Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 04:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikon
I’m curious if these BAT sales actually go through? Like I understand BAT will get their cut but what’s the odds of a buddy bidding it so market can go up for fellow people.
It costs nothing to whip up a bidding frenzy and only $5k if you end up being the highest bidder in the end. BaT doesn't care if a transaction actually occurs, as long as they get their $5k. So technically you could bid up a car $50k above market, pay $5k, then someone else from your "team" bids a similar car $50k above market, pays $5k and for $10k you've established a new "market" $50k higher than before for the few cars you have in inventory. Phones are ringing off the hook to buy them for $30k more than before. Profit.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:53 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
It costs nothing to whip up a bidding frenzy and only $5k if you end up being the highest bidder in the end. BaT doesn't care if a transaction actually occurs, as long as they get their $5k. So technically you could bid up a car $50k above market, pay $5k, then someone else from your "team" bids a similar car $50k above market, pays $5k and for $10k you've established a new "market" $50k higher than before for the few cars you have in inventory. Phones are ringing off the hook to buy them for $30k more than before. Profit.
I've seen that happen before, but I think it is unlikely in this particular case. "Think" being the operative word, as I've learned that I don't really know anything.

The reason for that is that there is truly a dearth of supply on the market, and all of the "off-market" cars that would have been bought up by speculators, if they were doing such a thing, are still in the hands of owners, and very much not for sale for any rational amount of money. Granted, I don't know of every secret transaction that occurs, but a large enough percentage of them that I would probably know if they were being hoarded for the purposes of manipulating the market.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:14 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by switchcars
I've seen that happen before, but I think it is unlikely in this particular case. "Think" being the operative word, as I've learned that I don't really know anything.

The reason for that is that there is truly a dearth of supply on the market, and all of the "off-market" cars that would have been bought up by speculators, if they were doing such a thing, are still in the hands of owners, and very much not for sale for any rational amount of money. Granted, I don't know of every secret transaction that occurs, but a large enough percentage of them that I would probably know if they were being hoarded for the purposes of manipulating the market.
Doug, I agree. I was talking in general and hypothetically. You have a much better sense of whether something like this is actually happening with the GT3/RS market. I already suggested my hypothesis for the current jump: impending hyper-inflation and the people with $$$ which are close to the money spigot trading ever less valuable $$$ for luxury, rare, irreplaceable assets.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:36 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

at the end of an auction;
BaT get's their cut
BaT connects seller and "winner"
It's up to seller and "winner" to work things out from that point.
I'm unsure of BaT's involvement at that point.

Shill biller will be on the hook for $$$ if they are high bidder, but what shill would bid more than reserve???
Old 03-01-2021, 05:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
at the end of an auction;
BaT get's their cut
BaT connects seller and "winner"
It's up to seller and "winner" to work things out from that point.
I'm unsure of BaT's involvement at that point.

Shill biller will be on the hook for $$$ if they are high bidder, but what shill would bid more than reserve???
That's the point I was making. If the shill bidder was in the same "team" as the seller, it only costed them $5k (paid to BaT and ONLY if they ended up being the highest bidder) to paint any price they want on the screens and never even do a transaction. $5k is a small price to pay for establishing a new market price that's $50k higher than before. BaT has control over the reserve price, so it likely won't allow a reserve that's $50k above market.

Last edited by hf1; 03-01-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:12 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ I look at BaT. I don't bother, the truly good cars change hand privately.
I sold off a few of my 997RS.
one email, one wire, gone.
BaT... bidding frenzy.
I am quoting Mooty, since he knows me. In the past 14 months, I sold 7 cars. Five were very nice GT Porsches (including 3 997GT cars), and I was able to sell them privately to friends and/or locals who became friends. This was a great experience for me, including invaluable advice from Doug and Mooty. Really thank you.

But I also sold 2 other nice but non-Porsches on BAT, where I do not have a network. My BAT experience was also awesome, once I overcame the frenzy of comments. I have to say that both cars sold for 20% more than what I was ready to get rid of them for. It was unbelievable the comments and question that some people ask about things that I did not think anyone would even care about!

Last edited by Igooz; 03-01-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:32 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
If you guys are up for some entertainment, and haven't yet subscribed to GTvault.....do so. We have an epic one coming this afternoon.
@switchcars hmmm...the car in question as of last Wednesday getting delivered for annual service.

Along with customer's other GT2 for servicing.

I'm sure my contact at dealer would have mentioned that he was considering selling....also, sort of hard for car to be 2 places at the same time.

What's the scam being run anyway? Mail box of cash, we ship you gt2?

Last edited by atlrvr; 03-01-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:38 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
In the past 14 months, I sold 7 cars.
That's a full-time job!
The following users liked this post:
fijibubba (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:38 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Man 991s are hefty
The following users liked this post:
Flat6997 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:52 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,057 Likes on 504 Posts

My BAT experience was also awesome, once I overcame the frenzy of comments. I have to say that both cars sold for 20% more than what I was ready to get rid of them for. It was unbelievable the comments and question that some people ask about things that I did not think anyone would even care about!
I've sold 3, but nothing over 60k. The comments and questions are a double-edged sword. The f*cking armchair automotive professors with zero intent of bidding on your car (and comment / bid history to prove it), are interminably obnoxious. "Looks like there may be a mismatched tire date code on the LF; I was going to bid, but now I'm out." Oh, really jackass? The only thing you've ever bid on was $2,500 on a rusted out MG 5 years ago. STFU and stop detracting from my auction. My friends and I realized that if 3 people flag those posts as unconstructive, BaT automatically removes the pedantry.
The following 3 users liked this post by jreifler:
C Alexander (03-01-2021), monk46 (03-02-2021), switchcars (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:24 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
I've sold 3, but nothing over 60k. The comments and questions are a double-edged sword. The f*cking armchair automotive professors with zero intent of bidding on your car (and comment / bid history to prove it), are interminably obnoxious. "Looks like there may be a mismatched tire date code on the LF; I was going to bid, but now I'm out." Oh, really jackass? The only thing you've ever bid on was $2,500 on a rusted out MG 5 years ago. STFU and stop detracting from my auction. My friends and I realized that if 3 people flag those posts as unconstructive, BaT automatically removes the pedantry.
These 2 cars were not top cars either and one of them needed to be restored. I just needed them gone, and frankly, I would have taken cash for 50% of end result and not wasted my time...water on ducks back, as you know...
Old 03-01-2021, 10:32 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

These 2 cars were not top cars either and one of them needed to be restored. I just needed them gone, and frankly, I would have taken cash for 50% of end result and not wasted my time...water on ducks back, as you know...
Igooz, curious what you kept!?
Old 03-01-2021, 10:36 PM
KDAWG97M3
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Go buy it and put it on BaT. There must be more to the story. Not many if any dealers out there that don't know the auction market especially BaT. $156K for a 10k miles Pumpkin is the best you're going to find, even if it had much higher mileage. If it pans out and is truly a solid car, you should buy it, really! It would be great to lay eyes on it, even through a link to the dealer. Care to share?
The car he is talking about is at Colorado Springs Porsche. Has major paintwork. 13mils on the door. It used to have aftermarket wheels too....we aren’t comparing apples to apples.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:39 PM
KDAWG97M3
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by texass4
I agree with you on the dealer front. That's why I'm puzzled. The dealer car is the exact same pumpkin, reasonable owner history with about 10K miles...near as makes no difference the same story as the BaT car that just closed for 195K.

So that's just the thing. I don't think there is any more to the story other than BaT has captured all of the eyeballs. Collectors and would-be owners alike. Not just in the P car market, but all across the board...cars are selling for ridiculous prices compared to others around the online marketplace if you're diligent enough. I know collector car market items have gone nuts during COVID lockdown, that's not what I'm talking about...I'm thinking this is a total mindshare issue. I used Amazon as an example earlier. Remember when Prime was a new thing, and people just bought endless amounts of whatever with zero regard to how much it may cost if they just did a generic search elsewhere? I know, I know...what's changed, right? But still...if you follow my logic, it seems like that whole "click, buy, done" ethos may have just jumped over to the car market to a degree.

I keep a list of cars of all kinds that I've seen on BaT and/or search for independently to add to the garage. Seems like there really is a BaT uplift. Just trying to figure it out.
the car you are talking about is a black and orange. Not a pumpkin...
Old 03-01-2021, 11:50 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Ah, see, a story, and not a Pumpkin after all. $156K may make sense now.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...