Sponsored by:

Corvette ZR 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
nick800
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette ZR 1

Have you guys seen the R&T article on the new ZR1 yet? Do you think those will be selling at a premium?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:34 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick800
Have you guys seen the R&T article on the new ZR1 yet? Do you think those will be selling at a premium?
Yes and yes. Here is a link to the Autoweek article on the ZR1.

With only 2000 units produced/year v. ~5000/year for the Z06 they should command a premium upon release to the general public.

BTW- the first retail-delivery 2009 Corvette ZR1 is tentatively scheduled to go on the block for charity at Barrett-Jackson in a couple of weeks (Jan 19). You think that will go for a premium?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:33 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

I would expect 20k over msrp, damn stupid. Buy a coupe and do a suspension upgrade (plenty of product out there), add a roots or centerfugal s/c. Add HRE wheels and you have a killer looking ride for 70k. We built a few of these and they averaged 510whp/481tq without taxing the motor.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:16 AM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

If you look at previous sales like this, I would expect this to sell for 100-200K over sticker price. That's a bargain for a big-block powered garbage can.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:29 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think we are being very harsh on the new Corvette. It will have a cult following, and every one will be sold. It is more than just a power boost. There is front end weight reduction with CF, engineering of the intercooler, lots of external identification, upgraded suspension, revised gearing, etc. Personally, I would love to have a Porsche that could launch well AND hit 63 mph in first gear.
I also think it will pressure Porsche on the value side, with an increasing number of cars that can match or exceed tt perfromance at lower price. The ZR1 is nothing but good for the car world. AS
Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

It still has a transversal leaf spring in the back.GM needs to put coil-overs on it.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I think it looks pretty cool. The only thing I don't like about it from an engineering standpoint is the air/liquid intercooler. These will always reach their capacity and start heat soaking, which is a shame considering the car is supposed to be the most trackworthy of all the Vettes
Old 01-05-2008, 10:37 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eclou
I think it looks pretty cool. The only thing I don't like about it from an engineering standpoint is the air/liquid intercooler. These will always reach their capacity and start heat soaking, which is a shame considering the car is supposed to be the most trackworthy of all the Vettes

Got one on order, but not without misgivings. The pluses are pretty obvious, as is the potential for heat soak. The engineers claim (?) that because the SC and IC are so close and mounted on top the dissapation issue is no longer what it was. But as you, I quesion this. No SC car I've ever seen can last a full track session, much less a race. I'm sure exceptions exist, but I haven't seen them.

I'll be happy if it's as "trackworthy" out of the box as my mildly modded Z 06. I don't like the exposed CF roof (al a BMW) or the window in the hood. Otherwise I think it looks good.

We are in the last phases of the HP wars. Algore and Co are gonna make it tough as time goes on...

Hence I'll get one and if I don't like it, I'll flip it fast and probably not get scorched too bad.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David A
It still has a transversal leaf spring in the back.GM needs to put coil-overs on it.
Agreed. Also, who thought the plastic window in the hood was a good idea?

Last negative comment: Now that Chevy has addressed the materials used in the interior, why not bring the design up to 21st century standards?? This is not $100K-worthy, IMO:

I think it's a great-looking car on the outside (less the hood window), I love the carbon-fiber content, I'm sure it's insanely fast, etc. The problem is that Chevy always stops a couple steps short of finishing it. Boggles the mind... I guess enough folks out there "deal with it" to make it not worth Chevy's while.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:28 PM
nick800
Intermediate

I tried to order one in St. Louis. The dealer said 3 are coming to this market and have already been sold to their most loyal corvette customers.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:47 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

And Porsche needs to get rid of the rear engine..........
From the dirver's seat, the transverse spring, and the absence of overhead cams are irrelevant. The car works well. The new ZO6, the Nissan GTR, the upcoming Lexus, the audi R8 all put pressure on Porsche to increase real value. I am delighted to see these worthy competitors enter the fray. AS
Old 01-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

from an engineering standpoint, what is wrong with the leaf springs in your opinion?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:02 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

That is a very cool Corvette, get rid of the window in the hood and it would be just about perfect. I wonder why they couldn't get a twin turbo setup to work and went with the sc?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

According to the article in MT they could have gotten a turbo to work. Apparently the new four lobe blower they are using is almost as efficent as a turbocharger and has no lag, so they went that route.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that vette will definitely go for way over list for at least a year. i wouldn't pay over list, but look at the level of performance that car will give you-quicker than a carrera gt. i have both a 997tt and an 08 c6 vette-although i like the turbo better, i always have to remember that the vette cost 1/3 the price of the turbo. you can't argue with 45k and 435 hp.

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR 1