Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Nashville993, I feel bad for you! They charged you $3k in labor and parts to determine the engine is bad? Wow! Exactly the reason why I work on my own car. I would never bring a car back to them if I were you. Sounds like they don't know what they are doing. If you really owe them $3k, I would probably tell them to keep the car and start over. Nice Cayenne Turbo's are now $15k-$17k.
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-07-2022)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashville993
2012 Cayenne VR V6 with 67,000 starts misfiring badly. Thinking it’s the high pressure fuel pump failing that was just replaced a few months ago I limp to the dealership a few miles away. Initially they tell me ignition coils, then no compression in one cylinders....After a month I’m told exhaust valve spring failure which caused major damage to cylinder head. Local machine shop can’t repair. $22k for dealership to put long block in. I’m probably going to have to settle with dealership for $3k then put on flat bed to German Performance options to put rebuilt V6 in for $10k-$12k. I’m trusting dealership inherently here. Any advice if this could be cylinder scoring issue?
Hi Nashville (name?)

You might try posting this as a standalone post to the 958 subforum. This is the 955 subforum - and they're different engines to some extent. You might get more targeted answers if people with the same generation Cayenne looked at it. I'd suggest titling it something like "2012 V6 - engine failure?".. you can find that subforum at: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-242/

To answer your question - in general the V6 are immune from cylinder scoring. They may have other problems - but I personally can't recall any reported cases of cylinder scoring, and since the V6 is the biggest selling model of the Cayenne, if it happened it probably would have surfaced as a topic already.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:20 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Is there any data or educated assumptions which 955's in what conditions are most prone?
Old 06-05-2018, 11:28 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Is there any data or educated assumptions which 955's in what conditions are most prone?
From what I've been told by my dealer, the cars in/from colder climates are more prone due to cold-start oil starvation.

Perhaps Jake can comment on this as he may have a better statistical sample.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

It's a machining tolerance issue. Turbo is not even immune, although it is not as common, due to the BDC oil squirters.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Driftah
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Have a good read through this thread. I know it's a long thread but there is a lot of good information. Especially the last 10 pages.

Ceratec would in some cases help prevent damage if used on an engine that has no issues. It may even help mine last a little longer.
Though as Carl has said, once metal is coming off it's not going back on. I don't expect it to do any repairing.

I will give Ceratec a try though because it's still a ticking noise, so hopefully it will keep going for a while. Its not worth the cost of getting it fixed, I'd have to ship engine from New Zealand to US.
I'll just drive it till it dies and then sell parts from it.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

We repair fewer turbo's than non-Turbo's, but in the same statistical percentage that there are fewer turbo's sold. I'd have to say, I have not seen a Cayenne for 2011 or newer with this problem. Lots of 2004 to 2008's, fewer 2009 and 2010 (but some) and none since 2011.

The following 2 users liked this post by Carl Fausett:
Cayenne Turbo 09 (08-03-2023), lkraav (08-07-2022)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by reachme
I got a new 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition with upgunned Triton V8. It developed scored cylinders after about 80,000 miles and the dealer covered it under warranty with some pressure since it was a common issue, I was shocked.

I then got a new 2010 Honda Pilot EX V8 and at about 80,000 miles there was a well known issue where cylinders get scored and after some pressure the dealer stepped up and rebuilt the engine, I was less shocked.

Now I have an 04 Cayenne Turbo (used) and if the cylinders get scored I will get it fixed, I will not be shocked at all.

I know this post is old but I had to..... Honda Pilot EX V8. I'd love to see that engine. It would be a one off for sure.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 AM
SeedSmith
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Porsche cayenne ticking

I too have a 2004 porsche cayenne s that has a loud ticking in the engine. People are rather concerned about the condition of my vechile. However, if i couldnt hear the ticking, I would never know something was wrong with it. Runs like a dream! She does go through coolant rather quickly. I'll assume it's the same problem as others and is because of the coolant pipes. Helpful forum. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by SeedSmith
I too have a 2004 porsche cayenne s that has a loud ticking in the engine. People are rather concerned about the condition of my vechile. However, if i couldnt hear the ticking, I would never know something was wrong with it. Runs like a dream! She does go through coolant rather quickly. I'll assume it's the same problem as others and is because of the coolant pipes. Helpful forum. Thank you!
Sounds like classic bore scoring.. We have one remaining engine in stock for your Cayenne. We don’t plan to build any more Cayenne engines.
Not cheap- No compromises, and equipped with Nickies cylinders.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:36 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Sounds like classic bore scoring.. We have one remaining engine in stock for your Cayenne. We don’t plan to build any more Cayenne engines.
Not cheap- No compromises, and equipped with Nickies cylinders.
Is that because they are "unsatisfying" to build, because RND has actually completed taking over the program, or because there is a lack of customer base willing to spend $10k on an engine for a $5k vehicle?

Funny you would cease production when they are popping up weekly. Just curious. I'm not insulting. I actually know what it takes to build a Cayenne engine and for 99% of owners the numbers won't make sense. And, that's not even getting into the top end.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Is that because they are "unsatisfying" to build, because RND has actually completed taking over the program, or because there is a lack of customer base willing to spend $10k on an engine for a $5k vehicle?

Funny you would cease production when they are popping up weekly. Just curious. I'm not insulting. I actually know what it takes to build a Cayenne engine and for 99% of owners the numbers won't make sense. And, that's not even getting into the top end.
We love to build them..
The vehicles have lost so much value that very few people want to save them when bore scoring strikes. We sold the program for these off to RND two years ago, and these engines are what we had left over. They’ve literally been on the shelf for over 2 years..
Old 04-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well my wife' 2006 S with 130+ K miles developed an issue similar (knocking sound) to several other posts.

After Checking for engine noise, which was audible from the driver side bank from the front we were told that it is the location of the cam adjuster. (Typical failure point)
So the shop removed valve cover for checking cam adjuster. No problem found. After further diagnosis. (leak down test) a high leak down and damaged plug was found on cylinder number 5. They looked to see if it a build up on the intake valve, or cylinder damage? Removed the intake manifold to visually inspect. After inspection the #5 cylinder wall was found badly scored. Possible piston slap or most likely a broken ring. To determine further, a full teardown would be necessary.At this point we decided to stop and consider either selling as is for parts or drive until the car literally stops working (not really a fan of this) and later this year get something new.I hate to see our Cayenne being teared into parts but hard to justify a new engine, labor (removing plus installing new engine)...but not 100% against it just yet.Glad that I found this thread.Anyone recently went through the engine replacement?
Old 04-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sancho22
Well my wife' 2006 S with 130+ K miles developed an issue similar (knocking sound) to several other posts.

After Checking for engine noise, which was audible from the driver side bank from the front we were told that it is the location of the cam adjuster. (Typical failure point)
So the shop removed valve cover for checking cam adjuster. No problem found. After further diagnosis. (leak down test) a high leak down and damaged plug was found on cylinder number 5. They looked to see if it a build up on the intake valve, or cylinder damage? Removed the intake manifold to visually inspect. After inspection the #5 cylinder wall was found badly scored. Possible piston slap or most likely a broken ring. To determine further, a full teardown would be necessary.At this point we decided to stop and consider either selling as is for parts or drive until the car literally stops working (not really a fan of this) and later this year get something new.I hate to see our Cayenne being teared into parts but hard to justify a new engine, labor (removing plus installing new engine)...but not 100% against it just yet.Glad that I found this thread.Anyone recently went through the engine replacement?
This is a classic case of bore scoring.. Classic.
Your thoughts are the same as most every Cayenne owner we talk to.

If you love the car, and plan on long term ownership, then I have an answer. If not, parting it out is the only way out. Buying a cheap engine, or a used engine will put you right back where you are today. You have to experience that poor decision to understand it.. You’ve got one chance for a wise decision. Just one.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:00 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
This is a classic case of bore scoring.. Classic.
Your thoughts are the same as most every Cayenne owner we talk to.

If you love the car, and plan on long term ownership, then I have an answer. If not, parting it out is the only way out. Buying a cheap engine, or a used engine will put you right back where you are today. You have to experience that poor decision to understand it.. You’ve got one chance for a wise decision. Just one.

I am curious what the short block go's for. You can pm me if you like.

I'm assuming that the package uses your custom sleeves which are Nikasil Plated steel/ductile iron, Custom CP pistons, CPN Rings, standard pins? How about the rod and main bearings? Porsche? Uncoated or coated? Were you able to achieve what you wanted using low tension rings?

Quick Reply: Cayenne Engine Replacement