955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 07:58 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmindler
Hello,
Are you running a wire from the fuse box to the head unit for switched power?
I don’t have any switched power in the plug on my 955.
thanks
I did not need to run a wire from the fuse box. I used one of the android head unit output wires https://photos.app.goo.gl/zeEWkQJHqs25tLz1A
Old 01-22-2023, 08:09 PM
Jmindler
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux power

Thanks,
I don’t have any switched power from my factory plug?
just constant B+. I did find a switched wire but it only show’s switched power when the factory unit is connected. I guess in my instance I’m going to have to run a wire so that the android unit will have switched power.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:37 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmindler
Thanks,
I don’t have any switched power from my factory plug?
just constant B+. I did find a switched wire but it only show’s switched power when the factory unit is connected. I guess in my instance I’m going to have to run a wire so that the android unit will have switched power.
Plug in some of the android head unit adapters and see if any have switched power. What are you planning to use switched power for? The head unit main power supply??
Old 01-22-2023, 08:46 PM
Jmindler
AutoX

Default Switched power

Thanks for the reply.
the android head unit calls for a constant power supply which I have in the factory harness. It also calls for an accessory power supply which I do not have in the factory harness.
it’s easy enough to run a switched source from the fuse box.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:55 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

No one has switched power from their factory harness. Turning on and off comes from the CANbus (two wires) along with the steering wheel controls, outside temp. and other back and forth info.
If you bought a radio meant for your Cayenne, it should be plug and play either through an external adapter or a special plug built into the back.
If you're stuck with some radio that you want to use that doesn't have this functionality, you can get switched power from something that becomes active when the car is on. Doesn't have to go all the way back to the fuse box, it's just a trigger signal and doesn't draw lots of power.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:00 PM
Jmindler
AutoX

Default Switched power

Thanks,
that is what I was thinking. I purchased a unit from Avin that was supposed to be plug and play. Looks like it is going back.
thanks again.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:41 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

I just checked their website and they seem legit. If your factory plug mates up to what they sent you I'd try their customer service.
If not it may just be a matter of getting the hi/low canbus wires connected to where they need to be into your new radio.
If you need that info I can check and see which wires those are from your factory plug. I just spliced all of my wires anyway, because the boxy adapter plug thing was too big to fit my radio in, since it uses all of the DIN space for the optical drive.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:00 PM
Jmindler
AutoX

That would be great if you could send that info. I’m using the supplied plug and play harness. I really hate to send it back. It looks like a decent unit.
thanks again
Old 01-22-2023, 10:48 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

No problem. So for my 03 955 with Bose the picture below shows my old PCM and the supplied socket to take it's place.
The next picture shows how my factory plugs plugged into the big socket.
I only had the yellow plug at the top left and the bottom black one.

So here is the guidance from above:
It's hard to read, but I made a cheat sheet in the bottom pic for my case.

In my case there's only the two CANbus communication wires, the +/- 12V, and the white wire which used to come out of the PCM to power the factory antennas and amplifiers.
So it's sort of like the old "power antennae out" wire back when cars had power telescoping antennas, but in our case I believe it powers the active diversity antennas. I only used one of the two antennas for my radio.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: 955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials