Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bang for the buck performance for sure.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:44 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
It still has a transversal leaf spring in the back.GM needs to put coil-overs on it.
It has a transverse leaf spring in the front, too.

I was hoping the what is now called the ZR1 would have been the Vette that finally handles and steers like a BMW. Instead it's the same large, ponderous handling (my opinion after owning a C5 and a C6 Z06), the same numb steering, with a FANTASTIC amount of hp replacing a SUPER amount of hp. It's weird... why just more power yet no improvement to the steering feeling and suspension.

Imagine if a Vette drove like a BMW M4. That would do it for me.

And if the leaf spring system is OK, why don't they RACE on it?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
It has a transverse leaf spring in the front, too.

I was hoping the what is now called the ZR1 would have been the Vette that finally handles and steers like a BMW. Instead it's the same large, ponderous handling (my opinion after owning a C5 and a C6 Z06), the same numb steering, with a FANTASTIC amount of hp replacing a SUPER amount of hp. It's weird... why just more power yet no improvement to the steering feeling and suspension.

Imagine if a Vette drove like a BMW M4. That would do it for me.

And if the leaf spring system is OK, why don't they RACE on it?
As an owner of an 07 Z 06 with Motons, I understand.

But I'll wait to see how it works with the new shocks. But I'm ready to be underwhelmed...
Old 01-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allegretto
As an owner of an 07 Z 06 with Motons, I understand.

But I'll wait to see how it works with the new shocks. But I'm ready to be underwhelmed...
Z06 w/Motons = Now you just need to strip the interior, throw in some Sparco or Recaros, and have the whole thing redone by Stitchcraft or something.

I REALLY REALLY want to like Corvettes, but I can't get over the corner-cutting Chevy pulls... (Suspension, interior, etc.) As long as Joe Schmo keeps buying whatever Vettes the General puts out, there is no impetus to get the job done.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

+1, been there again with the C6 Z. It's a love hate kind of thing if your into German muscle cars as well.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not to beat the horse to death, but this is the interior of the upcoming 2009 CTS-V. Why can't Chevy do something like this in a Vette???

Old 01-08-2008, 10:28 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The CTS-V steering wheel is from the Saab parts bin.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Not to beat the horse to death, but this is the interior of the upcoming 2009 CTS-V. Why can't Chevy do something like this in a Vette???

Have Caravaggio seats and soon a steering wheel in my Z. Much better than anything most manuf put in. Steering wheel is the coolest thing this side of an Enzo. On that car it's a joke.

To me, that Caddie interior has much too much going on, Nav is useless on an all-out performance car. Much worse the pop-up looks totally gay, again IMHO.

On my cruisers I like toys. On my purpose-mobiles I like it simple. But that's just me perhaps...

Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by whyb2nd
bang for the buck performance for sure.
This is a giggle every time I hear it. Sorry,don't mean to antagonize anyone but...

Tell me about what you call performance. My Z (with a good driver) will eat just about anything you throw at it short of an Enzo, MC-12 or Bug. Road course or 1/4.

I'm not a Vetteboy. In fact,up until about a year ago I would have written the same thing as you.

The Z,with a few expensive upgrades,is still just about the fastest thing out there,at any price.

When it comes back from the "engine doctor" it will have about $125k all in. It will brake, accelerate and turn with the very best and better than almost anything you can buy at any price.

Yeah, it's a Chevy. And, yeah,to the unwashed it looks like any other Vette. But not to guys like You and me.

It's a Freak! If you ride in one that's been set up and tweaked...you'll be extremely impressed. Street or track.

In the past 18 mo I've owned and tracked;

997 C4S
997 TT
997 GT-3 RS
997 GT-3
F 430
F 360

No contest...

Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it's a great car, minus the hood window. The transverse leaf spring arrangement actually works pretty well, has been used in sprint cars for years. Doubt most drivers here would even notice the difference. The interior blows, looks like a camaro. Def blows away porsche on a hp/dollar value ratio. Come on GT2 performance at a carrera s price, can't beat it!
Re the TT vette, I think they had a lot of temperature/fire problems in testing the 'blue demon', found that the sc worked better.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:13 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think it's a great car, minus the hood window. The transverse leaf spring arrangement actually works pretty well, has been used in sprint cars for years. Doubt most drivers here would even notice the difference. The interior blows, looks like a camaro. Def blows away porsche on a hp/dollar value ratio. Come on GT2 performance at a carrera s price, can't beat it!
Re the TT vette, I think they had a lot of temperature/fire problems in testing the 'blue demon', found that the sc worked better.
Interesting theory. I don't really care TC/SC and was disappointed that the ZR-1 uses FI at all. Many were hoping for an ultra-light Z 06 (2800-2950) with some additional motor tricks but NA. If you can't cook with the TQ that LS-7 puts out, you don't belong in the kitchen! SC'ing a 6.2L was about my fourth choice. They say adding lightness is the most expensive thing.

But I don't get paid the Big Bucks to design 'em, I just buy 'em...or NOT. Have the 1 slot at the dealer for one. We'll see...

Old 01-08-2008, 11:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, was disappointed with the FI as well, expected a more track oriented monster rather than a gt cruiser. Should be a sweet ride!
Old 01-09-2008, 02:30 AM
Turbofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
The new ZO6, the Nissan GTR, the upcoming Lexus, the audi R8 all put pressure on Porsche to increase real value. I am delighted to see these worthy competitors enter the fray. AS
Well said.... I agree 100%

Competition is what drove Mr. Porsche in the beginning and let's assume it will continue to drive
Porsche for decades to come.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:34 AM
TT_man
Advanced

Originally Posted by eclou
I think it looks pretty cool. The only thing I don't like about it from an engineering standpoint is the air/liquid intercooler. These will always reach their capacity and start heat soaking, which is a shame considering the car is supposed to be the most trackworthy of all the Vettes
Heat soak, yes most defitnetly. The new Viper ACR is going to beat this car on the road course. Im curious to see how many laps around a track before it starts to over heat. I cant wait to see this car go up against the ACR. The new Viper motors true numbers are 620hps.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:38 AM
TT_man
Advanced

Originally Posted by allegretto
This is a giggle every time I hear it. Sorry,don't mean to antagonize anyone but...

Tell me about what you call performance. My Z (with a good driver) will eat just about anything you throw at it short of an Enzo, MC-12 or Bug. Road course or 1/4.

I'm not a Vetteboy. In fact,up until about a year ago I would have written the same thing as you.

The Z,with a few expensive upgrades,is still just about the fastest thing out there,at any price.

When it comes back from the "engine doctor" it will have about $125k all in. It will brake, accelerate and turn with the very best and better than almost anything you can buy at any price.

Yeah, it's a Chevy. And, yeah,to the unwashed it looks like any other Vette. But not to guys like You and me.

It's a Freak! If you ride in one that's been set up and tweaked...you'll be extremely impressed. Street or track.

In the past 18 mo I've owned and tracked;

997 C4S
997 TT
997 GT-3 RS
997 GT-3
F 430
F 360

No contest...

The 08 Viper will toast your vette. Road course and 1/4mile..

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR 1