Sponsored by:

955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mhariush
is there a way to connect the cars original microphone into the new head unit to use for calling?
My PCM2 didn't have the phone or mic built in, so I'm not sure if you can do that. Might need an adapter.
I use the microphone built into the head unit, and everybody says the call quality is good.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:03 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by big928fan
by the way, would you be so kind to tell me how to connect the acc wire from the harness, and where to wire the 3 wires from the most adapter?
Sorry I meant to respond sooner! Here's a couple vids I recorded last year for part 2 that show where I wired my MOST. Let me know if you have any other questions.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zeEWkQJHqs25tLz1A
Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhariush
is there a way to connect the cars original microphone into the new head unit to use for calling?
Interesting idea! Not sure how they wired that but it doesn't sound difficult. Have you physically located it? Do you know which wire it is?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone had any success with upgrading to Android 9.0? Being a self confessed geek I would love to have a go but thought I would ask you guys first
Old 05-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RazMan
Has anyone had any success with upgrading to Android 9.0? Being a self confessed geek I would love to have a go but thought I would ask you guys first
I don't believe it is possible, unfortunately. The ROM is fairly customized and any attempted "upgrade" would likely render it unusable. Cheapest shipping of the head unit Houston to China is $90 don't ask me how I know.
The following users liked this post:
Dave Thompson (01-03-2020)
Old 05-20-2019, 02:58 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

People are working on builds of Android 9.0 for the PX5 based headunits.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...hread-t3929597

Here's an Android 9.0 rom for a PX5 https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=2849

Flashing these units is very easy. I changed mine from the stock MTCE-XRC_V2.89.1 (XRC is one manufacturer of a PX5 head unit) to a MTCE_CHS_V2.93_2
Many are compatible.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing that is great to hear. Were you able to easily reprogram the steering wheel buttons? Any consequences?

Looks like a lot of risk for what is in my opinion minimal reward if you already have 8.1. I'm glad people are trying and I hope more people get into it and have continued successes.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:49 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
Thanks for sharing that is great to hear. Were you able to easily reprogram the steering wheel buttons? Any consequences?

Looks like a lot of risk for what is in my opinion minimal reward if you already have 8.1. I'm glad people are trying and I hope more people get into it and have continued successes.
Yeah I was able to get my steering wheel buttons working again after flashing the different ROM. I also got the files from the Vendor, so I can go back.
I may try the other Hal9k Android 8.0 ROM, but would wait for the Android 9 ROMs to be more stable...
Old 05-20-2019, 06:43 PM
RazMan
Instructor

A couple of days ago I emailed the seller on AliExpress and they basically said that it's not possible because the hardware is not compatible. I tried one version of an update file but just got an error message which suggested that this was the case. Maybe I should be satisfied with Android 8 before I end up bricking my head unit.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:02 AM
petersh
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i just installed a head unit in my 2004 cayenne the red wire on the most did not work with the blue/white wire for some reason, So i spliced it to the red wire going to the canbus it is an acc, this worked took some brainstorming and a meter but success was mine for a minute i thought the most box was a dud. Hope this helps someone.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Shalz
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, copied from another thread as not getting a response.

Just bought a 957 '09 Diesel a while back, it's non-BOSE. Ordered one of the 9" Android units from AliExpress but I'm struggling to get sound from the unit (GPS, radio antenna etc works).

I don't have BOSE and no orange connector that I think others have identified as the Fibre Optic cable so I didn't order any MOST adapter - do I still need one?

I have the single large black connector to the PCM (not the separate ones like older 955s). Connected the black FM FACRA unit only (no space/fitment for second antenna cable).

PS usefully, the car's GPS cable is FACRA so fit directly without having to use the aftermarket one.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 AM
RazMan
Instructor

My 957 was the same as your setup - black fakra for GPS connected fine, another for antenna connection. The rest of the connections are taken care of by the large plug assembly and should just 'work' I found the FM and dab reception was terrible so I installed a bee sting antenna which makes it perfect.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Shalz
8th Gear

My 957 was the same as your setup - black fakra for GPS connected fine, another for antenna connection. The rest of the connections are taken care of by the large plug assembly and should just 'work' I found the FM and dab reception was terrible so I installed a bee sting antenna which makes it perfect.
Thanks RazMan. I tried plugging it all straight 1-to-1 and playing music from my phone or running the GPS (to check if the FM signal was the issue) but still no sound at all. So thinking I'm missing something obvious.

Did you have to plug in the extra sound harness and connect the line in/out from the power harness to this one or didn't use the sound harness at all?

Android unit connector

Vehicles connector to PCM what's the green one as no corresponding connection to android connector (you can see in first pic no pins for this) but has lots of wires coming out of it?

Back of my PCM
Old 07-09-2019, 11:49 AM
RazMan
Instructor

That is the same connector and yes, there is nothing connected to the green connector at all - most of the connections are in the black plug (mostly speakers and power I assume). Its been a while since I fitted mine (and my memory is atrocious these days) but I seem to recall that it was a simple plug and play with just the FM and GPS antenna connections required. The extra harness was not needed at all.

I recall that another member had an issue with low volume once setup and this was solved by reconnecting the old PCM and setting the volume to max, switching off and then refitting the new Android unit.. Might be worth a try?
The following users liked this post:
Potential (02-01-2021)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Shalz
8th Gear

That is the same connector and yes, there is nothing connected to the green connector at all - most of the connections are in the black plug. Its been a while since I fitted mine (and my memory is atrocious these days) but I seem to recall that it was a simple plug and play with just the FM and GPS antenna connections required. The extra harness was not needed at all.
Thanks, I'll try again this weekend. Did you use the original Porsche FM and GPS connectors or the new ones that came with the Android unit?

Quick Reply: 955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials