Sponsored by:

Cayenne Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 09:56 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Check with Flat6 Innovations. He'd know.
Ok thx.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:44 PM
DeafCat
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scored then punched 08 Cayenne S

I see this forum has not been active for a while. Here goes:
I have a 2008 Cayenne S with 105K miles. Go the knocking noise in July, and now in December, threw a piston rod. As you can see by the miles, I am way out of warranty and also the 3rd owner. But I notice some have tried contacting Porsche for some resolution or compensation. What is the process?

In the mean time, the dealership will not install a used engine. They would prefer a short block at $28K or long block at $45K, both well over the value of my sport pig if in top condition. I have found an 09 with 60K miles and a shop willing to do the replacement. But that's going to reach the $13-15K check book draft.

What is your process for reaching out to Porsche for help?
Thanks.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:10 PM
SimonBelgium
Cruisin'

2010 Cayenne S, 102K miles.
Replaced coils about 1000 miles ago, then without warning, a loud ticking sound. Had it trailered to the dealership, they think it's a valve lifter that broke. Cilinder walls scored, was quoted 24K replacement cost for the engine.
As it's over 100K miles, Porsche won't even accept a goodwill claim.
I bought the car 6 months ago with about 95K. 2months later the coils failed, and now this. So far for "there is no substitute"...
Old 12-19-2015, 10:14 PM
SimonBelgium
Cruisin'

Does anyone know if there's a company that will rebuild the 4.8S engine? Like SharkWerks do the 3.9 and 4.1 engines for the 911 perhaps? Might be cheaper than buying a used 4.8 (about 8K) and having it installed (but by whom?)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:52 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonBelgium
2010 Cayenne S, 102K miles.
Replaced coils about 1000 miles ago, then without warning, a loud ticking sound. Had it trailered to the dealership, they think it's a valve lifter that broke. Cilinder walls scored, was quoted 24K replacement cost for the engine.
As it's over 100K miles, Porsche won't even accept a goodwill claim.
I bought the car 6 months ago with about 95K. 2months later the coils failed, and now this. So far for "there is no substitute"...
2010 are different engines from the 955's that have issues on v8's in cold weather......
Old 12-21-2015, 10:55 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know if there's a company that will rebuild the 4.8S engine? Like SharkWerks do the 3.9 and 4.1 engines for the 911 perhaps? Might be cheaper than buying a used 4.8 (about 8K) and having it installed (but by whom?)
If you look 1 page prior to this..........Flat6 does on 955. If you have a 2010 its 957 or 958....it is mentioned to be much more affordable than you are stating..

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post12438813
Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DeafCat
I see this forum has not been active for a while. Here goes:
I have a 2008 Cayenne S with 105K miles. Go the knocking noise in July, and now in December, threw a piston rod. As you can see by the miles, I am way out of warranty and also the 3rd owner. But I notice some have tried contacting Porsche for some resolution or compensation. What is the process?

In the mean time, the dealership will not install a used engine. They would prefer a short block at $28K or long block at $45K, both well over the value of my sport pig if in top condition. I have found an 09 with 60K miles and a shop willing to do the replacement. But that's going to reach the $13-15K check book draft.

What is your process for reaching out to Porsche for help?
Thanks.
Please read the posts...
Old 12-21-2015, 12:26 PM
SimonBelgium
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cordsig79
If you look 1 page prior to this..........Flat6 does on 955. If you have a 2010 its 957 or 958....it is mentioned to be much more affordable than you are stating..

Thanks, sent Jake Raby an email.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:40 PM
SimonBelgium
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Sniffer
i firmly believe that the factory offered Webasto auxiliary heater would pretty much eliminate this issue

The stand alone heater brings the engine up to a decent temperature before the vehicle starts meaning no parts have to move when they are still super cold & tight.

I imagine this means that the oil is heated to some degree too which should make it flow a little easier and protect a little more

My $0.02......
Webasto if fairly well known and popular in Europe. You can retrofit them to pretty much any engine. From memory, they slot in between the oil filter and the block. They can then heat oil and warm up the cabin. You will often see Mercedes G class in Europe fitted with them from the factory.
If I lived in a worse climate than the PNW I would install a unit in every car, if not only for engine protection, for the added benefit of not having to defrost the car every day. They come with a remote these days
Heat is provided through burning some fuel from your tank.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Thanks, sent Jake Raby an email.
Email received. Busy week, we will get back with you ASAP.

FYI- I have a 2008 and a 2012 here now, both with the same old bore scoring issue from cold weather. That's a fact.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:30 PM
SimonBelgium
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Email received. Busy week, we will get back with you ASAP.

FYI- I have a 2008 and a 2012 here now, both with the same old bore scoring issue from cold weather. That's a fact.
Jake

Thanks for that. Mine does live outside, but I only use it for long distance (my commute is 65 miles one way), and I drive it slow till the oil gets warm.
Not sure if the faillure in mine is due to the cold issue or just bad luck with a valve lifter or something like that, but sucks big time any way you put it...
Old 12-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Jake

Thanks for that. Mine does live outside, but I only use it for long distance (my commute is 65 miles one way), and I drive it slow till the oil gets warm.
Not sure if the faillure in mine is due to the cold issue or just bad luck with a valve lifter or something like that, but sucks big time any way you put it...
I have NEVER, not once, ever seen a lifter fail, or make noise in any Cayenne engine. I have seen dozens of misdiagnoses of this, in fact they are most all misdiagnosed. Why? The sound is exactly like a lifter. It fools most of the best ears out there. I usually get a Cayenne engine after someone spends thousands to address the lifters, when that isn't the problem. People exert all their time trying to avoid having to ship the car this way, and that wastes big bucks in most cases.

You might have the first confirmed case of bad lifters in these engines, but I will be surprised.

Do you allow the engine to warm up for a while in cold weather before you drive it? If so, how long?

Remember, this failure can strike even if you do everything right. Why? Because of the differing running clearances and quality of the cylinders from the factory.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:55 PM
SimonBelgium
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I have NEVER, not once, ever seen a lifter fail, or make noise in any Cayenne engine. I have seen dozens of misdiagnoses of this, in fact they are most all misdiagnosed. Why? The sound is exactly like a lifter. It fools most of the best ears out there. I usually get a Cayenne engine after someone spends thousands to address the lifters, when that isn't the problem. People exert all their time trying to avoid having to ship the car this way, and that wastes big bucks in most cases.

You might have the first confirmed case of bad lifters in these engines, but I will be surprised.

Do you allow the engine to warm up for a while in cold weather before you drive it? If so, how long?

Remember, this failure can strike even if you do everything right. Why? Because of the differing running clearances and quality of the cylinders from the factory.
If it's been freezing, just the time to de-ice the windows, so a minute or 2. If not, pretty much 0 time (Which is what "they" tell everyone to do).

The engine sounded fine when I left work, when I pulled of the highway 5 miles from home it started making that weird sound. Think of when you were a kid and used to put a playing card between the spokes of our bikes because it sounded cool. Really loud by the way. No early warnings, no lights on the dash or anything, engine temps all fine and dandy, just a lot of noise.

I'm waiting to hear back if Porsche USA is going to man up and pay me something, and if not, if my dealer is. Should be today or tomorrow. Hope to hear back from you by then so I can ship it to GA.

So bummed right now
Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having a PPI done in the morning on a 2008 CTT with 85k miles. It has lived around Seattle all its life. Should I insist on a bore scope of the cylinders?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:17 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Seattle is a pretty mild climate compared to the NE or Canada. Along with that the Turbo's are less common so I doubt it is really needed plus the fact that Jake says it starts from the bottom of the cylinders so the pan would have to be pulled and borescoped fromt he bottom.
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Cayenne Engine Replacement