Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette ZR 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think sports cars and quality interiors are incompatible. I love sports cars and also want mine to do daily driver duty, and also do weekend trips with my wife, and a quality interior is a big plus in those situations. I agree the interior should not be the focus of the car.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know why you guys complain about the vettes interior. its a bit better than the Gran Ama rental car I had. BTW I like the advances the Z06 made over the regular vette but this Duke freshman is nothing more than LZ6 with a blower. what technological advance is that? And if these cars are the same supercar performance at 1/2 the cost they depreciate at twice the rate to make up for it.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I dont know why you guys complain about the vettes interior. its a bit better than the Gran Ama rental car I had. BTW I like the advances the Z06 made over the regular vette but this Duke freshman is nothing more than LZ6 with a blower. what technological advance is that? And if these cars are the same supercar performance at 1/2 the cost they depreciate at twice the rate to make up for it.

Sorry to differ, but using my 02 996ttX50 as an example, my purchase price was $143,000 and current value is somewhere in the mid $50,000 range. I have expereinced 63% depreciation, but have lost $90,000.
Had I waited a bit and purchased a C6Z06 for $75,000 and sold it after 6 years, I might experience 80% depreciation (but maybe far less). Even that would only cost $56,000.
To have the same economic consequence as my Porsche depreciation, I would have to give the new owner of the Corvette $15,000 (plus my Z06) to take it off my hands. That is unlikely, tho I welcome humorous replies.
The more expensive car to buy is invariably the more expensive car to own. The difference has to be "worth it" to the buyer. In my case, I am much happier with my Porsche after 6 years than I would have been with a Corvette, but I am not more affluent as a consequence. AS
Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent point Alexander! The actual dollar cost, not the depreciation is what matters. Reminds me of the sale signs you always see at struggling retail stores - it doesn't matter whether the item is 80% off - only what you end up paying for it.

Interestingly enough, I have also experienced 63% depreciation in nine years on my '99 C5 Corvette. Bought new for $41,000 and market now is about $15,000.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:25 PM
2k7997tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the interior.

If the quality of the interior build is not an important factor....then modify a ZO6 and take a 30K vacation.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:40 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Z06 w/Motons = Now you just need to strip the interior, throw in some Sparco or Recaros, and have the whole thing redone by Stitchcraft or something.

I REALLY REALLY want to like Corvettes, but I can't get over the corner-cutting Chevy pulls... (Suspension, interior, etc.) As long as Joe Schmo keeps buying whatever Vettes the General puts out, there is no impetus to get the job done.
chris-my friend, i think that you are missing the whole point-i paid $45,000 for a 430 hp c6 vette versus $126,000 for my 07 997tt (i kept both). does my vette have the same level of refinement/interior quality/technical competance as my 997tt-no, it doesn't, but it sure is fun to drive, it looks great, it has a load of growl and zoom, and i can get 3 vettes for what i paid for my turbo. for 45 grand, i can drive a great looking sport car that has world beating performance. that is the point that you are missing. i think that there will always be a lot of joe schmos out there to pay that kind of money for that kind of looks and power. what other car except a vette can do that for you? as my friend alexander stemer says, we are being a bit too tough on the vette. so if this is the typr of corner cutting that we have to deal with to get a $45,000 car with that kind of performance, then i'll deal with it. and, if i was lucky to have another $23,000, i could have a 505hp z06-that isn't a problem. listen to the mastiff dog who has both a z06 and a turbo-he isn't suffering. again, remember what we are paying for these vettes.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 AM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone purchased serial #001 at Barrett-Jackson yesterday for a cool million.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docjackson1
chris-my friend, i think that you are missing the whole point-i paid $45,000 for a 430 hp c6 vette versus $126,000 for my 07 997tt (i kept both). does my vette have the same level of refinement/interior quality/technical competance as my 997tt-no, it doesn't, but it sure is fun to drive, it looks great, it has a load of growl and zoom, and i can get 3 vettes for what i paid for my turbo. for 45 grand, i can drive a great looking sport car that has world beating performance. that is the point that you are missing. i think that there will always be a lot of joe schmos out there to pay that kind of money for that kind of looks and power. what other car except a vette can do that for you? as my friend alexander stemer says, we are being a bit too tough on the vette. so if this is the typr of corner cutting that we have to deal with to get a $45,000 car with that kind of performance, then i'll deal with it. and, if i was lucky to have another $23,000, i could have a 505hp z06-that isn't a problem. listen to the mastiff dog who has both a z06 and a turbo-he isn't suffering. again, remember what we are paying for these vettes.
I don't begrudge anyone buying a Vette - after all, I owned an Evo for a while. My point was that I can't imagine living with that interior on a daily basis. It's not just the materials (which have improved significantly), but the "design". Benchmark the Vette interior to other $40K-ish cars even (G37, BMWs, Audis, etc.). To each his own... I will never dismiss the "bang for the buck" crown that the Vette owns, deservedly.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Now this is a bad *** vette. Corvette Katech Street Attack Z06 http://www.katechengines.com/street_...vetteC6Z06.php
Watch this vid of the Street Attack pkg in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXSZwJr39TY
Katech builds the C6R GT 1 Vettes with Pratt and Miller
Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 PM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

I don't think it really matters how much you pay for it. If you're buying any Corvette you're paying a premium.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:42 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by detailjohn
I don't think it really matters how much you pay for it. If you're buying any Corvette you're paying a premium.
i don't understand your point-you are saying that you pay a premium to buy any vette? you understand that all vettes (except upcoming zr1) now sell for $5000 to $8000 off.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alphahunter
Now this is a bad *** vette. Corvette Katech Street Attack Z06 http://www.katechengines.com/street_...vetteC6Z06.php
Watch this vid of the Street Attack pkg in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXSZwJr39TY
Katech builds the C6R GT 1 Vettes with Pratt and Miller
He he he,

My Z 06 is at Katech right now for that particular "enhancement"

Old 03-09-2008, 10:05 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
He he he,

My Z 06 is at Katech right now for that particular "enhancement"

Not to hijack the thread but where will you be posting your observations on the Katech package? I would like to hear your commentary "post-enhancement."
Old 03-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by mkozink
Not to hijack the thread but where will you be posting your observations on the Katech package? I would like to hear your commentary "post-enhancement."
Thats awesome. I would like to follow this build as well.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:35 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Well I don't want to be a boor and start posting Corvette stories here but as long as the Mods don't throw me out, I will tell the story of the details.

But out of respect, I'll start a new thread. I'll include sufficient background for context as well. Just have to finish a presentation that has a very hard deadline. I know many here understand.

See ya soon...

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR 1