Sponsored by:

955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 955 957 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials

I may have bit off more than I can chew due to various factory audio options in these vehicles but we'll see where this goes!
*****INCOMPLETE POST*****APPROXIMATELY 40% FINISHED AS OF 10/06/18***** Factory camera wiring instructions added 01/06/19
Still need to finish text, finish editing videos, link steps to minutes of video, draw diagrams, choose pictures and diagrams, and credit contributors of solutions from prior threads.
Planning to finish the 955 portion 100% before continuing the 996 portion.

Posting this now because some items have long shipping lead times if people seek to minimize cost. I wish I narrated this in such a way to make the video only 10 minutes but I didn’t plan a script of what I would say and shoot… Lessons learned for next time I make a tutorial on something.

This post applies to 2003-2010 Porsche Cayennes and 1999-2005 Porsche 911 996. I am merging all info and videos into one monster OP so that people with other Porsche models can extrapolate other helpful information for similar installs in their own Pcars.

Disclaimer: Safety first. Proceed at your own risk to yourself and your vehicle and equipment.

Difficulty level: Was a 4/5 when the information was not centralized but hoping this post brings it down to a 2/5 if you don't have to run wires for aftermarket backup camera.

I've installed Android 8.0 head units in my 06 CTT, 06 CTTS, and 01 996 thanks to the information I picked up in 9" Android Radio Install Review thread and similar threads such as....INSERT THREADS. I will now concentrate all the important info here for everyone interested in installing their own but hesitant about proceeding.

First the obligatory photos of vehicles:
The Titanium 2006 Cayenne Turbo is for sale here.

CTT and CTTS important details going in are PCM, factory backup camera, and Bose package (which communicates via fiber optic MOST).
996 important details going in are non-Bose, Becker radio w/ cupholders up top and CD changer w/ climate down low. People with climate up top may need other parts and can find this discussed at length elsewhere INSERT LINK.

HEAD UNITS :
There are a number of options out there. Some have *****, some have buttons, some have front slots, some have front mics, some are touch only. The most important factors to me were front mic (no need to run mic wire) and Android 8.0. I don't think the OS is easily updated so I wanted the latest available.

I bought these three:
06 955 CTTS for $415 shipped. w/ MOST box
06 955 CTT for $400 shipped. w/ MOST box
01 996 for $300 shipped. 01 996 for $300 shipped.
(I don't recommend this exact unit because it does not play nice with dimensions of available pre-made kits)
INSERT DIMENSIONS REQUIRED FOR INTERIOR OPENING

If you have a 955 with Bose then you need MOST box. Some ebay auctions include it and some don't. Some give option to pay them ~$75 extra to include it.
I recommend the Android units advertised specifically for the 955 because they are shaped to fit perfectly flush in the dash and steering wheel controls are all mapped and CANbus typically included.
The CTT head unit specs are 1024*600 screen, Android 8.0, PX5 Octa Core+, 4GB RAM, 32GB Flash

TOOLS :
Tool 1: 100 pack of solder seal connectors for $13
Tool 2: Wagner Furno 750 Adjustable Temperature Heat Gun for $65 (I set it to 550 degrees and used heat-focusing included adapter
Tool 3: Electrical Tape
Tool 4: Dash trim removal tool set for $11
Tool 5: Screwdriver and I recommend this bit set but you mostly just need T20 bit for this job.
Tool 6: Dremel and cut-off wheel
Tool 7: Wire cutter and stripper for $20
Tool 8: Wire smaller than 14 AWG and a couple lugs and crimper

955 PARTS :
955 Part 1: Twin Fakra to Single DIN Car inline Signal Amp Amplifier Booster for $6
955 Part 2: 12V 30/40 Amp 5-Pin SPDT Automotive Relay qty 5 $12 (you only need 1 and you only need it if you have factory backup camera)
955 Part 3: Fakra A Male to RCA Male Adapter Cable for $4
(only needed for factory backup camera)
955 Part 4 (optional):
BATIGE Square USB 3.0 Blank plate for $10 BATIGE Square USB 3.0 Blank plate for $10
(only get this if you have a free blank button space out of the 5 above PCM screen)
955 Part 5 (optional):
BATIGE USB 3.0 & 3.5mm Cigarette replacement for $11 BATIGE USB 3.0 & 3.5mm Cigarette replacement for $11
ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL IN ASHTRAY OR UNDER GLOVEBOX—WILL RECORD IF SUCCESSFUL
Not successful; factory ashtray cig lighter cannot be easily modified.
955 Part 6: extra wire, preferably high quality and smaller than 14 gauge. If you buy the SPDT relay kit you can chop up one of those harnesses and use that wire.
955 Part 7 (optional): 4 Channel MOST box from Russia found by user mrottjers - A couple people installed this and said it gave sound improvements and Fade capability. Personally I'm happy with the 2 channel.

955 INSTALLATION :
YouTube Video part 1 (7m21s) discusses disassembly, FM radio, and GPS

955 Step 1: Turn on car, turn Porsche head unit volume to maximum, and turn car off. (thanks to user hgupta for this suggestion)
955 Step 2: Remove head unit trim with nylon pry bar. Don't break it because replacements are $200+. If the aluminum colored trim separates from the black plastic (one of mine did) you can epoxy it back together and use painters tape and C-clamps to ensure it stays completely together until it bonds.
955 Step 3: Remove Porsche PCM head unit and unplug everything.
955 Step 4: Attach Y-split Fakra to factory radio Fakra females (black and brown). Attach video RCA adapter to factory camera Fakra (green). Attach CANbus to android power harness. Attach Android power harness to factory power and CANbus harnesses. Attach factory fiberoptic connectors to MOST box if you have Bose.
955 Step 5 (optional): Run aftermarket backup camera if you don't have a factory one. Attach SPDT relay if you DO have factory backup camera. Route USB and Aux cables as desired. I have heard 3G is pretty awful on these so I only ran data USB cable.
SPDT theory of operation: The relay operates (switch changes position) when there is 12V across the coil. Without the 12V on the coil, contacts 87a and 30 are connected to each other. When 12V is applied to coil, it is contacts 87 and 30 that are connected.
SPDT wiring instructions:
86 RELAY COIL IN spliced to the orange REVERSE IN wire on the android power harness.
85 RELAY COIL OUT and contact 30 spliced to each other and ground.
The factory camera motor operates to pop out the camera when the blue wire on the porsche factory power harness is grounded.
Blue wire on Porsche factory harness connects to ​87 contact.
Nothing connects to 87a contact.

955 Step 6: Run Android head unit GPS to dead space top center of dash. Remove A/C vents first to check for screws and to help route the wire. Unscrew screws if present then remove upper speaker vent. Dremel a notch in the edge so the GPS wire doesn't interfere with speaker vent sitting flush. User levdeb kindly informed me with a helpful photo that some Cayennes have two screws holding the upper speaker vent and those cannot be simply pried off like mine in the video.
955 Step 7: Soldering time. Connect and solder MOST wires for Ground, ACC, and 12V.
MOST ground splices into Android harness ground wire. Add another splice at same time for a ground lug and/or other device grounds.
MOST ACC wire connects to blue AMPCON wire on Android head unit speaker output harness.
MOST BATT 12V wire splices to Android head unit power harness power wire.
MOST RCA wires connect to FRONT OUT L and FRONT OUT R of the Android head unit speaker output harness.
Connect and solder the blue power wire of the split Fakra antenna amplifier to the blue ANT wire on Android head unit speaker output harness.
955 Step 7 Troubleshooting:
Power up the car to test that you have sound. After connecting your phone via bluetooth go to HOME on the head unit and swipe to A2DP app. Alternatively plug in to the AUX input or insert a flash drive into the USB media cable and browse to your music.
In the event that you wired the MOST but can't get any sounds through the car's speakers from head unit, user hgupta suggested bypassing the Android head unit and plugging a low volume audio source into the MOST box directly using something like this $1.50 adapter in order to verify if your problem is MOST or head unit.
To Be Continued...

RELATED AND COMPLEMENTARY 955 TUTORIALS:
User Stringbag made this great write-up on running the wires for an aftermarket backup camera.

996 PARTS :
996 Part 1: VW8 Audi/VW amplified antenna adapter for $6
996 Part 2: Porsche radio removal tool for $1 to remove Becker radio or set of finger nail clippers as shown in youtube video 8ylEoBVja3o
996 Part 3:
Metra 70-1787 Radio Wiring Harness for VW/Audi Bose Integration 1993-2007 for $9 Metra 70-1787 Radio Wiring Harness for VW/Audi Bose Integration 1993-2007 for $9
996 Part 4a: Double DIN installation kit
like this one for $25 that includes cubby to replace factory CD changer like this one for $25 that includes cubby to replace factory CD changer
996 Part 4b: or
this one for $50 with no pocket but slightly better looking finish this one for $50 with no pocket but slightly better looking finish
996 Part 4c: or the $150 Euro Motorspeed kit which I remember some saying high quality trim CITATION
INSERT DIMENSIONS OF INTERIOR OPENING OF EACH
IF ANYONE HAS DIMENSIONS OF INTERIOR OPENING OF THE $150 KIT PLEASE PM ME. as an engineer it drives me nuts these companies don't provide this most basic piece of information that in itself defines the kit
996 Part 5 (optional):
BATIGE USB 3.0 & 3.5mm Cigarette replacement for $11 BATIGE USB 3.0 & 3.5mm Cigarette replacement for $11
996 Part 6: extra wire, preferably high quality and smaller than 14 gauge.
996 Part 7 (optional): Porsche OEM cubby part number is 996-552-253-01-01C and costs $70. I'm just using the one from $25 kit.

I believe the following quoted info applies to all three install kits linked above. Adding 996 Part 3 should allow for compatibility with option 680 HiFi audio system and maybe others..
Taken from Suncoast Double Din conversion kit:
"1999-2001 models - Compatible with the standard radio (CDR220) and standard radio (CDR220) with BOSE, or HiFi Sound Systems. Not compatible with cars with PCM radios AND option 680 (HiFi Audio System or BOSE M680 - you will have to create your own speaker wiring).
2002 models - Compatible with all radios.
For 2003-04 models - Due to the MOST fiber optic system, you may need to bypass/replace the factory amplifier for BOSE and HiFi audio systems."

996 Installation :
To Be Continued after finishing 955...

Last edited by Jonathan H; 01-07-2019 at 03:00 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jonathan H:
Dave Thompson (01-03-2020), hirinhu (07-13-2019), lkraav (08-04-2021)
Old 01-06-2019, 04:31 AM
Nehmaiz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty interesting! looking into doing this job myself, looking forward to the next video.

cheers!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 AM
RSmass
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh.. is there a reason mine does not have the canbus? (2004) I've been stumped on connecting this radio for months! here are the wires I have (arrows show connection, no power at all!)

The following users liked this post:
Dave Thompson (01-03-2020)
Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Usually these Android units come with two harnesses. One has a single large connector (your second picture), the other has separate connectors. Most people I believe have used the harness with the separate connectors. The CAN Bus interface is usually shipped attached to the harness with the single large connector, you have to transfer it to the other harness (with separate connectors). There is a white connector that branches off of the main harness for the CAN Bus Interface. The CAN Bus wiring is integral to the new connectors/harness. I don't recall ever seeing anyone use the single larger connector you have indicated in the second picture. But for sure the factory connectors you have are different from the connectors in my 2006 CS.

Did you get the two harnesses? Does one have the CAN Bus interface on it?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:16 PM
RSmass
8th Gear

Yeah, sorry that picture was very poor. I do have that can bus interface connected as you can see by the pic below (red arrows) but I get no power to the radio at all, I contacted the Chinese company that have the radio and they said the "Can bus" is not connected in "image 2" they sent me a picture that looks nothing like the wiring in my cayenne, they had 2 factory harnesses that plugged into that aftermarket harness. I am NOT using the single large connector. I am using the one with separate connectors. the single large does not fit any of my connections. probably the angle makes it look like im using the large.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:02 PM
Morganmobile
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RSmass
Yeah, sorry that picture was very poor. I do have that can bus interface connected as you can see by the pic below (red arrows) but I get no power to the radio at all, I contacted the Chinese company that have the radio and they said the "Can bus" is not connected in "image 2" they sent me a picture that looks nothing like the wiring in my cayenne, they had 2 factory harnesses that plugged into that aftermarket harness. I am NOT using the single large connector. I am using the one with separate connectors. the single large does not fit any of my connections. probably the angle makes it look like im using the large.

If your head unit is anything like mine the larger black power plug from the car goes into the connector in the upper part of your picture ( you can see the slots for the clips) the remaining (3 I think) go into corresponding places on the larger part where you now have the power connected.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:46 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to connect the yellow connector to the new black connector that came with the Android. The yellow connector has 5 wires, but you only need the tow (CAN HIGH and CAN LOW to connect. It's not obvious that they yellow connector will fit, because it goes in the large harness slot with two pins on the far side.

See the two little pins on the right of the right most bottom image? The yellow connector has to connect to those (and clip into place into the slot on that side
Old 01-23-2019, 01:48 PM
RSmass
8th Gear

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
You need to connect the yellow connector to the new black connector that came with the Android. The yellow connector has 5 wires, but you only need the tow (CAN HIGH and CAN LOW to connect. It's not obvious that they yellow connector will fit, because it goes in the large harness slot with two pins on the far side.

See the two little pins on the right of the right most bottom image? The yellow connector has to connect to those (and clip into place into the slot on that side
^^ This worked perfectly, that yellow connector DOES NOT look like it belongs there, but apparently it does, radio works perfectly. Thank you so much!
Old 01-23-2019, 02:09 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Glad it helped.

Looks like you have the yellow wire from the MOST decoder connected to the yellow wire on the CAN-BUS decoder? I got nothing, no audio, when I tried that...
Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 PM
RSmass
8th Gear

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
Glad it helped.

Looks like you have the yellow wire from the MOST decoder connected to the yellow wire on the CAN-BUS decoder? I got nothing, no audio, when I tried that...
Yes, the Red, Yellow, and Black are connected to the CAN BUS from the MOST. when it was wirenut'd for testing, the audio was very.. eh.. yeah.. but I solder them and its perfect, no issues, in my benz I have it the same way.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:04 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

weird, I got no audio when I did that, MOST wouldn't wake up.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:10 AM
big928fan
Intermediate

for this head unit, what did you have for mic input? i had a mic with a traditional 3.5mm plug, but that seems to be too small to connect to the female plug that came with the unit?
Old 05-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by big928fan
for this head unit, what did you have for mic input? i had a mic with a traditional 3.5mm plug, but that seems to be too small to connect to the female plug that came with the unit?
I believe I had a pin attachment with 3.5mm input. Attach a pic. Does your unit have a front mic built in?
Old 05-07-2019, 02:42 PM
big928fan
Intermediate

yeah i do, so i think i'm going to skip the microphone in the back, save some space
thanks!

by the way, would you be so kind to tell me how to connect the acc wire from the harness, and where to wire the 3 wires from the most adapter?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:16 PM
mhariush
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

is there a way to connect the cars original microphone into the new head unit to use for calling?

Quick Reply: 955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials