9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:34 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icspres
Luckily my wife is Russian

Seriously, I'm sold. But I'm going to be 50 this year, and stressed as hell, have a very full plate and can't afford the time or the brain cells to screw with all the testing. I also don't want to order my unit from Russia, I don't think. I'd rather order it from China and install this update.

So I need to build a faq here on what needs to happen to get to this point. Looks like I get the head unit and a few options for the CANBUS and OBD2 etc from the manufacturer and we source a few other items like a better GPS antenna, mic, apparently a ground loop isolator whatever that is, etc. Get it all installed and working and then update the software from this Russian outfit? Is that it, done, complete? I really just need this to work and not give me fits, so is this the winning formula?
Yeah, I probably have overwhelmed people with my posts. I enjoy this kind of stuff and figured I would do the testing for all of us.

In the end, I think you should just get it from Seicane. The CANBUS is included and it is already setup for a Porsche. If you have Bose, then you need the Bose fiber optic adapter. Skip the OBD2 and get one from Amazon. I like my OBDLink-LX. If you already have navigation in your car, you don't need a GPS antenna. Yours will probably connect directly. Skip their USB 3G card.

Later, you can install this aftermarket firmware. Even if you don't, the Seicane unit works fantastically out of the box.

Have fun with it!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:58 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta
Yeah, I probably have overwhelmed people with my posts. I enjoy this kind of stuff and figured I would do the testing for all of us.

In the end, I think you should just get it from Seicane. The CANBUS is included and it is already setup for a Porsche. If you have Bose, then you need the Bose fiber optic adapter. Skip the OBD2 and get one from Amazon. I like my OBDLink-LX. If you already have navigation in your car, you don't need a GPS antenna. Yours will probably connect directly. Skip their USB 3G card.

Later, you can install this aftermarket firmware. Even if you don't, the Seicane unit works fantastically out of the box.

Have fun with it!
I get everything you were saying and I could deal with the steps. What would scare me is a cascading effect of whackamole once I start jailbreaking, updating, etc. I am at a point in my life where I try to avoid unnecessary aggravations. So what was the deal with apps just stopping once in a while and needing a reboot? Is it advisable to have some sort of hard reset, pwr switch rigged to be able to reboot once in a while? Thanks for the other advice. I do already have GPS.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:56 PM
hgupta
Instructor

I get everything you were saying and I could deal with the steps. What would scare me is a cascading effect of whackamole once I start jailbreaking, updating, etc. I am at a point in my life where I try to avoid unnecessary aggravations. So what was the deal with apps just stopping once in a while and needing a reboot? Is it advisable to have some sort of hard reset, pwr switch rigged to be able to reboot once in a while? Thanks for the other advice. I do already have GPS.
I get you. So far, there have not been issues that require whackamole if you use built in functions (GPS, Music, Video, Radio). If you want to tinker with settings and make it a productivity tool like I have with calendars, email, and automation, then you obviously get to toy with it. I program so, I love doing things like this.

The apps shutting down only happens after flashing firmware. , the apps will stop and you need to do a full reboot. Other than that, it has been rock stable. I did not have to do a reboot with the IQ Navi firmware.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:09 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

I get you. So far, there have not been issues that require whackamole if you use built in functions (GPS, Music, Video, Radio). If you want to tinker with settings and make it a productivity tool like I have with calendars, email, and automation, then you obviously get to toy with it. I program so, I love doing things like this.

The apps shutting down only happens after flashing firmware. , the apps will stop and you need to do a full reboot. Other than that, it has been rock stable. I did not have to do a reboot with the IQ Navi firmware.
I'd definitely want to get email working on it. Youtube work? Basic browser?

On an aside, Any recommendation for some simple plug and play speaker upgrades? Bose system. What I really want is a much better woofer and some crisper, brighter fronts.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 AM
hgupta
Instructor

I'd definitely want to get email working on it. Youtube work? Basic browser?

On an aside, Any recommendation for some simple plug and play speaker upgrades? What I really want is a much better bass speaker and some crisper, brighter fronts.
Pretty much every app you can think of works. YouTube, Netflix, HBO, Microsoft Office, Facebook. The apps just think it is another tablet. Google Chrome browser is included and works great. You can even make calls with Skype, Facebook, or Hangouts.

Can't help much on the speakers. Personally, I wish I never got the Bose system. I like having full control of all the speaker levels. Even with the Bose system, this head unit sounds pretty good once you get the EQ adjusted. I did read somewhere that you should set the PCM EQ to flat and the Volume pretty loud before pulling it.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:03 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun with it!

Is the mirror link option needed?

thanks
Old 06-27-2016, 02:29 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

I really need this system in my life. I dont understand why my 2008 does not have a audio in option.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:33 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

To confirm, this unit is completely plug and play? No splicing of wires necessary?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:38 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by williamsonoma
Is the mirror link option needed?

thanks
I'd like to understand what that is exactly.

I know what you mean about needing this in your life. My kids have been gaga over our friend's Tesla, all about the screens. The PCM system seems so outdated, IS so outdated. I kept telling myself I could live with it until it died but at this price point, how can you say no. Quality of life is going to improve dramatically.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:23 AM
williamsonoma
Advanced

I'd like to understand what that is exactly.

I know what you mean about needing this in your life. My kids have been gaga over our friend's Tesla, all about the screens. The PCM system seems so outdated, IS so outdated. I kept telling myself I could live with it until it died but at this price point, how can you say no. Quality of life is going to improve dramatically.
Yes which is why I want to make sure I order the correct items. All I have is the "nav-tv tooki" which is a joke.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Headunit is plug and play. The provided fiberoptic bus BOSE amp interface needs 12v and ground spliced. I also recommend planning on a ground loop isolator and that will also need 12v/ground connections spliced too (same connections).

I didnt get the mirror link option, but I understand it to be screen mirroring from your phone to the head unit. This would be useful option if you dont plan on getting mifi hotspot for the car. The 3rd option and probably most popular option is just connecting the phone to the head unit via Bluetooth and using the phone screen to select music (just like every other car stereo).

100% agree, once you have driven in a Tesla S and the Cayenne PCM is unacceptable. The PCM2 was barely passable in 2008.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I got the mirrorlink option as it was only $12 more.

If you have an iphone its pretty useless. It airplays your screen to the system and its lags a lot.

If you have an android, it works over USB and it works amazingly well. It installs an app called drive mode on your phone and it neatly lays out all the features. I thought it was pretty neat for a $12 addition. I tried it with my cousins android when he was here. but it looks like this

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/B9...NNwyYe8Sw=h310
Old 06-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Thanks for posting about the russian firmware! this looks awesome! have you been able to change the boot logo?

Is this just a system update? no MCU update needed rt?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Awesome! I just installed the russian firmware. It was already rooted, so installing the revolving porsche boot animation was a breeze.

Hgupta, can you send some pics of how you have the exdialer and contacts setup?
Old 06-28-2016, 01:01 PM
WarpedWheel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I missing something obvious....???
I've got it in and working well, except the bluetooth. It connects to my phone and will play, pause, next song etc., but I get no sound. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review