7
Advanced

What is a bit annoying me atm is that every time I reverse the Radio goes automatically in "reverse mode" and therefor the screen goes black....I hate that.
I hooked mine up in prep for installing my back up camera, but seeing the screen go black doesn't bother me, because it lets me know I have it connected correctly and that it works. If it bothers you, you can just disconnect the "Reverse In" wire that you have connected at the head unit.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:25 PM
sgtm7
Advanced

Also need to understand how to connect an iPhone using the usb.
You need to buy an Carplay adapter. One end of the adapter plugs into the Iphone, the other end plugs into the USB port of the head unit. The app is probably pre-installed on the head unit, but if it isn't you will need to install the app on the head unit.

Examples of what you need:
Amazon Amazon

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...5d750c8c359f09

Old 02-04-2020, 07:52 AM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

Originally Posted by sgtm7
I hooked mine up in prep for installing my back up camera, but seeing the screen go black doesn't bother me, because it lets me know I have it connected correctly and that it works. If it bothers you, you can just disconnect the "Reverse In" wire that you have connected at the head unit.
You are right. It meant it works but it is a bit annoying particularly while parking in narrow spots.
I have spent a bit of time today setting the unit and Have found that little, nice, setting......Thanks for your tip.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:57 PM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

You need to buy an Carplay adapter. One end of the adapter plugs into the Iphone, the other end plugs into the USB port of the head unit. The app is probably pre-installed on the head unit, but if it isn't you will need to install the app on the head unit.

Examples of what you need: https://www.amazon.com/Vapeart-Carpl...0786595&sr=8-4

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...5d750c8c359f09

Thanks for your message.
I can buy the dongle and install the SW (not currently into the unit) not a big problem.
As fa as I understand is that, to use the iPhone I have to use the ApplePlay that is sort of alternative to the Android OS of the unit.
And I cannot, therefore use the Navi I have but I must "switch" from Android to Apple. Is that correct?

It somehow explains that, If I plugged in the phone or the iPod to the USB sockets they were both charging
But of course It also appears to me that, for example, is I am using the GPS App I have as part of the Pre Installed Android SW I cannot use the iPhone using the Apple Play.

It makes thing a big not practical.

I was hopping there is a way to use the iPhone under Android using some Android app granting me direct access to the iPhone music library.

I can currently listen to the music in my phone via bluetooth but the quality is a bit poor (USB grants a better quality) and I also have to use the phone to surf the libraries.

Any other way to do it?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:13 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Thanks for your message.
I can buy the dongle and install the SW (not currently into the unit) not a big problem.
As fa as I understand is that, to use the iPhone I have to use the ApplePlay that is sort of alternative to the Android OS of the unit.
And I cannot, therefore use the Navi I have but I must "switch" from Android to Apple. Is that correct?

It somehow explains that, If I plugged in the phone or the iPod to the USB sockets they were both charging
But of course It also appears to me that, for example, is I am using the GPS App I have as part of the Pre Installed Android SW I cannot use the iPhone using the Apple Play.

It makes thing a big not practical.

I was hopping there is a way to use the iPhone under Android using some Android app granting me direct access to the iPhone music library.

I can currently listen to the music in my phone via bluetooth but the quality is a bit poor (USB grants a better quality) and I also have to use the phone to surf the libraries.

Any other way to do it?
My understanding, is that when you use the adapter for Apple carplay or Android Auto, the headunit becomes a copy of your phone, so you would be limited to what you have on your phone. To be honest, since I don't use Iphones, I am not real familar with the ins and outs of using Apple Car play(or Android Auto). I only know about it, because almost every seller touts the fact that it is carplay compatible, and they offer to sell you the adapter. For me, any app I want, I just go to the Playstore and install it on the head unit. For music, I use Spotify and Deezer, or my Ipod(on units that are compatible). The Wondefoo unit I got is not compatible with Ipod, but since it is an Ipod Classic, I will probably just copy all the songs off of it onto a USB flash drive, and listen to those songs through the built in music player. Alternately, both Spotify and Deezer allow you to upload your own music and create playlists from the music you upload.

Slight clarification. Do you want to use your Iphone or your Ipod? The Carplay adapter is for Iphones, not for Ipods. The Ipod will only work with the Android headunits if they are Ipod compatible. The first Android headunit I bought was Ipod compatible, but nowadays, most of them are not compatible. For Ipod music, you are going to have to copy the music off of the Ipod to another source.

Something I just thought of regarding an Ipod. I believe there is a way to sync your Itunes Library with Apple Music. The Google Play store has an Apple Music App. That would probably be easier and quicker than the other options I discussed above.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:13 PM
Lord Brummel
Track Day

My understanding, is that when you use the adapter for Apple carplay or Android Auto, the headunit becomes a copy of your phone, so you would be limited to what you have on your phone. To be honest, since I don't use Iphones, I am not real familar with the ins and outs of using Apple Car play(or Android Auto). I only know about it, because almost every seller touts the fact that it is carplay compatible, and they offer to sell you the adapter. For me, any app I want, I just go to the Playstore and install it on the head unit. For music, I use Spotify and Deezer, or my Ipod(on units that are compatible). The Wondefoo unit I got is not compatible with Ipod, but since it is an Ipod Classic, I will probably just copy all the songs off of it onto a USB flash drive, and listen to those songs through the built in music player. Alternately, both Spotify and Deezer allow you to upload your own music and create playlists from the music you upload.

Slight clarification. Do you want to use your Iphone or your Ipod? The Carplay adapter is for Iphones, not for Ipods. The Ipod will only work with the Android headunits if they are Ipod compatible. The first Android headunit I bought was Ipod compatible, but nowadays, most of them are not compatible. For Ipod music, you are going to have to copy the music off of the Ipod to another source.

Something I just thought of regarding an Ipod. I believe there is a way to sync your Itunes Library with Apple Music. The Google Play store has an Apple Music App. That would probably be easier and quicker than the other options I discussed above.

Thanks for your very detailed reply.
I have finally gave up the idea of connecting my spare iPhone to the Android unit.
In my former car the OEM Infotainement unit allowed me to connect my iPhone via bluetooth alongside with other devices either via RCA and USB
I then used my phone only as a phone and a spare old iPhone for music purposes.
The "music iPhone"was connected via USB (inside the armrest). Its music lybrary was automatically synchronised via iTunes
The Phone was used as a Phone.
Bluetooth connections are poor quality (compared with USB) and above all they very demanding battery wise.
The music phone was of course charged via usb.
And I had full control of all the libraries using the car's joystick

This seems now impossible as Android does NOT allow the control the iPhone via USB and the Bluetooth audio doesn't allow access to the several libraries via the unit. I can only surf the memory of my phone...using he phone.

Anyway, I will connect the 2 usb behind the android unit. I will connect an Internet USB dongle to one of the sockets and will connect the other (with an extension usb lead/socket) into the lower armrest. I will then decide what to do between keep using my mail phone via bluetooth or using a usb memory stick.

If I'll find a way to sync a usb memory stick with iTunes I will be the happiest person on this planet.
All my music has been downloaded and organised at home with iTunes and then made available in every room (I have a Bang & Olufsen devices in every room and they are all connected with a central "unit" compatible with iTunes.
All our computers and laptops are Apple as like as all he phones......
All is synchronised.
I would be delighted to use the same archive in my car without using my phone or better, by using the spare phone or another iPod.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review