Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 03:37 PM
gjsauser
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the dash clock? Does that pull the time from this head unit?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:59 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes it does! My cayenne clock has never been this accurate!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:09 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

For those using tasker - does it launch on device boot? I actually want tasker to launch Spotify when I start the car as that's all my wife uses...

Cheers,

Tom
Old 01-31-2017, 12:13 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by psoma
For those using tasker - does it launch on device boot? I actually want tasker to launch Spotify when I start the car as that's all my wife uses...

Cheers,

Tom
Yes, Tasker starts with boot, and it is awesome! When I get in my car every morning, Tasker determines the fastest route home based on current traffic conditions, and announces it to me (much faster than pulling up a map and entering coordinates). I have it set to do the same when I am headed home so that I know whether to take the interstate or another route. When I get home, tasker switches to my home wifi connection and starts syncing my dropbox music files.

Another favorite program of mine is Google Voice search. Set it up so that you can say Okay Google from any screen, and then you can have it open apps or respond to requests without touching anything. For example, Ok Google, give me directions home. or remind me to pick up my dry cleaning tomorrow. Or add milk to my grocery list.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:57 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! I hadn't thought to use Tasker that way. Nice to see that Google is supporting using voice control makes it a better hands free experience while driving.

Little known AND my favorite feature is location based reminders. "OK-Google, remind me to get ____ the next time I am at ____". Next time you pull into that parking lot up pops the reminder. Unfortunately only works for proper names like, "Home Depot" and not "a Hardware store" but still super handy.

Others Ok-Googles I use all the time on this Radio:
1. Navigate to <Made-up Street, Fakesville>
2. Show me the menu for <Joe’s Horribly Expensive Crab Shack>
3. Where is <Hard-to-find Landmark>?
4. What are some attractions around here?
5. Where’s my hotel?
6. Show me my flight info. (Assuming gmail receives you airline confirmation emails)
7. (Otherwise) What is the flight status of <Southwest> flight <652>?
8. Where is the nearest <Italian Restaurant>?
9. Followup questions: “How large is California?”, for example, then you can ask “How many people live there?” and it remembers where THERE is.
10. Replaces Shazam ; “What song is playing?”

I havent played with it, but with the Commandr app can create new voice commands and works with Tasker.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys,

Hmmmm, perhaps its a quirk of version 6, or maybe I need to downgrade to IQ Navi 4.2, but I can't get tasker to run at boot, *nor* will OK Google respond to my voice commands no matter how loud I yell at it.

Once you install IQ Navi hgupta, was it pretty straightforward to get your steering wheel controls, radio, iPod etc. working again?

Cheers,

Tom
Old 02-01-2017, 04:21 PM
gjsauser
Intermediate

I'm between doing an install of this 9" tablet discussed here, or doing one of these and keeping the original PCM https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...product_id=125

What are your biggest issues with doing the android? How does using it effect any other functions in the car?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:54 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by psoma
Thanks guys,

Hmmmm, perhaps its a quirk of version 6, or maybe I need to downgrade to IQ Navi 4.2, but I can't get tasker to run at boot, *nor* will OK Google respond to my voice commands no matter how loud I yell at it.

Once you install IQ Navi hgupta, was it pretty straightforward to get your steering wheel controls, radio, iPod etc. working again?

Cheers,

Tom
That's odd. I can't think of any reason version 6 would be different. Unless it is killing apps for the RAM. Under preferences, ensure that it is set to run in foreground. You should see the persistent tasker notification (lightning bolt) in the notification bar. Also make sure you are not installing it on the SD card.

Use the Monitor Start event under profiles, and set your first task to be something simple (like a beep).

There is a setting in Tasker for allocating more memory to it: - go under Tasker's main Preferences (3-dot menu upper right) and in the Misc Tab un-check the box for "Reduce Resource Usage".

IQ Navi was very,very simple. I did have to do a hard reboot one more time though after installing (unplugging power). Steering wheel and radio worked fine for me, although it did erase my presets. I never used the ipod control and so I can't speak to that.

For google voice search, does it work when you press the icon? If so, then you just need to change the setting to work on all screens.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:58 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by gjsauser
I'm between doing an install of this 9" tablet discussed here, or doing one of these and keeping the original PCM https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...product_id=125

What are your biggest issues with doing the android? How does using it effect any other functions in the car?
It is such a huge improvement over the terrible PCM, there is no way I am going back. The only thing you lose is trip odometer, but there are better apps for that anyways (Mile IQ). Also for me, the bluetooth connection is worse, but I suspect it is my phone that is having the problem.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:30 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I have some odd bugs here and there. Here are my main gripes.

0. Seicane originally threw me for a loop by sending a defective MOST box and refusing to acknowledge such until I threatened Paypal dispute
1. My radio presets will periodically get wiped out
2. I get a brief, intermittent channel switch sometimes when listening to FM radio
3. The boot time sucks
4. Can't figure out why my reverse camera won't turn on when I put car in reverse
5. Sometimes when I switch to reverse camera manually the bottom half of the screen is on the top and top half is on the bottom!
6. Have to fiddle with the bluetooth to get it to connect sometimes
7. Hard to see screen when it is really bright out
8. Screen is too bright at night
9. I lost my factory compass in the gauge cluster
10. Sometimes bluetooth music has static, voice is always good, though

I am happy enough that I will keep it, but it is not all pixie dust and unicorn farts.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

9. I lost my factory compass in the gauge cluster-
06s- using map compas for this
Old 02-02-2017, 12:25 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by nodoors

0. Seicane originally threw me for a loop by sending a defective MOST box and refusing to acknowledge such until I threatened Paypal dispute
2. I get a brief, intermittent channel switch sometimes when listening to FM radio
3. The boot time sucks
4. Can't figure out why my reverse camera won't turn on when I put car in reverse
5. Sometimes when I switch to reverse camera manually the bottom half of the screen is on the top and top half is on the bottom!

I am happy enough that I will keep it, but it is not all pixie dust and unicorn farts.
Wow. I haven't had most of the issues, certainly not 1&2. Boot time is faster if you remove programs from autostarting (including ditching boot animations). I haven't really had an issue since then (and since I rigged it to start up when the door unlocks). . #4 and 5 would be enough for me to return it. The backup camera alone has been worth it. I drop off our kid at school, there always seems to be some dumb parent letting their 4 year old walk behind my car as I am trying to back out of the parking spot. I can't see them through the mirror, but they always show up on the camera.

Yes. the bluetooth audio also sucks.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:24 PM
gjsauser
Intermediate

3. The boot time sucks

Wow. Not really selling me on it, maybe I'll just add bluetooth to the original PCM...
Old 02-02-2017, 03:07 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta
Wow. I haven't had most of the issues, certainly not 1&2. Boot time is faster if you remove programs from autostarting (including ditching boot animations). I haven't really had an issue since then (and since I rigged it to start up when the door unlocks). . #4 and 5 would be enough for me to return it. The backup camera alone has been worth it. I drop off our kid at school, there always seems to be some dumb parent letting their 4 year old walk behind my car as I am trying to back out of the parking spot. I can't see them through the mirror, but they always show up on the camera.

Yes. the bluetooth audio also sucks.

It took a little while for some of them develop and I didn't install the reverse camera until fairly recently, so I had no way of knowing.

I think I saw you mention in the past that wired it up to boot when the doors are unlocked. Was it something like using the footwell light to trigger a relay to power it on? Do the footwell lights stay on during the daytime when the car is running too or did you have to do something else to keep it running once they turn off?
Old 02-02-2017, 04:29 PM
hgupta
Instructor

It took a little while for some of them develop and I didn't install the reverse camera until fairly recently, so I had no way of knowing.

I think I saw you mention in the past that wired it up to boot when the doors are unlocked. Was it something like using the footwell light to trigger a relay to power it on? Do the footwell lights stay on during the daytime when the car is running too or did you have to do something else to keep it running once they turn off?
Yes, I have power to the unit triggered by a relay on the footwell light.
The footwell light goes out after the ignition starts, but by that time, the headunit is getting power from the accessory wire. So the headunit remains powered after the footwell goes off. Everything works as expected. I usually unlock the doors when I am about 20 paces from the car and by the time I am seated and buckled in, it is up and running. Note that there is a delay in the screen not turning off immediately when you remove the key, but it turns off when the car is locked. Frankly, it's a visible reminder to lock the doors.

You should press Seicane for a new canbus module too. Sounds like you got a funky batch.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review