Notices

scca stock class becoming street class!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:50 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Also of note, the guys in the gt3 changed tires every single run. They would clean the "other people's rubber" off one set and mount a clean set, then swap them back the next run. Pretty sure they bought two new sets of tires for the second day too. The competition is very stiff in SS and SSR
Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm not too worried about people swapping sticker A6s in SS this year; I'm not the kind of guy to beat people up on rulebook technicalities, but that's a protest I'm pretty sure would be upheld

I tend to think corvette dominance is course dependent in BS & AS, but they've certainly done VERY so far. I don't envy SAC having to make classing decisions.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

SSR is still holding out, right? Curious to see who makes the jump to SS.

These guys were dismounting the wheels to clean OPR every run. Are you allowed one set if tires per event per driver, or per car?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:28 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

With 250 people registered so far for 2014 nats, SSR registration is about 5x SS right now, there are 3 people registered in SS/SSL and 14 in SSR/SSRL. Still a lot of time for things to change; will be interesting to see how it ends up, but there's presently as many people registered for SS as for HSR, GSR, FSR, ESR, DSR, CSR, BSR and ASR combined.

Hopefully the street tires will deal better with OPR than A6s and eliminate a lot of the BS. No rules prohibiting wheel/tire swaps between runs; it's simply at that point of really diminishing returns for the money/effort involved.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:01 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
With 250 people registered so far for 2014 nats, SSR registration is about 5x SS right now, there are 3 people registered in SS/SSL and 14 in SSR/SSRL. Still a lot of time for things to change; will be interesting to see how it ends up, but there's presently as many people registered for SS as for HSR, GSR, FSR, ESR, DSR, CSR, BSR and ASR combined.
The relative numbers aren't likely to change significantly. Sure, there are still three months to go before Nationals, but the national-level season's more than half over, and participation trends have been very clear -- almost no one is playing in SS, or in any of the SR classes except for SSR.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:28 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
SSR is still holding out, right? Curious to see who makes the jump to SS.

These guys were dismounting the wheels to clean OPR every run. Are you allowed one set if tires per event per driver, or per car?
No limits, however all tires are supposed to have been tech inspected along with the car.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:50 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
The relative numbers aren't likely to change significantly. Sure, there are still three months to go before Nationals, but the national-level season's more than half over, and participation trends have been very clear -- almost no one is playing in SS, or in any of the SR classes except for SSR.
The proportions may yet change, though, just because the SSR competition is more established and under direct and explicit threat of having their class deleted if they don't have numbers, and I would fully expect a larger-than-normal % of SSR competitors would register very early for the show of force. I doubt SS will reach parity with SSR this year, but I bet the proportion is a lot higher than 20% come august. Time will tell...
Old 06-14-2014, 11:09 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

I'm not too worried about people swapping sticker A6s in SS this year; I'm not the kind of guy to beat people up on rulebook technicalities, but that's a protest I'm pretty sure would be upheld
Originally Posted by knfeparty
Are you allowed one set if tires per event per driver, or per car?
I think sjfehr's funny was that SS is the street tire class, while SSR is the R-compound class, so people can't run A6s in SS.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:54 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Ohhhhh ok whoops yeah I think that would be! But this was in 2013 when SS was still super stock, not street. So A6 was fine of course...

Say what you will about diminishing returns. The guys that won SS brought more tires than anyone else. For sure they were fast drivers but the biggest difference I saw between them and the rest of the field was the tire regimen.

I don't think I would enjoy my nationals trophy if I knew it cost $10,000 in tires though. At some point I would need a different hobby.

Sorry I won't be ringing my 911, but I'll be at nationals staying at the hojo. Tickets bought, registered in STR.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:21 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Update: Motion Control struts for 987 aren't entirely 1:1 bolt-ins, as they only presently provision for aftermarket coilover springs. Custom spring perches will need to be welded on in order to use OEM springs. Which essentially means destroying your old struts to fit them; no going back!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

That's completely standard for high-end shocks -- I'm not aware of any that are built for OEM springs as opposed to race springs.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:25 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

I've got a well stocked garage, but no welder, and I'm squeamish about chopping up the OEM shocks on my car now. Any shops I talk to about fabbing me something I can just go and bolt in? Part of the appeal for MCS was the apparent ease of install (which would give me $3.5k shocks for my budget vice $2k shocks with $2k of labor to fit them), but if I'm doing this on my own from a set of donors, I'm tempted to just go with koni inserts since that's something I can DIY.

I do worry about DD ride quality on konis, though; how rough is it?

Last edited by sjfehr; 06-25-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Better than us m030 when they're set to soft. Seriously they are great for DD.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Any shops I talk to about fabbing me something I can just go and bolt in?
ANZE Suspension

Ankeny Racing Enterprises
Old 06-25-2014, 07:47 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Awesome, thanks! I had another thought today; what if instead of trying to weld the spring perch, I simply cut it off a donor strut, and pinch it between the jamb nuts normally used for height adjustment? That way, no welding required. Trying to figure out right now if the 987.2 spring perch is identical to 986, in which case I may get up with PorscheG96 for his. (Fortunately, I have both in my garage right now for easy comparison.) Has anyone else done anything like this? Doesn't seem like this should be new territory, but I'm not seeing anything online.

I spoke to Kevin at allshocks.com last night who answered some of my questions, but haven't been able to get ahold of anyone at MCS to get precise dimensions.
Name:  0Z8KV5rl.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  39.4 KB

Quick Reply: scca stock class becoming street class!