Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:31 PM
destence
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2009 GTS 9 inch radio install - usb bluetooth question.

Just installed the 9 inch radio, will post some notes later. Has anyone used this unit with the iPhone 6s+? When I try to stream music via bluetooth the song breaks up every 20 seconds or so. Bluetooth phone connection seems to work fine.
A friends Samsung s7 seems to stream bluetooth music just fine.

I also can't seem to play music from my iPhone via a USB connection which would be great for me... has anyone had success using this method?

I would prefer to use apple music as we are an all Apple house, we have all our playlists there. That's why I want to use bluetooth or usb

Thanks for the thread!

Last edited by destence; 11-15-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like the MOST adapter are defective. Anywhere else I can buy the MOST adapter? Anyone selling their most adapter?
thanks

Last edited by williamsonoma; 11-22-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:40 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This looks like the same one: http://r.ebay.com/pZp4PB
would be nice to find a 4 channel one.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:23 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I still have the one they sent me that only played through the left speakers. I am not going to spend $40 to ship it back when they never should have sent me a bad one in the first place. It might be fixable... I can open it up and see if there is an obvious fix. At the time I didn't even check because after spending $800 I wasn't going to trace PCB components and test them as a matter of a point.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nodoors
I still have the one they sent me that only played through the left speakers. I am not going to spend $40 to ship it back when they never should have sent me a bad one in the first place. It might be fixable... I can open it up and see if there is an obvious fix. At the time I didn't even check because after spending $800 I wasn't going to trace PCB components and test them as a matter of a point.
DIBS!! hopefully you can fix it.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Success

Here's my quick review
​​​I've had the 9" radio installed in my 06 S w/ Bose for two Days.

The good: Audio quality is way better than the pcm , and I'm an audiophile. Center frequency adjustable band eq is great. That's a semi parametric on 3 bands. Volume is much louder than stock, even though I couldn't do the raise pcm volume trick prior . My pcm was in a boot loop and couldn't startup. I upgraded my stock Bose sub a long time ago with a JL audio 500/1 amp and two 12w 3s in a custom made sealed cab. The bass was always out of proportion with the old pcm at low volume. Now it is linear at all volumes. Impressive!
The included igo GPS software is great and easy. Designed for a car unlike waze and google maps which I tried and don't work well offline. Deleted both. I don't have a mifi.
Spotify offline is great. Loaded off my home WiFi and I play downloaded playlists offline. This sounds great.
The radio works better than the pcm on only one of the two antennas. I used the black one as mentioned here. My splitter isn't here yet and I may not even install.
Screen looks really good. I didn't need the ground loop isolators even though I bought three different types in preparation.

The bad:
Mounting the GPS antenna in the center speaker area required drilling a hole.
Spotify steering controls don't work.
The screen is a little washed out as I look at it from my 6 foot 2 height with the seat up high.
The nav icon somehow mapped to settings? Worked the first time though. Added I go icon right beside it till I figure out.
Radio sometimes had no volume or lost station presets but that all somehow fixed itself. Maybe I did too many commands when it was not fully started up. Works every time now.
The screen brightness only has three levels. Full half or off. It's not that bad though.

Overall it looks amazing. Couldn't look better installed. Really worth it. Hope it lasts. I can't wait to drive and be entertained. YouTube is fun while I wait for my wife to come out to the car in my driveway. Maybe ill add the roomba app and vacuum the house as I'm leaving.

Last edited by Hal 2000; 11-24-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 12-03-2016, 04:06 PM
destence
Instructor

Default IQ Navi

HI guys,

I just installed the IQ Navi Firmware here:
https://yadi.sk/d/q-bbNcFcqZvw2

Now I have no WiFI and bluetooth doesn't work. Can any one point me back to the original Seicane Firmware for reinstall or offer suggestion about the IQ Navi lack of wifi on my system?

Thanks Other wise happy user.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

before downgrading, try to change the car profile. In my experience this is what makes the wifi and BT go out. IF you go to settings, and play around, you will find car profile with a list of cars. There are probably around 3-4 Porsches. Just pick one until everything works.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:21 PM
destence
Instructor

Thank you Vidya! I will give it a try.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:55 PM
destence
Instructor

I saw only one entry for Porsche in the "model" tab. There are several for VW so I tried those .. still no wi-fi. Right now I would just like to revert to the old firmware until I can get this figured out. Any idea where I can find the old Seicane FW?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:37 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

destence, I was just about to upgrade to the IQNavi firmware and checked this thread before doing so! I know others are happily using it, so there must be a setting or config that will work. Please keep looking and keep us updated on your findings.

The reason that I finally went to change the firmware is that the stock Radio app is driving me nuts. It will intermittently for a less than second play audio from a different station every few minutes. At first I thought it might have been the radio station that I was listening to, but it has increased in frequency and happens on all stations. Furthermore, it also will not play the radio after i have started the car until I change the channel or wait 5-10 minutes... I am still happy with the unit overall, but some of these bugs can be annoying as there is no real support for these units and I have not taken the time to really dig into it.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 PM
destence
Instructor

Angry

Thanks nodoors, I will keep trying. I have emailed Secaine and they seem a bit reluctant to send the original firmware, saying that they do not recommend upgrading to begin with. I think they will eventually come through with it.

So far I have reset the unit to factory specs which changed the language to Russian, but I was able to use Google translate to switch the language back to English. Still no wifi though.

Android is a mystery to me! I have looked and looked for some configuration to change, have not been able to find anything as of yet.

My Radio seemed to work fine after the update to IQ Navi but it also worked fine with the original FW.

Have you tried the Ap I-heart radio? It might help as long as you can stream.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

I use the radio ~once a week and haven't experienced anything like that.

I did find a bug the other day that when getting a bluetooth phone call (at night) the screen brightness goes from 50% back to 100% brightness for the duration of the call.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:19 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Originally Posted by kjbu
Too bad it doesn't have DAB+ as option
Just noticed there is a DAB option now:
http://www.seicane.com/brand-new-uni...-240mhz-s46616
Old 12-12-2016, 11:46 PM
destence
Instructor

Here is an update on the install of IQ Navi. Still no WiFi. Bluetooth works. Still no replacement firmware from Secaine. They seem to be ignoring my requests. Will report back as things progress or do not progress. Be very careful about changing firmware based on my experience.

If things are generally working be very slow to make changes. Make sure you have a backup plan if that is even possible with this system.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review