Notices

scca stock class becoming street class!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:03 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

the 06-08 Cayman S was already somewhat close in AS, the problems with the ECU and race tires go mostly away, the camber limitations are less of an issue and it won't have much of a problem putting down power. So no, I don't think that is a doomed car either. I don't have any seat time in an AS Boxster S but I imagine it would be quite similar. Since you are from that part of the country, I do recall people saying a 350z would never do well in STR as well...yes course dependency comes into play but you won't know until it is tried by someone with talent.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Audii-Dudii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
the 06-08 Cayman S was already somewhat close in AS, the problems with the ECU and race tires go mostly away, the camber limitations are less of an issue and it won't have much of a problem putting down power. So no, I don't think that is a doomed car either. I don't have any seat time in an AS Boxster S but I imagine it would be quite similar. Since you are from that part of the country, I do recall people saying a 350z would never do well in STR as well...yes course dependency comes into play but you won't know until it is tried by someone with talent.
I agree the Cayman S was "already somewhat close in AS," except that was against C4s, not C5Zs or C6s. As I said, based upon my firsthand experience, I'm skeptical, but we shall see...

And Yes, it's my intention to get Brian Peters to drive my car at a local event over the next few months, so I can get a handle on its true potential...
Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
I do recall people saying a 350z would never do well in STR as well...yes course dependency comes into play but you won't know until it is tried by someone with talent.
That cuts both ways. To play devil's advocate, those people who said that a 350Z would never do well in STR based their statements on it being a (relatively speaking) big, heavy car that wouldn't be able to leverage its power advantage because it wouldn't be able to put the power down. Sounds vaguely familiar.

I really hope you're right and I'm wrong, though.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Look at it from the other perspective as well, which car brings numbers? Yes you can argue the classing angle, but it is what it is and it can't help but be noticed especially when a car does not bring numbers. A classic example of this was the CS Boxster.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:02 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

No argument there -- I can't think of a single instance of Porsches making up the bulk of a class, even when the Porsches in question were both affordable and competitive. There's some doubt about whether Corvette people will come out in numbers on street tires, but the Porsche people have already demonstrated that they won't.

That being the case, I think it's fine for the club if the Z06 owns A Street, although it would make me sad personally since I want a Cayman S. More worrisome in my opinion is B Street, which could be poised for an S2000 renaissance, but only if the base C5 doesn't prove to be an overdog.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 AM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any thoughts on a 968 in STR(correct class?)? I've been kicking around that idea for a while.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikt
Any thoughts on a 968 in STR(correct class?)? I've been kicking around that idea for a while.
Interesting how times have changed....I remember when a 968 was quite competitive in AS. When I started autocrossing my 964 in 1999 it was in AS, then BS and now it is in CS.
Cars continue to improve....if I keep my 964 long enough, one day it will be in HS
Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
Interesting how times have changed....I remember when a 968 was quite competitive in AS. When I started autocrossing my 964 in 1999 it was in AS, then BS and now it is in CS.
Cars continue to improve....if I keep my 964 long enough, one day it will be in HS
If so many cars get so good that a 964 has to be dropped to HS to be competitive... I think we all win
Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

One of our local hotshoes ran his 944S2 in STR trim for a few years -- he didn't light the world on fire, but he didn't embarrass himself either.

If you look at the car's attributes, it's heavier than an S2000, less rigid, and has worse suspension geometry, all of which makes for a bad start. On the flip side, it's not *much* heavier than the S2000, it's a hair narrower, and it's torquier.

I'd hazard a guess and say it would be an interesting (if expensive) experiment and would probably be good enough to win locally if well driven. If you've already got the car and like the idea, why not give it a shot?
Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 PM
kwikt
Racer

Thanks. I'm leaning that way. I haven't studied up on the rules yet so what are the key allowances.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks. I'm leaning that way. I haven't studied up on the rules yet so what are the key allowances.
Very generally:

Suspension - Springs, shocks, camber plates, sway bars, bushings.
Engine - Intake, header, exhaust, ECU.
Weight - Light seats, battery.
Wheels & Tires - 9" wide max, 255 width max 140tw tires.

There's more and it obviously gets a little better spelled out in the rules, but that's the big stuff.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
No argument there -- I can't think of a single instance of Porsches making up the bulk of a class, even when the Porsches in question were both affordable and competitive. There's some doubt about whether Corvette people will come out in numbers on street tires, but the Porsche people have already demonstrated that they won't.
Please identify the Street Tire class in which an affordable Porsche was competitively placed..
Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ToSi
Please identify the Street Tire class in which an affordable Porsche was competitively placed..
There has been the 986 non S boxster in CS for years including Road Tire years. If that's not affordable, I don't know what is. Speculating on what you think is going to be competitive in Street class is another matter, I know what I think.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:43 AM
kwikt
Racer

Originally Posted by burglar
Very generally:

Suspension - Springs, shocks, camber plates, sway bars, bushings.
Engine - Intake, header, exhaust, ECU.
Weight - Light seats, battery.
Wheels & Tires - 9" wide max, 255 width max 140tw tires.

There's more and it obviously gets a little better spelled out in the rules, but that's the big stuff.
Thanks, now to decide on tires.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Originally Posted by ToSi
Don't we do this every six months or so?

Super Street -- 996 GT3 and 997 GT3, Cayman R / Boxster Spyder?
A Street -- Cayman S / Boxster S?
B Street -- 986 Boxster S?, base Cayman / Boxster?
C Street -- 968
E Street -- 944's a dark horse

In addition, as Tom pointed out, there have been many occasions in the past when Porsches have been *very* competitive or even outright overdogs yet relatively few came out. The 996 GT3 in Super Stock and the Cayman S in the first years of A Stock come to mind.

Fun facts: When Gary Thomason won SS at Nationals in 2008, there were only five people driving Porsches in the 57 driver class. When Ian Stewart won SS at Nationals in 2007, there were only nine people driving Porsches in the 67 (!) driver class. If we go back to when Andy McKee won AS at Nationals in 2001, eleven people out of 40 were driving Porsches, which is better, but still not enough to support a class.

Quick Reply: scca stock class becoming street class!