Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 02:26 PM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Yeah, my friend has one of these ebay cheap android head units and has torque installed among other things. Nice to be able to look at live data and clear error codes from the radio display.
The following users liked this post:
gogobg (11-09-2022)
Old 12-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Richard Flores
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
I have an extra Cayenne head unit Android 8 with CANbus decoder new in the box that I will sell for $200+shipping.
Sent you PM. Please check
Old 12-23-2019, 01:14 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

Great info and huge thanks to OP for the info.
I just installed an Android in my 2008 GTS. But i didn't have a navigation or AMP to begin with, so i lost no functionality what so ever

I would like to give back in case others may need it and provide a little more info. Since my car came with what i think is called CD23? I had only one antenna input. So no need for the dual FAKRA adapter (sending mine back). Also my car still has fiber-optic even thought there is no CD changer or AMP.
I didn't think i had fiber-optic so i didn't buy the MOST adapter and **** my pants when i got in there. Almost stopped the install and went online to order one but then something told me to try it anyway and strangely enough everything works perfectly fine. I completely left fiber-optic unplugged and all is well. I don't think that it is being utilized in my car. Based on my experience with Benz, when its active one of the lines will have a faint red light. In my car nothing..... so i closed it up and left it hanging.

Phone works, Bluetooth music works, radio works but extremely poor reception. And i did connect blue antenna wire from adapter to the wiring harness so not sure what the issue is for now.

The following users liked this post:
Dave Thompson (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Dave Thompson
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it!
Old 01-11-2020, 07:18 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtm7
I use a bluetooth ODB scanner and an app that will give the average and instant MPG based on inputs to the ECU, as well as engine temp, alternator output voltage, etc. So no big deal about losing the fuel consumption info.
Somewhat off topic, but I got my Scantool bluetooth ODB reader, and I have a problem. My ODB port is not where it is supposed to be, according to every reference I have found. Not under the dash next to the emergency brake pedal(or anywhere in that vicinity), and not in the side panel fuse box. It is a 2008 Porsche Cayenne S. I am in Abu Dhabi, so it has GCC specs, but don't know if that should be relevant. I have downloaded both a 2008 and a 2009 owners manual, and the 2009 shows a "diagnostic port", but the 2008 doesn't show it. Anyone know of another location the ODB port might be, or if they actually have one?
Old 01-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you really get your head under the dash with a flashlight to have a good look around? There is a small plastic cover over it that you must pop off.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:31 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Did you really get your head under the dash with a flashlight to have a good look around? There is a small plastic cover over it that you must pop off.
That is just it. The area under the dash is completely open. No cover to remove.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:07 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Fascinating! Please attach photos. Maybe someone did a custom job and pulled the harness back to plug in something else? Does your phone see any Bluetooth connections available?
Old 01-16-2020, 02:06 PM
sgtm7
Advanced

Fascinating! Please attach photos. Maybe someone did a custom job and pulled the harness back to plug in something else? Does your phone see any Bluetooth connections available?
Found it. The previous owner for some reason had removed the cover underneath the dash, and the ODB plug was tucked up inside the harness.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:36 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Just found something else that is "missing". Except in this case, there is no chance of it being tucked away where it can't be seen. I have no amplifier(at least not an external one). Even though none of my speakers say Bose on them, I assumed I had the Bose system, because I have 13 speakers plus a subwoofer, CD changer, DVD Navigation, and a fiber optic cable connected to the head unit. However, when looking up in the area where the amp is supposed to be, there is nothing there but the CD changer. I found another thread, where someone else had the exact same set up as me. Then I further confirmed it, when I looked at the back of my OEM head unit and saw there were 8 speaker wires going into the middle connector. So this will make it easier in regards to not needing to dismantle the rear of the car. However, it also makes it harder. My plan was to tap off the speaker wires coming off the amp, and attach them to my Alpine amplifier which has a dsp built in(PDP-E800DSP). Because the Alpine amp has a DSP that can be controlled with software, I could have taken the four low level inputs from the Android head unit, and with the software, directed them where I wanted at the 8 channel outputs. I could also set the output and impedance, as well as direct L&R channels input channels to send 50% each to one of the output channels(for the dash center channel). I will still do that, but now I am going to have to run new speaker wire to accomplish my set up.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:52 PM
studne00
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No sound

Originally Posted by Shalz
Thanks RazMan. Tried again and all works, just realised I forgot to connect the amp connector instead of looking for aux connections for the speaker.

How are people playing their Spotify or mirroring their phones onto the screen?

There is a Bluetooth music app, but it shows song and next or previous. Can't see playlists or browse anything.

Is there any app to mirror or use the phones Spotify account directly?
Hi Shalz,
I have the same problem with no sound. Which is the amp connector for activating the amp? Thank you.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:23 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Originally Posted by studne00
Hi Shalz,
I have the same problem with no sound. Which is the amp connector for activating the amp? Thank you.
According to all wiring diagrams I have found, the white with red stripe connector coming off of the harness at the PCM is the wake-up/diagnosis wire that supplies voltage when the PCM is turned on. Looking at the diagrams, that wire supplies turn on voltage for the CD, DVD, and amplifier(if equipped).
Old 02-01-2020, 11:59 PM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the amp located? I have the CDR23 w/o Bose or CD changer and after 14 years am going to replace the head unit with a Pioneer unit and install a backup camera. My wife also wants navigation as we have been places w/o signal for our iPhones.
What’s the word on Metra for steering controls?
Old 02-02-2020, 12:30 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Originally Posted by BobbySpeed
Where is the amp located? I have the CDR23 w/o Bose or CD changer and after 14 years am going to replace the head unit with a Pioneer unit and install a backup camera. My wife also wants navigation as we have been places w/o signal for our iPhones.
What’s the word on Metra for steering controls?
Are you sure you have an external amplifier? I don't have one. My speaker outputs go directly from my head unit to the speakers. Have you pulled your head unit out to check it?
Old 02-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Rickiteasy
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I have a 2004 CTT with bad navigation/stereo/DVD not working. Jonathan's link to the eBay no longer goes to the unit. So, which after market unit would replace the OEM system?
I found this one on eBay. Would this work? 7'' Car Android9.0 Stereo For Porsche Cayenne 2003-2010 Car DVD GPS Player Radio
I just need that would work with the existing Bose system in this CTT. Blue tooth with android and iPhone would be great. Pickup local AM/FM stations would be great. No DVD is needed, since I don't have any DVDs.
No navigation is fine, since I use my google map with my phone.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your help!
Rick

Quick Reply: 955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials