Notices

scca stock class becoming street class!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:49 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Don't we do this every six months or so?

Super Street -- 996 GT3 and 997 GT3, Cayman R / Boxster Spyder?
A Street -- Cayman S / Boxster S?
B Street -- 986 Boxster S?, base Cayman / Boxster?
C Street -- 968
E Street -- 944's a dark horse
Interesting but until next year, all of those are r-comp classes..

In addition, as Tom pointed out, there have been many occasions in the past when Porsches have been *very* competitive or even outright overdogs yet relatively few came out. The 996 GT3 in Super Stock and the Cayman S in the first years of A Stock come to mind.

Fun facts: When Gary Thomason won SS at Nationals in 2008, there were only five people driving Porsches in the 57 driver class. When Ian Stewart won SS at Nationals in 2007, there were only nine people driving Porsches in the 67 (!) driver class. If we go back to when Andy McKee won AS at Nationals in 2001, eleven people out of 40 were driving Porsches, which is better, but still not enough to support a class.
Implying that a specific model needs to be capable of fully carrying a class is ridiculous. It just supports the lemming mentality.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

You have a perception they won't be competitive and expect people to agree with you and apparently that isn't the case for a few of us...

No one said fully carry, how about show up in numbers greater than 3 in a class of 40?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Out of all those, I'd like to try a 986 S in BStreet most.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

What would it take to make a 986S nationally competitive in B Street?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

GT3 front bar, shocks with low speed compression set right, an alignment that reflects the first two in the rear.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToSi
Interesting but until next year, all of those are r-comp classes..
Not true -- Road Tire has existed for the past two years. This year Caymans were first and second in the thirteen car RT2 class at the DC Pro, fourth in RT2 at the Pro Finale (setting second fastest time on the left side, just behind some guy with a cheater index ), and trophied in RTR at Nationals.

As an aside, guess how many Porsches there were in the aforementioned fifty-five car RTR class at Nationals this year? Four.

Originally Posted by ToSi
Implying that a specific model needs to be capable of fully carrying a class is ridiculous.
A class needs to make numbers. The Caymans aren't going to prop up A Street. The S2000 CRs probably aren't going to either. That leaves the Corvettes, which was Tom's point -- while it irritates me personally that I think Corvettes have been made overdogs in A Street, I agree that's the class' best chance to have healthy fields.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

ack! wrong thread.. I meant to bitch in the 'why can't I run my Boxster in ST' thread.

Street is fine, aside from the +/-1" wheel diameter genie leaving her bottle...

Why'd the 2.5 non-S get merged back in w/ the S? I'd think it make a fun foil for the FRS/BRZ twins.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
GT3 front bar, shocks with low speed compression set right, an alignment that reflects the first two in the rear.
Got the GT3 front bar on my 986S, but I'm getting increasingly discouraged at the how difficult it's looking to get double-adjustable shocks. This is my daily driver- I don't want to risk botching up a strut hack that leaves my car undriveable Didn't a couple of you run konis back in the day? Anyone still have a set hanging around?

Not true -- Road Tire has existed for the past two years. This year Caymans were first and second in the thirteen car RT2 class at the DC Pro, fourth in RT2 at the Pro Finale (setting second fastest time on the left side, just behind some guy with a cheater index ), and trophied in RTR at Nationals.

As an aside, guess how many Porsches there were in the aforementioned fifty-five car RTR class at Nationals this year? Four.
I coned away 2nd place in RTR at the dover national tour in my (mostly stock) 986S. Given the small field (6), not sure it's a very meaningful finish, though.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Audii-Dudii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Got the GT3 front bar on my 986S, but I'm getting increasingly discouraged at the how difficult it's looking to get double-adjustable shocks. This is my daily driver- I don't want to risk botching up a strut hack that leaves my car undriveable
Your concern is understandable, which is why you should buy a used set of struts and modify those, leaving your originals intact (or vice-versa, depending upon the mileage/condition of the used parts you buy) for a rainy day or when you sell the car.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

I'm not as convinced as Tom that fancy shocks are required. Way back in the day Rob Falkner tested fancy shocks then went back to the stock M030 units because he was faster on them.

If you really want more low speed rebound, you could have Bilstein revalve a set of their shocks for not too much money.

I should note that I'm skeptical that the Boxster will have anything for the base C5, thus the question mark in my list above.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Thats why I never said double adjustables. The Bilsteins are quite close (or M030). I would run more all around though. The problem is availability of parts and why I moved away from Porsches recently.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
80% driver / 20% car, right?
Yup! I just can't believe how much that 20% keeps letting me down; I feel like I'm doing 85% here (yeah right!)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Audii-Dudii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's unfortunately not new information. The legality of the XRR wheels is not in question -- the dimensions of the wheels are. Take a look at the letter I wrote for more information: https://rennlist.com/forums/10760244-post148.html.
See p. 5 of the following Porsche Press Kit for the 2006 Cayman S for what I believe is the definitive answer to whether the 19x8.5 / 19x10 Carrera Sport wheels were an available option on these cars hence legal to use in the SCCA's A-Stock / A-Street classes:

http://press.porsche.com/archive/pro..._S_revised.pdf

Note that this document is a revised version of the original 2006 Cayman S Press Kit, which explains the confusion around this issue, as it suggests this option wasn't initially available. That it became available at some point later in the model year is further confirmed by the Order Guide I have dated early 2006 that does indeed list the XRR option (but not, unfortunately, the actual wheel sizes, so it's good that I found this document, especially because my .pdf copy of the Order Guide is on another, now broken computer, and I'll have to retrieve it from either the hard-drive itself or a backup copy of its contents).

Anyway, so far as I'm concerned, Q.E.D. and I welcome anybody who disagrees to file a protest against me.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Good find!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Yeah, that's a fantastic find. Shame they're not that explicit in other model years.

Quick Reply: scca stock class becoming street class!