Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:43 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sid3ways
Sorry to sound like an idiot but I haven't looked at the factory amp and how it connects. Running 1 set of RCA cables to the rear with a 5 channel amp would easily allow me to hook up the factory speakers? Do the factory speakers just plug into the amp like normal aftermarket speakers so just unplug the wires or would the wires need to be cut?
No, it is more complicated than that. Bose has this a-hole way of making all the speakers proprietary ohm ratings that don't play well with normal amplifiers. Your best bet is just giving up on hooking up all of the random speakers in the cabin and just doing the sets in the doors and dash. A good amp can handle the nonstandard (and variable) ohm ratings between speakers and be tuned enough to sound better than the factory system.

I posted a link to a thread on pelican where someone outlined this part of the install very, very well. For ideal sound you would probably want to utilize all 5 outputs of the head unit. Front L/R Rear L/R and separate Sub. While you are at it, go ahead and run a 6th RCA for a reverse camera. You could probably get away without the 2 rear channels, but it depends on the 5 channel amp you end up using to replace the bose amp. Our biggest gripe with the Seicane MOST box is that it it only does 2 channel sound adaption into the Bose fiber system which for some reason renders the factory subwoofer impotent and makes the whole thing sound even boomier. Bottom line is that bose sucks. If you really want good sound replace every component in your car (except the factory wiring) and thank yourself later after it is all over. I am sure I will eventually get there, haha. I am more distracted right now by other things, though.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:50 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by georgeramosjr
How different will it be fomr this unit?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-4-4-...-/322175386763
If you have to ask... good luck attempting the install! hehe

The effort required to adapt the steering wheel controls and fabricating the mount and trim into the cayenne dashboard will probably not be worth $400 of your time is my thought.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:41 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like people are receiving defective MOST units from Seicane.
Anywhere else I can order a quality MOST unit instead of the $129 seicane unit?

as of 9/22/2016 the 9 inch seicane unit is out of stock.

On another note, I am using a dash cam that looks stock that I will be using with the seicane.
https://www.amazon.com/CYHY-Car-Dash...s=cyhy+porsche
Old 09-22-2016, 11:42 PM
rude944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Works Great, $340 on Amazon

Thanks to this thread, I had the courage to do this too. I have a 2006 Base, or as we call it, the R32. I ordered this one off Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for a big discount over the price that Seicane has on their site, shipped with a camera and a SD card loaded with maps. I feel I get a bit more purchase protection from Amazon, cause you know... off brand **** from China.

It was sent from Hong Kong, and as some have experienced, it arrived fairly rapidly, especially after the recent storm, it was in my possession in just a few days.

The box is definitely off brand and had a 997 turbo on it, for all the lols. I spent a good hour just understanding the contents of the package, which consists of a handful of harnesses, but in the end I only needed the one simple and short one, and it was ready to go with the steering wheel controls, all speakers, and pretty much everything worked out of the box with a bit of config and initiation. Fit and finish is about a 7 and operation is perhaps an 8 or so. I am a bit disappointed with the usability given the potential of Android 5.1.1, but it's a night and day improvement in the overall experience and it's been pretty solid, overall.

I have some of the larger cables left over if they are needed by someone.
Attached Images   
Old 09-23-2016, 02:59 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you get it for $340?

Originally Posted by rude944
Thanks to this thread, I had the courage to do this too. I have a 2006 Base, or as we call it, the R32. I ordered this one off Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for a big discount over the price that Seicane has on their site, shipped with a camera and a SD card loaded with maps. I feel I get a bit more purchase protection from Amazon, cause you know... off brand **** from China.

It was sent from Hong Kong, and as some have experienced, it arrived fairly rapidly, especially after the recent storm, it was in my possession in just a few days.

The box is definitely off brand and had a 997 turbo on it, for all the lols. I spent a good hour just understanding the contents of the package, which consists of a handful of harnesses, but in the end I only needed the one simple and short one, and it was ready to go with the steering wheel controls, all speakers, and pretty much everything worked out of the box with a bit of config and initiation. Fit and finish is about a 7 and operation is perhaps an 8 or so. I am a bit disappointed with the usability given the potential of Android 5.1.1, but it's a night and day improvement in the overall experience and it's been pretty solid, overall.

I have some of the larger cables left over if they are needed by someone.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A quick question about equalizer settings. Depending on time of day, I will listen to either sports talk or music. It is irritating to need to change equalizer settings when changing stations (all within FM band). Does the Android save the setting based on band or based on station?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:43 PM
rude944
Instructor

That was the price... here's another vendor with it for $360 now: https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Porsch...ayenne+andriod
Old 09-24-2016, 07:34 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not necessary

No, but I listen to rock, pop, rap and, talk radio pretty much equally and happy with one eq setting with a 957 W/bose. I'm pickier about sound quality than anyone I know. YMMV.

Originally Posted by Avec
A quick question about equalizer settings. Depending on time of day, I will listen to either sports talk or music. It is irritating to need to change equalizer settings when changing stations (all within FM band). Does the Android save the setting based on band or based on station?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
No, but I listen to rock, pop, rap and, talk radio pretty much equally and happy with one eq setting with a 957 W/bose. I'm pickier about sound quality than anyone I know. YMMV.
Thats unfortunate. My 96 suburban radio had that feature, but 2008 Porsche doesnt. I really dont see how you listen to music and talk with aame settings, unless you are more easy-listening or jazz. vlassic rock and talk require noticably different EQ settings
Old 09-25-2016, 10:50 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you still using the Porsche PCM radio? Bose doesnt seem to ever use EQs.

Maybe with low fidelity talk radio sources like XM would benefit from multiple EQ presets. I have seen satellite radios with per station EQ settings. Higher bitrate apps like: NPR-one, iHeartRadio talk stations, and SlackerRadio all sound fantastic, and Seciene 9" stereo does not need frequent EQ changes.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I missed it in the thread.

I see it comes with various harnesses. Has anyone eliminated their BOSE amp yet?

Mine is showing an error

Old 10-28-2016, 11:22 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I posted a link somewhere of another guy who did and detailed the whole install. He used a 5 channel amp and used the crap bose speakers despite their proprietary impedance ratings. I will be doing the same when I wire in my reverse camera. I would have loved to record the captain insano guy who was flipping my off and laying on the horn for merging in front of him on the way to the office this morning.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:24 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Also, I can probably rush and do it this weekend if you are interested in going the easy route and buying my factory amp when I replace it.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Also, I can probably rush and do it this weekend if you are interested in going the easy route and buying my factory amp when I replace it.
Thanks. I may consider it as an option.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Default Bose Amp Ok?

My pcm is constantly rebooting and never ever turns on. I want to buy this 9" unit. If my Bose amp worked before the pcm reboot issue, do you think this unit will still be plug and play? Hoping that the bose amp is ok and just pcm needs replacement with this new unit.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review