Sponsored by:

Cayenne Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DocU
New old stock engine. Who wants to start a class action lawsuit with me?
If you go with new old stock the problem your having currently will eventually happen again. Talk to Flat6 and get it done right and for the last time. Porsche really screwed up the NA V8 with all these scored cylinder issues...
Old 06-17-2015, 08:29 PM
opxz
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. Here's to my first post. Wish it were on happier notes.

I've got a 2004 Cayenne S (US model) with scored cylinders. It's at 86.000 miles. Located in Iceland, so yeah, low temps.

Ticking started during winter and I started seeing much more smoke (light/white) as well as higher fuel consumption. The smoke was on and off though. Sometimes I'd disappear into it and other days I couldn't tell if the car was running or not.

I had a compression test done a year or so ago, to check for this. It was negative. No ticking then. Can't remember the reason for the compression test.

I've been told the engine is worthless and I should just keep driving it and account for more oil consumption until eventually it'll seize.

The dealership over here has nothing to do with the import of the car, it was imported privately from the US by a previous owner. Still, I've had them write up a letter to Porsche Deutschland requesting free parts for repair. They've told me it's going to be a "NEIN!", making the car worth about $5000 - if I'm lucky. Basically it's a letter for "Good Will", but that's something that's only available to models younger than 5 years. Mine's more than double that.

I've browsed the forums, Googled my way around and to no avail. It seems like this is a common problem, but not one that Porsche will recognize. I just wanted to put this here so other people will know they're not alone with this problem and I'll let you know what answer they come up with.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Its happening more every week... The damage always begins to show it's most notable symptoms when temperatures start to creep up after the cold creates the initial damage.

Its pretty clear that we may need to add a division to only reconstruct Cayenne engines. So far 11 Cayenne failure calls in June alone... All are cylinder failures, whether they have been properly diagnosed, or not.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:00 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Its happening more every week... The damage always begins to show it's most notable symptoms when temperatures start to creep up after the cold creates the initial damage.

Its pretty clear that we may need to add a division to only reconstruct Cayenne engines. So far 11 Cayenne failure calls in June alone... All are cylinder failures, whether they have been properly diagnosed, or not.
Wow. So, are all of these non-turbo V8s?
Old 06-18-2015, 12:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Corso
Wow. So, are all of these non-turbo V8s?
No, about 1/2 are Turbos.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:26 AM
fatmatt0116
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, about 1/2 are Turbos.
What is the latest model year turbo that you have seen with a scored cylinder?
Old 06-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fatmatt0116
What is the latest model year turbo that you have seen with a scored cylinder?
I have seen 2012s personally, and have reports, with bore scope photos from 2013s.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Interesting. From (just about) everything written on the topic, it seemed like this anomaly was concentrated to non-Turbos...?
Old 06-18-2015, 11:54 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you consider that NA V8s outnumber turbos by at least 3 to 1 then a heightened number of NA V8s with a common problem would be normal. Jake's limited stats, however, suggest a bigger problem with turbos.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Interesting. From (just about) everything written on the topic, it seemed like this anomaly was concentrated to non-Turbos...?
The issue has always struck more S models. The reason for that is there's more of them out there, plus the TT has added piston/ cylinder clearance, because its boosted. The added clearance makes the conditions that lead to this be more extreme to create the same issue.

We have seen huge difference in these failures in the past 2 years, because we had two hard winters in a row, and even as far south as Georgia we saw temps hit zero degrees for a few days. The colder the winter, the more of these we see- period.
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-07-2022)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:18 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

12 calls to your store in June so far implies a much greater issue than I'd thought. I suppose it's a percentage issue and as more Peppers get out there, more will fail.

If it were to happen to me, I'd consider a US crate engine instead. Paying $35k or whatever for a Porsche engine installed seems scary and after all, no guarantee you won't lose again with that engine.

Beats me if the swap is possible, tho. Hardly my area of expertise. Also my area of expertise is not putting a $35k repair into a $34k value car.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
12 calls to your store in June so far implies a much greater issue than I'd thought. I suppose it's a percentage issue and as more Peppers get out there, more will fail.

If it were to happen to me, I'd consider a US crate engine instead. Paying $35k or whatever for a Porsche engine installed seems scary and after all, no guarantee you won't lose again with that engine.

Beats me if the swap is possible, tho. Hardly my area of expertise. Also my area of expertise is not putting a $35k repair into a $34k value car.
These issues will happen all over again with the replaced engine, if it retains factory cylinders. This is why I will ONLY use my running clearances and piston foreign profiles in conjunction with genuine Nickies cylinders.

These issues are not limited to Porsche, we have recently developed a fix for several AMG engines that fail the same way, especially those that are supercharged. Of course this still takes out M96/ M97 Porsches too, and I just one down yesterday with two failed cylinders that came from Quebec.

The rash of failures in June actually occurred in Jan-March across N America, and the symptoms just showed up when temperatures got warmer. This is when the symptoms lead to the engines eating oil, and misfiring, and people that don't know the traits of these failures start to know something is wrong.

By August or so all this year's failures will have exposed themselves, and we won't see Cayenne failure reports till next winter.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dryadsdad

Has anyone heard of someone doing an LSx swap in one of these? Certainly a more than viable option, if possible.

<<Purists come unglued here>>
Old 06-18-2015, 01:20 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

These issues will happen all over again with the replaced engine, if it retains factory cylinders. This is why I will ONLY use my running clearances and piston foreign profiles in conjunction with genuine Nickies cylinders.

These issues are not limited to Porsche, we have recently developed a fix for several AMG engines that fail the same way, especially those that are supercharged. Of course this still takes out M96/ M97 Porsches too, and I just one down yesterday with two failed cylinders that came from Quebec.

The rash of failures in June actually occurred in Jan-March across N America, and the symptoms just showed up when temperatures got warmer. This is when the symptoms lead to the engines eating oil, and misfiring, and people that don't know the traits of these failures start to know something is wrong.

By August or so all this year's failures will have exposed themselves, and we won't see Cayenne failure reports till next winter.
Looks like you got yourself into a good business courtesy of a few German friends. If this hit me and I'd not choose a US crate to save money while just getting the 'crate' going, I'd surely do your fix rather than a dupe from a known bad source.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:22 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Has anyone heard of someone doing an LSx swap in one of these? Certainly a more than viable option, if possible.

<<Purists come unglued here>>
An LS7 would be just the ticket. I know a few folks who repowered their LS2's with LS3's and, IIRC, the engine in the crate cost about $8k. I haven't a vague idea how much it'd be to match it to the car or if it'd make money sense to do it. If it cost $12k for the adaption, then you're much better off with Flat6's fix.

After all, a Pepper with an LSx is worth maybe 50% of one with a P engine.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Engine Replacement