Notices

scca stock class becoming street class!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:18 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
How is "Sport Mode" acquired? If it's a dealer-installed / Tequipment accessory, which it sounds like it is, it's unambiguously not legal no matter how closely it resembles Sport Chrono.
So long as you retrofit the entire option package, it's legal, though. From what I can gather, it's not a reprogramming, it's just changing a pid to telling the car it has sport chrono. Doesn't matter if the dealer does it or you do it via a chinese knock-off durametric in your garage. The switch isn't an issue- it falls under the comfort/convenience clause and could be omitted entirely. The big question is... what about the dash clock? Does that fall under comfort/convenience, too? Or does it have to be retrofitted?

Incidentally... how is retrofit sport chrono turned on? Do most people retrofit the button(s)?

And no, I didn't get a response... because I haven't actually written the PASM letter yet.

Last edited by sjfehr; 10-10-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Audii-Dudii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
The big question is... what about the dash clock? Does that fall under comfort/convenience, too? Or does it have to be retrofitted?
Just as it seems silly to require, at great expense, installation of the PASM wiring and computer, et al even though one is then going to then swap to non-PASM shocks as allowed by the rules, making it all superfluous, it seems equally silly to require, at great expense, the addition of a dash clock that adds nothing to the car's performance and won't be used during competition ... but them's how the rules read, at least as it stands right now.

Incidentally... how is sport chrono turned on? Do most people retrofit the button(s)?
Both Sport Chrono and Sport Mode are turned on via a button mounted on the console below the radio. The Sport Mode update comes with a replacement switch panel and button, and because it has to be installed by a Porsche dealer -- presumably to alter the vehicle's coding -- I assume most people have the button installed. (In fact, the only ways I know to turn on Sport Chrono / Mode is via the button or a software reflash, such as what Softronics offers ... if there's another way to do it, then I am curious as to what it is.)
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the original subject: SCCA Board of Directors Approves Street Category Proposal For Solo Program.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:10 PM
mikewolf
Intermediate

That's great news. It's the right move in my opinion. Stephen did you buy a Cayman? I thought you wanted something more practical than a cr?
Old 10-12-2013, 02:40 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Originally Posted by mikewolf
Stephen did you buy a Cayman? I thought you wanted something more practical than a cr?
I need something that can carry a rear-facing child seat. My current car can't, but the Cayman can, as Porsche sells a kit that disables the passenger airbag and adds LATCH child seat anchors. For that reason, I've been mentally kicking tires on a lot of Caymans, but try as I might I can't convince myself that they won't get murdered by the Vettes.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:05 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

What class is the 981 base boxster in---2014 and 2015 at the moment ?
Stock
Old 10-13-2013, 07:01 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It's not classed yet, but I wrote a letter requesting classing. Most likely A-street and A-stock, but hard to say until SAC has input.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:35 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
...and my car is no longer competitive.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:01 PM
mikewolf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Because of the z06's?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:40 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Originally Posted by knfeparty
If it's any consolation, some of us aren't sure your car was ever super competitive.

No one really knows how the Street classes will shake out yet. I know really smart, fast guys who are convinced that the Corvettes are doomed even in their new, slower classes. I also know really smart, fast guys who are convinced the Corvettes are going to kill their new, slower classes. The best advice I've seen has been to just show up in whatever you've got and give it a shot, adding to the pool of data in the process. The SAC has twelve months to move things around if it turns out they got it completely wrong, but if people bail before even trying, the SAC may not get the data it needs.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:41 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah; I felt outgunned even by the base model cars so I don't think there's any hope against a z06. Even if you employ the "putting power down" argument, a z06 putting down half its power and torque is still going to be more than a 996 putting down all of its power and torque for the RPM range the 996 uses during autocross.

And yeah, it was in the ballpark before at least but now it seems hopeless.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

80% driver / 20% car, right?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
80% driver / 20% car, right?
You got that right!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

There is no doubt in my mind that the C5Z/C6 will struggle to put down power where the 996 really dont on street tires, I've driven both and know what you get with both. Does that mean the C5Z can't get it done? It has decent sized wheels but all the torque is a bit hard to manage with the shorter gearing compared to a base C5. The 911 puts down power relatively easy and doesn't have as much understeer on street tires compared to race tires, you just have to be very willing to experiment with rear toe and front sway bars.

So, no but I don't agree with the doom and gloom of either side at this point.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Audii-Dudii
Advanced

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
So, no but I don't agree with the doom and gloom of either side at this point.
You may be correct about a 911's chances against a C5Z/C6 on street tires, but what about those of us with Caymans and Boxsters, which make up the bulk of the Porsches competing in AS? I've done some casual comparisons of my 2006 CS against a friend's Z06, both on street tires, and his car didn't seem to suffer all that much...

Quick Reply: scca stock class becoming street class!