Sponsored by:

Cayenne Engine Replacement

Old 05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
twilight
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne Engine Replacement

Replacement Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how many of my fellow Cayenne owners have had replacement engines put in you vehicle? If you look around the forums you can see a few......

If you could answer with: How many miles and what was the reason. Also, was it covered by Porsche - even out of warranty - it would be a great help!

My vehicle has a scored cylinder and the dealer is currently taking it apart to see if they can find the root cause - Porsche may cover the repair, more details to follow.

Thanks.....
Old 05-10-2010, 01:08 PM
wirunner
Pro

Wow sorry to hear that. What year/model? What's the symptom of a scored cylinder out of curiousity?

To answer your question...block replaced at 32k miles under warranty.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM
twilight
Track Day

Own a 2005 Cayenne S - it has 96K on it and has been babied since it was first birthed. The first sign was increased oil consumption to about 1qt per 600 miles. Then started to hear a ticking sound that sounded just like a lifter noise that was somewhat intermittent. Then the noise got louded and never quit.

The root cause is unknown - but the dealer is taking the engine apart and has Porsche evaluating if they will replace. My only suspect at this time is the casting on the front of the engine has a lot of spall that is normally removed in the casting process - one of these chunks could easily break loose and make havoc throughout the engine. Saying prayers that Porsche covers the engine - will find out in the next couple days.

Just finished rebuiding my 1990 911 C4 last summer - was hoping to wait a few years before having to do it in another vehicle!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM
twilight
Track Day

Default Picture of Engine

Here is a link to some pictures of my engine....

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...nt-engine.html
Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh boy,

Now we will have +/- 6 naysayers (or is it 5?) bashing our beloved P!gs.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's with all the negativity? It's JUST an engine, for chrisssake. We are lucky to have someone from our "positive" 5-ish group, who rebuilds engines in his spare time and I'm sure this is a DIY that he'll help you with in no time
Old 05-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, remember a Cayenne engine won the 24 Hours of Daytona. Show some respect.
The following users liked this post:
MarkinMD (05-08-2020)
Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Soooo.....I see 2 listed engine issues so far in this thread. (not hundreds)

To be totally fair here. One has 96,000 miles on it. Rarely does a manufacturer defect surface this late in the game. Not impossible, just rare. Like stated above the cause is unknown at this point. Is it a "cayenne" issue, or is it a problem caused by abuse, neglect etc? Was the Cayenne ever run low on oil,dirt in the oil, etc.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
ATSAaron
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looked at the pictures on 6speedonline.

Don't expect Porsche to cover that. I would check the rod and main bearings next. Scored pistons don't make a ticking sound. If I had to guess as to a cause I would say: 1. low oil, or poor quality oil which led to excessive cylinder wear or 2. possible overheating caused the piston to expand and score the side of the cylinder.

Aaron
Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 PM
twilight
Track Day

What I love is this forum is at least responding to thread!

One again - this car has been babied since new - no abuse at all....it looks brand new - has every option available for a Cayenne except remote locking. I own other Porshes and always plan on having them forever.

Here is the noise - http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...se-normal.html

Oil Changes every 5000 miles by the dealer since new....and yes that noise is due to a scored cylinder - called piston slap. That is why the lovely Cayenne's tend to burn more oil. In case you are wondering - and yes you can find everything on the internet - go to: www.pistonslap.com. You can even listen to the sound of a GM on the site.

Did you see the inside of the cover with all the metal flakes? I thought at first this was dirt from the disassemble - it is machining burrs, etc that are chromated right into the housing....nice job!

Want to hear from others who have had their engines replaced - realize this is a small population - have located 6 so far.....but many other reporting hearing this sound.

Last edited by twilight; 05-10-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:47 AM
ATSAaron
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What octane fuel do you use? How do you drive your Cayenne? Do you purchase fuel at the same place consistently? How do the other cylinders look? similar? or pristine? Can you catch a fingernail on those grooves?

Piston slap is a production tolerance problem. You would have had it since mile zero. Unless the aluminum piston decides to shrink or the cast iron cylinder sleeve decides to grow it can't just happen.

Your picture shows a scored cylinder - caused by a piston to cylinder wall clearance that is too tight. (that tightness may have been caused by an overheated piston due to lack of coolant or lack of oil).

Your picture and your explanation look like opposites to me.

As far as the casting burrs inside the front cover..I've been inside Toyota, GM, Honda, even Ferrari motors and they all have stuff like that.

The video sounds - the faster ticking seems to be normal. I suspect it's the sound of the injecotrs opening and closing. The slower thud of a sound is not normal, when I hear a sound like that the first place I look is the rod bearings.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
twilight
Track Day

Now going back to my original question - something has caused my piston to score - others have this same issue. Wondering: "If you have had a replacement engine: How many miles and what was the reason. Also, was it covered by Porsche - even out of warranty - it would be a great help!"

Should have said - similar to piston slap - the point being the noise is coming from piston #6 - isolated using some pretty sophisticated acoustics equipment - the bottom of the engine is normal. It is not a injector noise - my guess is the lack of oil caused the scoring.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by twilight
N... - similar to piston slap - the point being the noise is coming from piston #6 - ....
Curious. Do you have a Turbo or an S?(Edit: I see on 6speed that it must be an S. I will leave the rest of this post up just for the basic information anyway)

If a turbo. Is the #6 piston directly next to a turbo charger? The reason I ask is that the amount of localized heat a turbo creates has caused all sorts of strange issues in other turbo cars. "thermal management" as the Porsche/Audi tech put it is one of the biggest issues with turbo cars.

I would be curious to see if that one cyl is close enough to a turbo to have taken on a large amount of extra heat. Causing the sort of swelling that would tighten up a cyl wall and gouge it.

If this were actually the case(or at least a possibility) then other Turbo owners could have a possible preventative solution to similar issues long term. (heat wrap the turbo pipes, ceramic coat, heat shields etc)
Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 PM
MERK
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2004 S started ticking at 59,000 and the engine light finally came on at 69,000. When the dealer scoped the engine he found a scored 6th cylinder with the only fix being engine replacement estimated at $12,000. This was a deal since Porsche was running a special on remanufactured engines: $7,800. I got online and found more than a few posts of similar happenings and contacted PorsheUSA asking for a goodwill adjustment- if they contributed the engine I would pay the labor. My dealer went to bat for me and got all the service records showing my 04 had all recommended service and then some. PorsheUSA came back with an offer of a short block and parts if I paid the labor. My service manager confided that there had been a few issues with the Cayenne cylinders and there appeared to be a deal between Porsche and the engine block manufacturer. I took the offer. After a total rebuild and $5000 later then engine runs like new....then my starter acted up so I dropped another grand last week.

I have three Cayennes- my daughter drives the 04. My 08 Base is for sale for $37,900 if anyone is interested. I'm keeping my Black 08 GTS.

Search for Rheinmetall AG - Cayenne engine block delivered "ready-for-engine-assembly": added value through ATAG project for information .

Good luck

Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 PM
twilight
Track Day

Thanks for the post! Had printed your thread from Pelican a few weeks back and it is with the guys at the Porsche dealer and they sent that in with the paperwork for Porsche to evaluate the coverage percentage! It is posts like that that have great value in this situation.

They gave me a GTS to drive for awhile - what a sweet vehicle - love the new Nav...my dealer is really trying hard and will always appreciate that - no matter the outcome.

Should hear back tomorrow from Porsche - will keep saying prayers....

I compete with Rheinmetall in the defense world - maybe this is payback?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayenne Engine Replacement